Current turnaround times for passport renewals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I let my passport expire but will be travelling on business in 3 weeks, so I need to renew sharpish.

The Post Office Check & Send service appears to turnaround in 2 weeks.

Anyone renewed recently, and how long did it take to arrive?

I think if you go in person to one of the main passport offices you can get it done almost straight away as long as all the paperwork is in order.

Hi Bobby,

I recently renewed my sons passport using the Post Office Check and Send service and got it back in a week.

I know the Passport office get busier in the summer so hopefully you should be fine now and get your passport back within 2 week.:)

I let my passport expire but will be travelling on business in 3 weeks, so I need to renew sharpish.

The Post Office Check & Send service appears to turnaround in 2 weeks.

Anyone renewed recently, and how long did it take to arrive?

Sent mine via Special Delivery (next day delivery) took about 10 days, that was in September.

Only way to guarantee is to book an appointment and go into one of the office. From memory there's a within a day service and also another guaranteed service but can't remember which one. If you're traveling on business then I would guess your employer would pay for the 1 day service? Mine did...

A

I was totally surprised to do the check and send service at the post office on a Monday afternoon and have the new passport in my hands at home 4 days later, on the Friday. Well worth the £8 imho (especially if you're a muppet like me and only found out the country you've been planning to visit for a year, doesn't accept less than six months on your passport a couple of weeks before you're due to fly there :doh: )

Indeed the website suggests that there is a 4 hour service (same day) or drop-off and post back (1 week) service if you can get to an office there are two which are a similar distance from home, but several hours away from home. Amazing there's not one in Birmingham.

Just done mine at Peterborough Passport Office same day service 4 hours turnaround, but you have to book in advance as you cant get in without the e mail or letter they send you.

Now need to get all my visas renewed :doh:

Ian, what was the lead time on the appointment? Peterboghorror would be one of the two closest for me y'see (other being Liverpool)

I was totally surprised to do the check and send service at the post office on a Monday afternoon and have the new passport in my hands at home 4 days later, on the Friday. Well worth the £8 imho (especially if you're a muppet like me and only found out the country you've been planning to visit for a year, doesn't accept less than six months on your passport a couple of weeks before you're due to fly there :doh: )

That's impressive - within the week, and not knowing :D

The same day service is normally only available if you are travelling within 48 hours.

The next service down (no idea what it is called these days) should see a passport in your hand within a couple of days.

Best to give the helpline a ring, tell them your problem and let them tell you the right route to take

Ian, what was the lead time on the appointment? Peterboghorror would be one of the two closest for me y'see (other being Liverpool)

The one I chose was 2 days after making the phone call but they had some next day ones too. Don't use the Liverpool office it's a nightmare a lot busier than Peterborough no where to park and they are not good at keeping appointment times. I learnt that when renewing my last passport (I have 2 passports) for business.

I took the first appointment which I think was 8am, went with all the docs straight to the counter then the cashier and I was on my way for breakfast within 10 minutes of arriving, a much nicer experience than Liverpool, also when you collect you don't have to go into the main office there is a counter at reception for collection so 30 seconds and you are away, Liverpool can be a 30 minute queue to collect

If you go to Peterborough let me know and I'll point you in the direction of a nice cafe for breakfast :)

EDIT: Same day service is available to all irrespective of travel date, it just costs more

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Thanks Ian - even sounds pleasant, but for £130 it should be!! :)

I sent mine using Post Office Check and Send.
In London. Sent last Thursday at 13:00ish. New passport arrived on Tuesday morning! Result!

Check & Send is pretty quick, i did my wifes last year and it came within a day.

Coincidentally im sending mine off today... Next trip is middle of feb so hopefully enough time!

I was waiting in line for a Post Office to open this morning, which was 15 minutes late, although it was an amusing experience.

Lady at the counter said I needed to get someone to countersign my new photos - she thought the passage of almost 20 years might mean it's reasonable to expect I've visually changed.

Of course I haven't. The photo of me when 16 was stretched vertically by the photo machine, and the the new one I had took today appears to have been stretched horizontally. :dk: ;)

Now countersigned, so off in a tick to get it submitted.

The lady that took mine didnt have a clue... She got the fees wrong until I corrected her... Ive still over paid by £3 but couldnt be bothered..
She has to keep nudging the next clerk to ask if she was doing it right...
She hardly even looked at the photo's etc or the form.

Really hope it comes back ok.

Check and Send certainly worked fine for me a few months back - turnaround was just over a week. Good luck with the wait ...

Checked and sent this afternoon by the lovely Post Office lady. If it's as quick as other members have suggested then I'll be seriously impressed.

Checked and sent this afternoon by the lovely Post Office lady. If it's as quick as other members have suggested then I'll be seriously impressed.
I used check and send back in 2007 and the new passport was in my hand in 4 days, much like the other poster. Good luck! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom