Current E250CDI (2014) vs 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

6cyl

Car
CLS320 CDI
I had an E250CDI in 2010 as a hire car a few years ago; quite nippy, but noisy and uncouth. Fast forward to last week - still a E250 CDI, but the 2014 model. What a difference! I could hardly hear the engine and it's 4 cylinder thrashing till my right foot was flat on the floor. When I test driving the W204 250CDI, they all sounded like tractors to me, thats why I got the 350. If they've pulled off the same trick with the W205, then it'll be difficult to justify the 6 cylinder version and I'd have to change my handle....

The interior is nicer, rides much better and is overall much quieter and cossetting.

In summary : very impressed with the current E250CDI.

As far as I've read you aren't going to have the problem of deciding between the c250cdi and c350cdi this time around. We won't be getting the c350cdi :(

With the W204 I decided on the 3.0 TT, the 2.2TT was much too thrashy for me, although it had slightly better balance. I tried the same engine in the 2010 E series as well and I found it aurally harsh too, however the 2014 E250CDI was significantly better in those terms.

Having said that, every one knows that these cars are better with a V8 TT or K ....

As far as I've read you aren't going to have the problem of deciding between the c250cdi and c350cdi this time around. We won't be getting the c350cdi :(

Hopefully that will get people buying petrol again.

I am getting sick with this diesel obsession, and even more annoyed when people who only do 15k miles a year buy it 'to save money'. :wallbash:

Do people actually do the maths?

I wanted a petrol engined car and spent 8 weeks looking for a C350 CGI - I bought the diesel in the end, no choice, unless I put in an order for a new one. I do about 12k a year ... most of that around town.

I know, it is so frustrating.

I estimate you would save about £400 a year by choosing diesel over petrol over 15000 miles. A diesel car costs more but then higher has residuals. People can make up their own minds. Maybe with so many people leasing cars they look at monthly outgoings as opposed to total costs in the long term.

I'm not sure the residuals are better any more, seems like the petrols are holding up well, maybe because there are so few about.

Mate who works at Audi popped in today and said that petrol is definitely picking up again.

He said the 1.4tfsi and 1.8tfsi is doing pretty well. They have got a few demonstrators and when people drive them back to back they start doing the sums properly as they are so much nicer to drive. But then Audi sell a lot of manual cars compared with Mercedes and a diesel manual is always going to feel hard work compared with a petrol on a test drive.

He said the 1.4tfsi sportback A3 worked out around £60 cheaper than the 2.0tdi sportback A3.
£24k new vs £26k for the diesel, with £2k down it works out at £409 a month for the tdi over 36 months with a £12k balloon, the petrol carries the same £12k balloon so only around £350 a month.

The demo cars are also showing pretty identical MPG, most are sitting at around 44mpg both 2.0tdi and the 1.4tfsi.
He said the petrol owners are blown away with the consumption, the diesel owners do nothing but moan they are not getting near the official figures.

With petrol being 10% cheaper at the pump the diesel is no longer the cheaper alternative on many cars, not by a long shot.

Its an interesting comparison and opinion. Not sure about being nicer to drive as its subjective. Im retiring soon and doing less miles so will definitely consider petrol the next time round. Not convinced but prepared to condider the options when the time is tight for a change. Ive not driven a petrol car since a 1999 1.8 focus but I prefer the low reving torquey diesels to that. But the newer turbo petrol models will have different characteristics I expect. I have always got near the official figures with the type of journeys I do and official mpg is 20% lower on petrol than diesels on the new C class for instance. I used to get 52 on m previous passat and that a pre blue motion model.
Not disagreeing with anyone just open to change.

The refinement of the petrol over the 4cyl diesels can not be ignored.

Also, depends on what sort of driving you do, many do more sub 10 mile journeys than any thing else, and for that diesel is far from ideal.

It is worth taking out a 325d (twin turbo 4cyl 2 litre diesel) and then taking out the 328i (a turbo'd 2 litre petrol) back to back and seeing what you think.
I would actually take the 328i over the highly rated 330d 6cyl, it is such a sweet set up, nice and light, revs to 7000rpm, sounds nice and raspy when pressing on and owners are getting mpg within around 15% of the diesel, with 10% cheaper fuel even doing 40k miles a year cost is now non relevant.
You buy what you prefer, and that is great, I just think many don't realise that while modern diesels have come on massively since the time of the 1.9tdi vag engines so have petrols.

Used to compare a 1.8 na A4 with the 1.9tdi and it was a no brainer. Same power on both, same 0-60 and one did 25mpg and the other did 55mpg.
But now the economy is getting closer, petrol is 10% cheaper, diesels have dpf and other things that don't like short runs and the choice is getting harder to justify.
I think many buy without even considering petrol, and that is such a shame, for most people it is the far better engine to have.

This is an interesting thread.

We have just got a used E350 231bhp CDI Cab & am currently looking at 265bhp CDI estate.
Approx 97% of the available cars are diesel, so not much choice of petrols if buying used. The used petrols tend to be underpowered small units(with sparse options) or OTT AMG variants

Mercedes have dropped many of the intermediate sized petrols from the new model line up. Hard to know if this is response to reduced demand or if they are leading the trend?

I was surprised how pleasant the V6 diesels were.
Apparently the DPFs have progressed too & are not as fickle & more tolerant. Is this true?

Yes, it is a real shame that such a large proportion of C and E are diesel. Something like a petrol 2.5 V6 turbo would be nice, with say 300bhp, 400Nm and return 38-40mpg at 75mph would be perfect.... er thats what my 350CDI does, except with a little more torque and it sounds like a taxi.

I really liked the 1.8 Kompressor in my old C coupe.
After using Kompressors so much, not sure why they have been dropped by MB?

As you say, a 2.3-2.5 V6 komp/turbo with all the latest efficiency measures & max power would be ideal.

The 250 petrols are underpowered for a big car compared to a 350 diesel

A turbo is generally more fuel efficient than a supercharger. I'm guessing that's the sole reason MB dropped them.

Some of the above is true but each case of diesel vs petrol needs to be weighed up as every model is different. The above principles really cannot be applied to the second hand market so easily.

Talking real world numbers, not published ones. Smaller cars seem to have a smaller gap between petrol and diesel in economy. The heavier the vehicle, the more of an advantage diesel has. We had a sprinter van with the petrol 2.3 engine in it and it was a real drinker. Especially once you got some weight in it, in contrast the torque of the cdi would pull a fully loaded van much more easily and mpg wouldn't suffer too badly.

Before I bought my S320cdi I drove a petrol S320 for some time. The difference in fuel cost is massive between the cars in all types of driving.
Around town the 320cdi will average just under 30mpg, the petrol will average between 15- 20.
On a run the cdi will top 50 and the petrol will hit 30.

The purchasing and other running costs will be very similar, the petrol may be a little cheaper, but insignificantly so.

Last edited:
I dont feel the 1.8L unit in my W212 is underpowered at all. But what would I know, its the most powerful car I have owned with all of its 184bhp.

The salesman tried all he could to convince me to buy a diesel. I was glad I went for the petrol when I could hear the noisy tractor rattle from inside his C220 CDI with an AMG badge stuck on, which he picked me up from the station with on the day I collected my car.

When I clear out the cobwebs (on private race tracks of course) it takes little effort to reach 130mph.

I am averaging 27mpg over the last 4 years and 95% of my journeys are stop/start under 10 mile journeys. I do about 5k miles/year. It also doesnt help the consumption that I have a heavy right foot.

This is an interesting thread.

We have just got a used E350 231bhp CDI Cab & am currently looking at 265bhp CDI estate.
Approx 97% of the available cars are diesel, so not much choice of petrols if buying used. The used petrols tend to be underpowered small units(with sparse options) or OTT AMG variants

QUOTE]

I have just bought a used E350 CGI Estate (The petrol model) - It's a high spec model (Proper leather, comand, 7 seats, rear entertainment, reversing camera, ILS, lane tracking, blind spot assist etc). I had intended to get the E350 cdi having come from an W211 E320 cdi but I found the petrol engine to be absolutely brilliant - so smooth and quiet with plenty of power when pushed. I don't miss the characteristics of the cdi engine at all. I'm getting 20% less mpg than my old car but the purchase price was at least 10% less than a diesel equivalent. I only cover 7-8k miles a year so I don't think It's costing me anything extra to run the petrol when all things are considered.

They don't come up very often but you should definitely try one if you get the chance.

Plus petrol is around 10% cheaper as well.

Works out around £4 a week extra compared with the diesel doing 8k a year.

Of the cars I've owned and been loaned I've found that the diesels get good mpg 'more consistently' across the board. If you bury your foot with a diesel or cruise fast the proportionate loss of mpg is less...that's what I'm enjoying at the minute.

My 221 should do 30ish and actually does about 28. I've driven various petrols that should do '38' etc but actually do 22, sometimes teens, with the same driving.

I probably won't buy another, I don't like the sound, additional cost or smell. The current merc ones are brilliant though. C250 AMG sport was a proper revelation.

I have just bought a used E350 CGI Estate (The petrol model) - It's a high spec model (Proper leather, comand, 7 seats, rear entertainment, reversing camera, ILS, lane tracking, blind spot assist etc). I had intended to get the E350 cdi having come from an W211 E320 cdi but I found the petrol engine to be absolutely brilliant - so smooth and quiet with plenty of power when pushed. I don't miss the characteristics of the cdi engine at all. I'm getting 20% less mpg than my old car but the purchase price was at least 10% less than a diesel equivalent. I only cover 7-8k miles a year so I don't think It's costing me anything extra to run the petrol when all things are considered.

They don't come up very often but you should definitely try one if you get the chance.
-Sounds like a nice car.
I would probably prefer a a CGI, but I am not sure I can wait long enough for one to come up & hope that it has a high spec. You were v lucky to find one with 7 seats + well loaded options.
There are currently no petrol 7 seaters of any spec available on MB used.

I've had my e250 cdi cab 6 months since new. Give it 5 minutes to warm up and the engine noise just isn't noticed at all. In fact the exhaust noise under acceleration sounds pretty good. Very smooth too with top notch economy. Never seen less than 40mpg and regularly hitting top 50s on a run with ease.
The interior layout is very pleasant, all the toys are there which you actually use, great stereo too. Air cap and air scarf work so well leaving a wind free cabin.
Can't comment on previous model as this is my first mercedes but this car is still giving me the new car buzz after 6 months.
Only real niggle is no real place to rest your right arm when driving. Either too low on the door arm rest or too high on the top of the interior panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom