Curry from the Glasgow Yadgar Restaurant - who needs it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I don't see this as friendly banter. Quite simply it's racist language.
And that's the danger of semi-anonymous internet forums.

Do a search and you'll find another Yadgar thread that explains why it is friendly banter, and most definitely isn't in any way racist. If you can't find the thread concerned, look up the word "irony" as it will clarify matters :thumb:

I can't find a dictionary definition that doesn't define the word preceding food (as quoted above) as anything other than a derogatory term for black people.

always find it ironic that those who get really uppity about such things tend not to be in the ethnic group being so "described"

Political correctness gone mad particularly when it's clear as day this is a group who seem to be the last on earth who would want to incite any such "hatred".

always find it ironic that those who get really uppity about such things tend not to be in the ethnic group being so "described"

Political correctness gone mad particularly when it's clear as day this is a group who seem to be the last on earth who would want to incite any such "hatred".

I have experienced the outrages of racism that you seem to be so casually sweeping aside.

I'm guessing that from st13phil's post that if I were to hunt down the explanatory thread to which he refers, that I would find that the poster of the offending language is himself of BME origin.

Imo that alters nothing. Racist language is racist language. I managed a large group of people in an inner London setting. It was a very mixed bunch, folks from a very wide background. Let me tell you, if any had used such language (and they never did) they would have been instantly dismissed, regardless of their background.

The acceptance of casual racial slurs is very much the thin edge of the wedge and creates a culture in which the toxicity of racism thrives. As a society we have made a little progress, but there is a long way to go, and "friendly banter" really does not help.

I can't find a dictionary definition that doesn't define the word preceding food (as quoted above) as anything other than a derogatory term for black people.

Agreed.

Ian/ GVM

I'm an Asian guy whose family was from Kenya. If you consider the light hearted banter we have among our little Yadgar group racist then I apologise.
When I was at school and played under 18 rugby for Glasgow district and then for Scottish schools,I was called names that you would not believe. I can reel off the real racist remarks I endured.
So as I said earlier, calm down.

Ian/ GVM

I'm an Asian guy whose family was from Kenya. If you consider the light hearted banter we have among our little Yadgar group racist then I apologise.
When I was at school and played under 18 rugby for Glasgow district and then for Scottish schools,I was called names that you would not believe. I can reel off the real racist remarks I endured.

See post 24.

Ian/ GVM

I played first class, national, and international hockey.

When I moved south I started to play with one of the leading Yorkshire clubs.

One day I noticed that two of the Asian forwards always waited till everyone else had used the showers. (By the way one of them became quite famous). I asked them why, we're not allowed to shower with the team was the reply. I left the club that day.
For reference, this was early 70's. Shameful.

Last edited:
With due respect neither the forum nor the Yadgar are work environments and, therefore, different rules apply.

With equally due respect, this is a public forum, therefore different rules do not apply.

I have experienced the outrages of racism that you seem to be so casually sweeping aside.

I'm guessing that from st13phil's post that if I were to hunt down the explanatory thread to which he refers, that I would find that the poster of the offending language is himself of BME origin.

Imo that alters nothing. Racist language is racist language. I managed a large group of people in an inner London setting. It was a very mixed bunch, folks from a very wide background. Let me tell you, if any had used such language (and they never did) they would have been instantly dismissed, regardless of their background.

The acceptance of casual racial slurs is very much the thin edge of the wedge and creates a culture in which the toxicity of racism thrives. As a society we have made a little progress, but there is a long way to go, and "friendly banter" really does not help.

The key phrase in the well meaning diatribe above is "racial slur" - dictionary definition being "a derogatory or disrespectful nickname for a racial group, used without restraint".

I would argue that the term that caused you the angst was used in neither a derogatory nor disrespectful way.

I also think that the increasingly adopted policy of trying to avoid - even outlaw - use of some words because of their adoption in genuine instances of racial (/sexual/ethnic) slur actually gives even more impact when they are used, so banning tends to be counter productive.

I'm out :eek:

The key phrase in the well meaning diatribe above is "racial slur" - dictionary definition being "a derogatory or disrespectful nickname for a racial group, used without restraint".

I would argue that the term that caused you the angst was used in neither a derogatory nor disrespectful way.

I also think that the increasingly adopted policy of trying to avoid - even outlaw - use of some words because of their adoption in genuine instances of racial (/sexual/ethnic) slur actually gives even more impact when they are used, so banning tends to be counter productive.

I'm out :eek:

Probably best that you are out. Defending the indefensible can be very tiring and time consuming.

Ian/ GVM

Harry

Thank you for your explanation and it would be churlish of me not to accept your apology which I do in the same vane as it offered.

By way of explanation for taking umbrage at the the word and connotation and in my defence, I would simply point out that the Yadgar banter does not have a separate or private thread. I would also say that I am recently retired from an occupation where one of my jobs was to fight for people who, for various reasons, couldn't fight for themselves; in other words, I am still adjusting.

Additionally, being new to the forum and before saying anything, I checked very carefully I was not misreading the name, phrase and meaning.

Whether or not this banter is acceptable on a public forum is not for me to judge so, in future, I will hold off from commenting in similar situations. I most certainly am not a killjoy and hope your Yadgar fun continues for many years.

All the best, Kevin

I think I should stick to making mince and tatties in future :D

Would it have been racist if HB had said LTD was good at making whitey food???

The post by HB is not racist in any shape or form it was meant as good humoured banter.

Everyone is aware of racism and no one likes it if any one finds this banter offensive use the ignore button and report it to the mods and let them make a call on it. Don't come on here spouting your holier than though PC bill sh*t we don't need it.

If anyone finds it offensive please visit this website and report it

www.getalife.com

Last edited:
Would it have been racist if HB had said LTD was good at making whitey food??? The post by HB is not racist in any shape or form it was meant as good humoured banter.

Everyone is aware of racism and no one likes it if any one finds this banter offensive use the ignore button and report it to the mods and let them make a call on it. Don't come on here spouting your holier than though PC bill sh*t we don't need it.

If anyone finds it offensive please visit this website and report it

Getalife.com

That is precisely the sort of attitude that allowed the Nazi's to flourish. Sad.

IanA2 said:
That is precisely the sort of attitude that allowed the Nazi's to flourish. Sad.

PMSL

Politische korrektheit idiot em verrückt

I'm German and you are being racist and reported

He's great at making ****** food.

I'm amazed people still think its acceptable to use racist comments like this on a public forum.

Anyone who still thinks its fine & its just being PC to have it removed, About time you moved out of the 70s. :ban:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom