Cuban Athlete kicks Judge in the face in Beijing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmm..He gets an injury to his left foot, takes longer than the permitted time in injury time, then kicks the referee with which foot.??:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Do you need a licence to practice taekwondo :confused:

Having seen the Cuban boxer's tactics against the British bloke, I can only assume there's something in the rum

Absolute disgrace to the sport. Any medals and titles should be taken from him and he should never be able to practice again.
I hope he gets some time in one of Chinas prisons!

Sports officials need to get a grip on where they are in the food chain. The people who regulate sport have no business throwing their weight around,

I only look at it from the point of view that someone spent years training and the match officlal was just a twonk doing some hobby sport.

A Tenet is a belief or principle. Tae Kwon Do has five Tenets, which are Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control and Indomitable Spirit. These Tenets serve as a guide for all students of Tae Kwon Do.

COURTESY: To be polite to one's instructors, seniors and fellow students.

INTEGRITY: To be honest with oneself. One must be able to define right and wrong.

PERSEVERANCE: To achieve a goal, whether it is a higher grade or any technique, one must not stop trying; one must persevere.

SELF CONTROL: To lose one's temper when performing techniques against an opponent can be very dangerous and shows lack of control. To be able to live, work and train within one's capability shows good self control.

INDOMITABLE SPIRIT: To show courage when you and your principles are pitted against overwhelming odds.

Shocking behaviour :eek:

I only look at it from the point of view that someone spent years training and the match officlal was just a twonk doing some hobby sport.

....errrr, which makes it alright then? The appeal made earlier by our lass for a contact she made, but not counted by the 'twonk', was overturned. i.e the correct way of challenging a decision.

Who really looks the twonk after this guy's performance?

I guess it raises the profile of the sport.

They do say there's no such thing as bad publicity - like Wayne Rooney being made an ambassador for Mercedes. :crazy:

miro said:
The people who regulate sport have no business throwing their weight around.

That has to be just about the most obtuse comment I've ever read!

....errrr, which makes it alright then? The appeal made earlier by our lass for a contact she made, but not counted by the 'twonk', was overturned. i.e the correct way of challenging a decision.

Who really looks the twonk after this guy's performance?

I just like the idea of someone taking a dose of what the sport has to offer. A bit like when the ref takes it in the nads by the soccer ball in a soccer match. If the ref knew anything at all about the sport he would have had the sense to walk away. Clearly, the ref had no idea what he was doing and wound up a severely stressed athlete to breaking point. So he took it on the chin just to remind others what the sport really entails. Super-fit highly-tuned hurt-machines with testosterone levels to match.

Now if the same thing happened in the floor routine by a female gymnast I would think that was one evil school girl.

All that quaint chit-chat over tea is rather nice but this was spontaneous action much like swimming with sting-rays. We are more accustomed to rugby players in Australia seeing as we dont have any upper-class or foxes to hunt.

I just like the idea of someone taking a dose of what the sport has to offer. A bit like when the ref takes it in the nads by the soccer ball in a soccer match. If the ref knew anything at all about the sport he would have had the sense to walk away. Clearly, the ref had no idea what he was doing and wound up a severely stressed athlete to breaking point. So he took it on the chin just to remind others what the sport really entails. Super-fit highly-tuned hurt-machines with testosterone levels to match.

Now if the same thing happened in the floor routine by a female gymnast I would think that was one evil school girl.

All that quaint chit-chat over tea is rather nice but this was spontaneous action much like swimming with sting-rays. We are more accustomed to rugby players in Australia seeing as we dont have any upper-class or foxes to hunt.

Aah so the diplomatic thing (call it a shot in the dark) which maybe would have been to complain formally to a higher official in order for his ruling to be overturned. All that this has done is served to ban the athlete from future olympics and possibly time in prison - oh yea good one ;) :rolleyes:

miro said:
What is so obtuse, that spectators run sport ?

You said that those who regulate the sport shouldn't be able to 'throw their weight around'. Well if they can't, who can? They regulate it, so they get to say what should and shouldn't go on!

Why would/should spectators run sport?

Do you need a licence to practice taekwondo :confused:

well, not to practice, in a practice at home point of view.

but you do need a license to be part of official, insured training sessions, to take part in competition and to go for gradings (ie higher blackbelts in his case).

it's been a while since I did TKD :)

dave

Lets no forget that this is the Olympic Games. These are supposed to be the worlds top athletes... They know the sport inside out and upside down. They are the worlds best (supposedly) so they sure know the rules of the sport as well. They know they have a certain amount of injury time during a bout before they are disqualified..... It happened and the guy was miffed about it.... But he knew the rules and would not complain if it were the other way round.

Unfortunate... yes but rukes is rules and this is the Olympic games...!! Nuff said... Should be banned for life... If you can't take the heat, stay out the kitchen.

Just seems to be the way of the world nowadays. Little regard for any form of authority or control.
Its commonplace for the referees of almost any sport to be challenged at some point. Whether the referee is right or wrong doesn't matter. His word should be taken as law. If this had happened in a normal league football match nobody would have paid any notice and it certainly would not have got the media coverage this has attracted.

If this had happened in a normal league football match nobody would have paid any notice and it certainly would not have got the media coverage this has attracted.

Not quite the same....Football World Cup final would be a closer comparison...highest profile in their respective sport. "Rooney kicks ref in the face" would get a fair amount of coverage - not least because that would entail England actually being in the final!!

miro, I think you missed what actually happened.
The rules say that an injured party is allowed 60 seconds of injury time before being counted out. The ref gave the time which was counting down on an official clock. He warned when there was only 10 seconds left.
The 'player' wasn't ready in time so was counted out.
This is exactly like an injury count out in boxing.

Would you expect a boxer to smash a ref in the face for being counted out.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom