Cup holder in E55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Stupid question really - is there a cup holder in the E55k (2004ish) if so, where?

I think you can get the part - it's in front of the armrest - in my e it's just a container with a flap, if a cup holder you press it and a cup holder springs up and out toward the passenger seat.

Many thanks. I can't seem to work out where that would go but I'm sure if i bought one i could work it out ;)

:thumb:

They are about £35 from the main dealers.........

I bought one of these for my 211.

Be aware though, that they are clearly intended for left-hand drive vehicles. I am seriously thinking about removing mine because it sticks out to the right of the centre console and makes the driver's space somewhat compromised. Using the gear selector is actually awkward, which it would not be if the car was LHD. :crazy:

i got one when i got my car, total waste of time/money, dont bother! gets in the way, and its made for a lhd car as said above

Nice piece of engineering though.......

i got one when i got my car, total waste of time/money, dont bother! gets in the way, and its made for a lhd car as said above
I have finally taken the plunge and picked up my E55 estate last week (2004 54 plate). I likewise looked everywhere for the cup holder in the front of the car as just assumed there would be one! After looking in the manual I could see that my car doesn't have any, as like it has been said above it would be in the centre consul just in front of the armrest. Without previously seeing this thread I just spoke with my local merc dealer and they have them in stock for £34.69 inc.

Now I am in a quandary, as I thought great it's relatively inexpensive, and will solve the problem as I have been trying to wedge the Nero's coffee cups in the compartment that the cup holder will actually fit, without much success!!!

SO DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD ALTERNATIVE IF THE ORIGINAL MERC ONE IS USELESS??

Just had another look in the owners manual, it would seem that there are separate cupholders for both driver and passenger. If so would the intrusion problem be solved by using the passenger side holder rather than the driver side? Assuming no passengers of course, or am I missing the point?!!

yes and no. The main problem with using this cup holder is if you put any kind of drink in the one meant for the driver, the driver's space is somewhat intruded and using the gear lever can be awkward (i have long arms which reduces the problem). You can use the passenger one which somewhat solves the problem, however this can only really accomodate 330ml cans or something the equivalent width.

i.e (not the 500ml bottles or the usual coffee cups)

You can use the passenger one which somewhat solves the problem

..but the driver's side one is still in your way!

Plus the driver's one, up on its perch, is rather shallow and I don't trust it to hold a tall coffee beaker. I end up wedging this in the passenger one as it is deep enough. And the spring-loaded tensioner (on the driver's side) rattles if there is nothing in it!

Last edited:
Cheers Guys

I'm going down to local dealer to have a look at one. It is pretty important for me to have some form of safe cup holder as I seem to increasingly need my cofee during my morning drive (bit worrying really). I have tried using the rear ones in the centre armrest but it's pretty awkward and I can see me spilling it all over the place trying to lean / stretch round, and just trying to wedge into the armrest slot is all a bit precarious, so not really any good.

That's probably a wise precaution. At the end of the day, it's your decision, and as long as you're happy then that's all that matters.

Please don't get me wrong - it will do the job, but at a price (ergonomics)! And I'd say that it would definitely be better than reaching back to the rear seat holders! :eek:

When you see it, you will understand about the left-hand drive thing... :)

If you, like me, buy those tall coffee beakers from the likes of St*rb*cks or McD*l*lds, then you really have to use the passenger side holder. You'll see what I mean!

the other problem is when you drive off, drink splashes all over your gear console!

when i bought my car it didnt have a drinks holder, nor the sleeve that came with the car, also found dried soft drink around the gear console which i cleaned off by pulling it all apart! so obviously the prev owner had been through this problem already!

Thanks Chaps.

I'm of the same mind - I need my coffee. Two hour commute makes coffee essential!!!! ;)

I think I'll just have to visit the main stealer too and have a test run!

Cheers

Jim

That's probably a wise precaution. At the end of the day, it's your decision, and as long as you're happy then that's all that matters.

Please don't get me wrong - it will do the job, but at a price (ergonomics)! And I'd say that it would definitely be better than reaching back to the rear seat holders! :eek:

When you see it, you will understand about the left-hand drive thing... :)

If you, like me, buy those tall coffee beakers from the likes of St*rb*cks or McD*l*lds, then you really have to use the passenger side holder. You'll see what I mean!

Right Guys - I went to my local dealer yesterday and bought the cupholder. Obviously very easy to fit took all of about 15 seconds. I can now fully understand the concerns, I think the fancy pivoting holder that projects to the drivers side is going to be as good as useless and does seem to get in the way a little but I think I will just get used to it being there. The lower fixed slot on the passenger side looks far more appropriate. I haven't tried it yet but think the passenger side position will be fine as pretty deep with little risk of the cups tipping / spilling. The fancy raised one looks far too shallow to be of any use and I can well imagine the first time I pull away I will end up with drink everywhere so will probably avoid it's use unless parked up, looks like it may come in handy to position my phone in though! All that said, I still think it is essential if like me you pick up a hot drink during the daily commute, and far better than not having it at all.

I don't really understand why they couldn't just have had a simple fixed position holder similar to the one I had in my previous car (Jag S Type R)and avoided the raised pivoting thing altogether, which would work just fine!! Over design comes to mind!!

i was actually incorrect, the passenger side will hold 500ml bottles, but won't hold the larger size mcdonald's or starbucks etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom