Ctek charger question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Hi all
I have a Ctek 5.0 charger and I understand that when it is ‘bulk’ charging the unit gets warm. That’s fine and is normal. I have the comfort connector which consists of two ring eyelet connectors on the battery and the quick release black and orange plug which connects the charger to the battery. When in ‘bulk’ mode this plug also gets warm. Is this normal? Once it goes into ‘float/trickle’ mode, the current reduces and the connector and the charger goes cold. I was just about worried about the connector getting warm. Anyone else noticed this?

The connector getting warm means it's not making as good a connection as it could. There's not much you can do with the holes side , but if it were mine I'd bend the pins outwards a very small amount, so they push harder against the insides of the socket. If you don't fancy that, spray both parts with switch cleaner.

The connector getting warm means it's not making as good a connection as it could. There's not much you can do with the holes side , but if it were mine I'd bend the pins outwards a very small amount, so they push harder against the insides of the socket. If you don't fancy that, spray both parts with switch cleaner.
Sounds like a good idea. I will give it a go. It also depends if it’s the actual pins in the connector or the wire to the connector not terminated well enough

^^^ That's a distinct possibility, although there's little you can do about it bar squeezing the ends with pliers where you think the crimps are.

Mine gets warm when doing a decent charge and pushing some amps for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom