Cup holder surface

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Beaky59, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Beaky59

Beaky59 Member

Car:
    2005 SLK 350, Modified 1986 911 Carrera, 987 Boxster S, Suzuki Vitara (family hack!)
    The cover/ surface on the front face of my cup holder on my R171 is scratched, is this repairable or does it need replacing?

2. Mikesmith29

Mikesmith29 Member

Car:
    2017 C300h
    What sort of covering is it?

BMW used a type of rubber covering on the E46 ash tray lid and that suffered from scratch marks.

I gently removed it all and left it a slightly gloss black.

Beaky59 likes this.
  3. SCRL

SCRL Active Member

Car:
    W213 E220d
    If this is one of those soft touch surface coatings, you may be stuck. These were very popular on consumer electronics and in cars a decade or so OK, but they degrade over time and become very soft/sticky in the end. As Mikesmith29 says, the best thing is to try to clean it all off and accept the underlying plastic finish (which may or may not be nice, given that it wasn't intended to be exposed), or remove the part, clean it and get it refinished by painting or otherwise. Google "soft touch plastic" for more.

Beaky59 and st13phil like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Beaky59

Beaky59 Member

Car:
    2005 SLK 350, Modified 1986 911 Carrera, 987 Boxster S, Suzuki Vitara (family hack!)
    Thanks for the advise. I also wonder if there is a carbon interior kit or something similar that one could use to cover it

5. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55