Current Mercedes CLS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSTurbo50

Car
W212 E250 CDi AMG Sport
Why on earth have Mercedes ruined the Mercedes CLS. The previous model in AMG Line trim was stunning and was a classy, elegant looking car. Iv seen a couple of the new model and my god the rear of them are hideous. The side profile is ok and they look ok from the front but that rear. I believe the CLA has the same rear end....

I think Mercedes might actually struggle selling this current car, probably why Iv seen only a few on the road.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I hated the look of the Range Rover Evoque when it launched, ended up buying one a few years later.

Same with the Jaguar S-type, give it time you never know....

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I find the c class has suffered the same rounding off effect. Not for me mb....w205 coupe door handle-4.jpg

Last edited:
I find the c class has suffered the same rounding off effect. Not for me mb....

Yep I agree, the previous W204 in AMG Sport trim looked much more aggressive with sharper lines. The new one looks too soft and the coupe is even worse.

I agree, manufacturers in their quest to induce customers to buy the latest model make changes to the current model which don’t appeal to a lot of us.

The original always seem best, although to contradict this the previous CLS model which I purchased was in my mind an improvement on the original model.

Ironically the original CLA looked like a naff copy of the CLS of the time.

Now the new CLS looks ugly and the new CLA looks quite good.

Sadly the new CLS is oddly proportioned, tail lights are too small and overall it’s just not pretty. I don’t think they ever captured the looks of the W219 in the W218 but they were at least smart tidy looking cars.

I saw my first one of these this morning, in matte black, and it reminded me of an F117 stealth aircraft! All strangely juxtaposed creases and odd shapes...

I am with the OP on this one. It's bloomin fugly! Loved my W219, the W218 grew on me and I now have one of those, not a cat in hells chance I would consider the latest version! That said, horses for courses and all that!

There are very few Mercedes I actually like in the current lineup to be honest. The current E Class coupe/convertible is a thing of beauty and to be honest this is the only new Mercedes I can honestly say I like. The current C63 isn’t as sharp or aggressive as the W204 and looks too soft.

I’m sticking with BMW at the moment as but even then some of their newer models aren’t exactly pretty...

Guys while we are talking about the CLS . Anyone here know if the 2014 model rear seats can be replaced with 3 ? Retro fit of some sort ?
I believe the new cls has 3 seats in the back but I do agree it's not as nice as the mk2 . first one imo was the best looking

Guys while we are talking about the CLS . Anyone here know if the 2014 model rear seats can be replaced with 3 ? Retro fit of some sort ?
I believe the new cls has 3 seats in the back but I do agree it's not as nice as the mk2 . first one imo was the best looking

I don't know if they can be swapped out, but the Shooting Brake had three rear seats.

I rather like the cleaner lines of the new cls and the slight throwback to the original w219. But then i have a w219!

I rather like the cleaner lines of the new cls and the slight throwback to the original w219. But then i have a w219!

Agree in principal; but the very bland front end wholly negates that in it's completeness, which is a great shame.

Doesn't the V5 specify the number of seats - and hence how many are covered by insurance?
Maybe, the V5 can be altered but I'd check the legalities first. Provision for a fifth seatbelt may be a clue to what is possible.

As we all get older, we dislike change and prefer what we are comfortable with.

Years ago Renault launched a new Megane with the ugliest rear end ever on a car.

Two years later, more cars were like it and the Megane was accepted.

In 5-10 years time I think cars will look a lot different and we will gradually learn to accept them, and what we love now will look dated.

Saw a CLS53 AMG in London the other week. Absolutely stunning. The spoiler and quad tips set that car off.

The AMG line trim looks odd because there's no spoiler and the rear exhausts are droopy

I think the original CLS 219 is the best shape. From then it has to me anyway, deteriorated and become less pleasing to the eye. It is a bit of a marmite car anyway. Personally i am very pleased with mine.

The latest CLS design is just a morph of the C and E class coupes. You need to take a second look to figure out what model it is. The originality of the CLS has gone into the corporate look. Me no likey.

I have to agree that MB have ruined the current CLS over the predecessors. For me it's lost the Q car look and the cutting edge and brave styling was partly what made the car for me.

In the latter half of last year, I stopped off at MB Watford whilst en route elsewhere to look at a 2016 CLS400 W218 and parked next to it was a current-shape CLS.

The newer CLS suited me much better, and perhaps this is the point of why they did change it, but I'd rather they hadn't "dumbed it down" to do so.

People like me should buy the E Class instead and keep the CLS as it was in W218 and W219 design!

Reactions: Abb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom