Ctek mxs 5 charger.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
Just after some advice regarding the recently purchased Ctek mxs 5 charger I now have.

When I first received the charger and attached it to the car, few weeks before Christmas. I put it on the AGM setting and the car setting. It went through its process of starting at 1 the 2 the 3 then on and on. Eventually sitting at option 7 I think it is. A full green bar basically. When I checked it over every other day it would be still at the highest setting, no 7.

So when I use the car I disconnect the plug, then disconnect the crocodile clamps I have on the negative and positive under bonnet terminals.

So I have done this now say 7/8 times. Is there a correct method in disconnecting the Ctek charger or does it sound like I'm doing it correctly. Should I turn it off on the actual charger or just unplug as bern doing.

I ask this because yesterday when I returned after driving the car, I attached the ctek straight away before allowing the car to cool. Then when I returned to it today, the charger bar was only sitting at option 3/4 I can't remember exactly. It's as though it wasn't charging. Am i using the charger incorrectly or am i doing something wrong?

Thank you.

Tom

I disconnect the Ctek a similar way pulling the 3 pin plug then the fly lead plug that is connected to the battery.

Is there a reason you have used the charger 8/9 times in a month Tom?
I found I only had to put my E63 battery on a charge if I left it for more than a week/10 days.
The cold spell will however quickly lower the output of a less than perfect battery.

I got a new Yuasa battery for my S204 and left it over 2 weeks in the cold snap to go on holiday.
Fired first turn of the key on return and I only use the car a couple of times a week.
A good battery really does make a difference.

Just after some advice regarding the recently purchased Ctek mxs 5 charger I now have.

When I first received the charger and attached it to the car, few weeks before Christmas. I put it on the AGM setting and the car setting. It went through its process of starting at 1 the 2 the 3 then on and on. Eventually sitting at option 7 I think it is. A full green bar basically. When I checked it over every other day it would be still at the highest setting, no 7.

So when I use the car I disconnect the plug, then disconnect the crocodile clamps I have on the negative and positive under bonnet terminals.

So I have done this now say 7/8 times. Is there a correct method in disconnecting the Ctek charger or does it sound like I'm doing it correctly. Should I turn it off on the actual charger or just unplug as bern doing.

I ask this because yesterday when I returned after driving the car, I attached the ctek straight away before allowing the car to cool. Then when I returned to it today, the charger bar was only sitting at option 3/4 I can't remember exactly. It's as though it wasn't charging. Am i using the charger incorrectly or am i doing something wrong?

Thank you.

Tom
You’re doing it right. Good practice would be to isolate from the mains electricity supply first. by switching off at the mains socket switch and unplugging the three-pin plug. Then remove your crocodile clips, keeping them away from the bodywork and other components.

Without being sure of timings and the stage number it was at then it’s difficult to gauge what was happening. However if it was connected incorrectly or there was a problem with the battery, then the warning LED would illuminate (red with exclamation mark beside it) and no charging stage LED would be illuminated

To be honest Roger, I've just got used to connecting the charger to the car to keep the battery to optimum charge to be honest. The battery is only a year or so old. Where I hadn't driven the car to much of late and it being bitter cold out I just thought it a good thing to keep it charged up.

I should really turn off at the mains switch first. The reason I hadn't as I like to see at what stage the charger is at once I lift the bonnet.

So I have just been out to check the charger. When I first put it on about 4 45 pm it was at setting 3. It was at setting 4 when I just checked. I'll check in the morning before work at about 5 30am to see what it's reading. It should be at no7 would you think? If not what could be causing the battery to not charge?

Thanks

I should really turn off at the mains switch first. The reason I hadn't as I like to see at what stage the charger is at once I lift the bonnet.
It will be fine not disconnecting first, but best avoided really. Just make sure don’t touch anything - body or components - to be on the safe side.

So I have just been out to check the charger. When I first put it on about 4 45 pm it was at setting 3. It was at setting 4 when I just checked. I'll check in the morning before work at about 5 30am to see what it's reading. It should be at no7 would you think? If not what could be causing the battery to not charge?

Thanks

These smart chargers perform all sorts of tests and analysis on the battery ... I've sometimes had to leave them connected for a day or more to reach the final stage (depending on the age & condition of the battery). I assume you've watched Ctek's videos e.g.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

These smart chargers perform all sorts of tests and analysis on the battery ... I've sometimes had to leave them connected for a day or more to reach the final stage (depending on the age & condition of the battery). I assume you've watched Ctek's videos e.g.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I haven't, but I will now 😁👍

I think you’re using old school logic on a new tech device.

I’ve used CTEK’s for a decade or more and, from memory they go through this kind of cycle regardless of state of charge.

I think, but I’m not sure, that they deliberately go through a slow charge cycle, much the same way that your phone charges itself slowly overnight. I might be wrong on this.

A much smarter electrician will be along in a minute, but I think you’re being too wary, unless you’re having a starting problem which I’ve missed.

Generally, it’s always been said that it’s better for battery health to let batteries go up and down than to keep them 100% charged, whether it’s Laptops, phones or EV’s.

Last edited:
Checked at 5 47 this morning Charger reading at stage 7. All seems good 👍

No starting issues what so ever, I thought the device may have come faulty, but it doesn't seem so.

Appreciate all the advice thank you.

Generally, it’s always been said that it’s better for battery health to let batteries go up and down than to keep them 100% charged, whether it’s Laptops, phones or EV’s.
DEFINITELY not. Car batteries should be fully charged all the time. Leaving them at a low charge for any amount of time is a quick way to permanently reduce there capacity and shorten their life....letting them drop bellow 12v (about 50% charge) will kill them even quicker. Exca tly the reason many people leave CTEK chargers permanently connected on cars/motorcycles that are seldom used. Lap/top and phone batteries do benefit from being near fully discharged once in a whle but they are very different tech. Not using my car much in lockdown and forgetting to charge it killed my AGM battery in under 4 years.

I’m not an expert but I believe that sulfation is the reason that car batteries can be ruined when lead acid batteries flatten. Crystals build up on the inside of the battery and reduce its capacity, affecting the ability to charge and discharge to its full potential.

Modern chargers and conditioners like CTEK have regeneration modes which can improve sulfation in traditional lead acid batteries, however my understanding is that this shouldn’t be done on AGM batteries and so is pretty much irreversible.

Thank you.

Tom
Just as a slight aside, I wouldn't be messing about with crocodile clips. Far easier to use a CTEK flying lead permanently attached to the battery, so you simply plug and unplug as needed. Avoids potential problems with croc clips touching where they shouldn't!

DEFINITELY not. Car batteries should be fully charged all the time. Leaving them at a low charge for any amount of time is a quick way to permanently reduce there capacity and shorten their life....letting them drop bellow 12v (about 50% charge) will kill them even quicker. Exca tly the reason many people leave CTEK chargers permanently connected on cars/motorcycles that are seldom used. Lap/top and phone batteries do benefit from being near fully discharged once in a whle but they are very different tech. Not using my car much in lockdown and forgetting to charge it killed my AGM battery in under 4 years.
My understanding is that owners of garage Queen “collections” leave their cars on CTEK’s because they drive their vehicles no more than a handful of times a year and so risk flattened batteries, which is nothing like the case here.

As for the “need” to be fully charged, virtually every car on the road isn’t fully charged. Most People don’t own or use chargers Short distances, especially in winter, drain batteries. Yet still those 35 million vehicles roll on.

I use the eyelet connectors on the battery so that I can just plug in and out from the connector. Mine is permanently connected. Nowadays, I average about driving once a month when I give it a good long drive.

I thought the C-tek discharges down to 95% now and then and then charges back up to full. I can't remember where I read that or may have been an older model.

I bought my 2012 car from a trader back in 2016 when they had let the battery go flat enough that it couldn't start the car. They jump started with a strong battery but I thought it had permanently damaged the battery.

I recovered it using the C-tek to fully charge and its been going since on the same battery from new.

It will be fine not disconnecting first, but best avoided really. Just make sure don’t touch anything - body or components - to be on the safe side.
Instructions say to turn the mains off first but there is absolutely no need to unplug it from the mains.

Just as a slight aside, I wouldn't be messing about with crocodile clips. Far easier to use a CTEK flying lead permanently attached to the battery, so you simply plug and unplug as needed. Avoids potential problems with croc clips touching where they shouldn't!
People only install them because Ctek supply the flylead with the charger. I doubt many go out and purchase them.

I’ve been "messing about" with crocodile clips for 50+ years of driving & never had a problem. Just follow correct procedure. I’ve a set of flyleads that came with my CTek (purchased in 2008) - still in the bag.

My understanding is that owners of garage Queen “collections” leave their cars on CTEK’s because they drive their vehicles no more than a handful of times a year and so risk flattened batteries, which is nothing like the case here.

As for the “need” to be fully charged, virtually every car on the road isn’t fully charged. Most People don’t own or use chargers Short distances, especially in winter, drain batteries. Yet still those 35 million vehicles roll on.

Different battery chemistries have different requirements for storage / charge / discharge if you want to achieve maximum lifespan. Wet lead/acid batteries in particular definitely benefit from being kept fully charged - they are supplied and stored that way before fitting, and leaving them standing partially charged for any length of time causes degradation. Of course plenty of them aren't kept fully charged in day to day use ... which is why they fail prematurely. People accept replacing batteries every 3-5 years as normal, yet the one in my SL (kept on a maintenance charger) is still going strong after 19+ years.

People only install them because Ctek supply the flylead with the charger. I doubt many go out and purchase them.

I’ve been "messing about" with crocodile clips for 50+ years of driving & never had a problem. Just follow correct procedure. I’ve a set of flyleads that came with my CTek (purchased in 2008) - still in the bag.

The flyleads are useful where there's no direct access to the battery (or remote terminals). The one in my SL is behind a trim panel in the boot, so I do use a permanently fitted flylead on that.:

AccuMate 3.jpg

But I've never bothered on anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom