Culprit(s) ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gazwould

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 CDI
index.php

OM651 Still have undiagnosed coolant and oil leak which I must get sorted very soon .

Noticed this for some time now and was dismissed by another Mercedes driver as air con pipes condensation , the liquid seems pure unlike coolant but seems to carry engine? oil in it .

Maybe the AC pipe condensation then dripping onto oil leak ?

On a lighter concrete driveway it did leave a dark stain in same position .

Seems to happen some hours after a 20 min+ journey and not a 5 min pop to the shops .

Regarding your coolant leak:- I had a leak on my S212 with the OM651 engine. It was loosing coolant for a while (> 12 months) but at a slow rate. Maybe a top up of 0.5 litres every 6 or 8 weeks.
I couldn't see where the leak was coming from.

That got worse about a month ago -- 0.5 litre every week.
I removed the large air intake hose and the plastic cover over the front of the engine but I still couldn't see any evidence of the source of the leak so I put it all back.

I then looked again after running the car but the engine was still cold. I removed the air intake & cover and could see coolant leaking from the bottom of the water pump pulley.

I drained the coolant, removed & replaced the water pump, replaced the coolant.
In the couple of weeks since I did that the coolant level has remained at the correct level.

You may have the start of this issue -- it does seem to fail slowly (or at least it did for me) so no great urgency in undertaking the work.

Regarding your oil leak:- it must be quite bad if it is seeping past the covers under the car. Are you sure it is oil? I did manage to spill some old coolant on the ground when I took off the old pump even though I had drained the radiator. It did look dirty and almost oily when compared to the new coolant blue colour.

plastic water pump...common fault
Actually it it was the metal bit that was leaking. I could feel some play in the pulley shaft when I took the old one off.

when water leaks are involved that you cant see, getting a simple pressure test makes it oh so easy, firstly it will tell you if you have a coolant leak and then its standing still, not red hot allowing you to climb all over looking and not getting burnt.
Pretty sure they are not that much to buy for yourself either.

Taste it on the tip of your tongue. Antifreeze will taste sweet.

Not advisable... also most antifreeze these days has a bitterness additive

index.php

OM651 Still have undiagnosed coolant and oil leak which I must get sorted very soon .

Noticed this for some time now and was dismissed by another Mercedes driver as air con pipes condensation , the liquid seems pure unlike coolant but seems to carry engine? oil in it .

Maybe the AC pipe condensation then dripping onto oil leak ?

On a lighter concrete driveway it did leave a dark stain in same position .

Seems to happen some hours after a 20 min+ journey and not a 5 min pop to the shops .

To me at any rate, any stain that glisten's with all the color's of the rainbow as this stain does.....is fuel / oil related.

2019-02-22 15.09.56.jpg

And the results are in....

Oil leak x 1
Coolant leak x 3 .

Makes sense as the above pic has the entire front oil bloom as all the contaminates have now filled up and over flowing from the undertrays .

From where?

Oil leak some valve block , I'm unfamiliar with .

Common and redesigned water pump and fuel filter coolant housing .

And the radiator .

Ouch!

Bigger than anything I've ever experienced before and some .

Best bit is the chocolate warranty company and so far uncompliant used dealer trying to shirk his responsibilities .

The Consumer Rights Act of 2015 , will take care of it !

Could turn legal .

Warranty company has a laughable promotional video that should get taken down as the video reassurances but warranty clauses are night and day .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom