Ctek charging w204 c63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gavnr

SUPPORTER
Car
W204 c63 estate
Hi, I noticed from general searching that ctek mx5 is a popular choice for keeping battery in good shape but have a few questions

1. For a w204 c63, do people connect to battery in the boot or terminals under bonnet?

2. My car sits in garage, if connected under bonnet, do you recommend leaving the bonnet open given ctek heats up? Any issues with locking the car with bonnet open?

3. Do people leave the ctek connected indefinitely?

Thanks

They come with the option of either using the clips in which case I use the under bonnet terminals, with my SLK I could put the bonnet down ( carefully ) but not push it down to lock it. Did this if it was going to be connected just for a few hours short term.
I also with my previous E class and ML's used the permanent connections ( also supplied ) to the battery which are joined in a easy fit connector which is left on permanently and allowed a immediate connection to the charger ( boot for eclass and under driver's seat for the ML ).
Used the last two set up's when the cars were being left on charge for longterm storage.
Have had two CTEK 's for about 7 years and am really pleased with them even though they are not the latest models

Oh and meant to say that the actual charger unit itself has always been left outside the car as the leads are long enough to ensure it is away from the battery. Suspect I am being over cautious and it would be ok In the boot but I once had an old style charger catch fire when my house (not in uk) had a lightning strike and the resulting electricity spike shorted the charger which caught fire and completely burned out.

Hi, I noticed from general searching that ctek mx5 is a popular choice for keeping battery in good shape but have a few questions

1. For a w204 c63, do people connect to battery in the boot or terminals under bonnet?

2. My car sits in garage, if connected under bonnet, do you recommend leaving the bonnet open given ctek heats up? Any issues with locking the car with bonnet open?

Thanks
MB, Bentley, Porsche etc sell chargers which are rebranded CTEKS - they are good. For the SL, they recommend using the jump start points (I think to keep both batteries in good nick). I'd expect that there is some sort of isolation between the main and aux batteries to prevent one draining the other so only connection to one may not keep both topped (not 100% sure but I follow what MB recommend & have no problems).

Thanks
1. Terminals under bonnet.

2. There’s no need to put the CTEK unit itself under the bonnet. Buy the CTEK extension cable to give yourself more flexibility on placement. If you need to close the bonnet, then look for an area with soft edges, usually the rear of the bonnet where there’s usually a soft seal. Avoid routing it near the latches and hinges.

3. They’re battery conditioners and so they’re designed to be permanently attached, so you can leave it on for as long as the car is parked.

OK cool. Thanks everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom