CTEK for 2020 E63S - permanent install?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jibbajabba

SUPPORTER
Car
E63S
Anyone connected the cable permanently ? They are loop connectors but the positive point is flat and I don’t want to drill a hole in there.

Anyone connected the cable somehow permanently?

is the battery in the boot and can you just connect it straight there ?

I have a CTEK charger but I simply have a CTEK lead coming off the battery and then have the female insulated little plug laying in a convenient position. All we do whenever the battery needs charging is place the caharger on the floor of our estate and plug in the charger, no raising the floor, no removing panels.

In the 'stretched limo', just open the front passenger door, plop the charger on the carpet and pug it into the CTEK lead coming from the battery.

Job's a good'un

There may well be better places but this is what we have but NOT that long :)

I have a CTEK charger but I simply have a CTEK lead coming off the battery and then have the female insulated little plug laying in a convenient position. All we do whenever the battery needs charging is place the caharger on the floor of our estate and plug in the charger, no raising the floor, no removing panels.

In the 'stretched limo', just open the front passenger door, plop the charger on the carpet and pug it into the CTEK lead coming from the battery.

Job's a good'un
Not sure I understand. Where did you connect the lead to then. Must admit, haven’t found the battery itself yet lol.

Oh it seems in the ending compartment. So you routes the wires for the ctek to the passenger compartment ?!?

I fitted the Ctek lead in the boot in my S63. You connect the positive to the battery but negative goes to a "handy" screw on the bodywork, not to battery negative. (see video at 40-50 secs which states this). You then just connect Ctek., allow boot to close as the cable gets trapped on the seal so perfectly safe. You need a Ctek comfort connector which connects to battery (as above) so there is always a permanent feed, then you connect Ctek charger unit to this. Comfort connector can be had from Amazon/ Ebay etc. About £5
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• IMG20201219121427.jpg
    IMG20201219121427.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Yea thanks. I know how the ctek itself works but I am trying to find out where to connect it physically. Battery I believe is in the engine bay with doesn’t have screw connectors it seems.

I used the under bonnet jump connector on my S63. Yes, that did mean drilling it.

I found a way without needing to drill anything .. Ground fit at the regular ground and connected live to the live directly to battery .. The plug can tug right under the sidewall of the engine bay - JUST lol - for the bonnet strut to still fit when the bonnet is closed ...

dsdada.jpg

Might actually extend the cable a bit to bring it more to the front so it is closer to the gearage when I pull up ..

Fitted the Magcode adaptor, as recommended by @Bobby Dazzler, to a customer's 991 Porsche last week. Lovely piece of kit!

I found a way without needing to drill anything .. Ground fit at the regular ground and connected live to the live directly to battery .. The plug can tug right under the sidewall of the engine bay - JUST lol - for the bonnet strut to still fit when the bonnet is closed ...

View attachment 106338

Might actually extend the cable a bit to bring it more to the front so it is closer to the gearage when I pull up ..
If you are lifting the bonnet anyway why don't you just clip it to the connectors when you need to plug it in? My bonnet still closes with the Croc clips..

If you are lifting the bonnet anyway why don't you just clip it to the connectors when you need to plug it in? My bonnet still closes with the Croc clips..
That's what I do, connect it all up, close the bonnet and leave it on overnight, need to drill anything

View attachment 106338

Might actually extend the cable a bit to bring it more to the front so it is closer to the garage when I pull up ..

Did exactly the same thing with both cars , makes it so much easier and neater rather that using the clips.

K

If I were fitting the leads permanently I would be looking at fitting an in-line fuse as close to the battery positive as possible.

My CLS and SL both have the tails connected to the battery, with the rubber connector in the boot. (both main batteries are in the boot on those cars) I beieve ctek do leads with different size holes for the battery end. The first lead i got was too small but the others were fine. Ebay is your friend here.

Very tight fit though. I did have it before that the crock clip came of when closing the bonnet. Now the ctek connector fits under the rubber seal of the cover over the battery compartment nicely tucked away and yes, whilst the action of opening the bonnet is the same I won’t have to worry that the lid hits the clamp :)

On my C55 I had the CTEK tail on the battery permanently with the weather proof connector nestling under the bonnet tucked in behind the windscreen wipers, worked well

Did exactly the same thing with both cars , makes it so much easier and neater rather that using the clips.

K
How could it be easier or neater having extra wires:)? Have to "untuck" the extra wires, connect them and then "tuck" them in again after you have finished charging. Surely all jump start points (recommended by MB as the charging points) are in accessible positions and pretty simple to connect crocodile clips onto;). I often think we are solving problems that do not exist.

Or we could just accept that the cars vary and hence so do the solutions

How could it be easier or neater having extra wires:)? Have to "untuck" the extra wires, connect them and then "tuck" them in again after you have finished charging. Surely all jump start points (recommended by MB as the charging points) are in accessible positions and pretty simple to connect crocodile clips onto;). I often think we are solving problems that do not exist.

The positive , jump start, connection on the BMW and Porsche are perilously close to the underside of the closed bonnet so having to position the clip on connections takes a bit of trial + error , unfortunately the error side of things could result in the + clamp being used as a big fuse should it come into contact with the earthed bonnet.

No untucking / tucking required as i made them as short as possible so just plug / play / forget it until the charger says :thumb:

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom