Custom stainless exhaust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mduddn

Car
Mercedes 500SEC
I guys...the sec is coming along very nicely. The problems I've had with vibrations are now sorted. So next in the restoration is a custom exhaust. Went to longlife today, they took a look at the exhaust and were concerned about the downpipe bolts. These are corroded/worn and they are concerned that these will strip/ snap if they remove them. So they have asked me to have these cracked from a mechanic before they will guarantee the work! Anyway I'm really looking to find a place that will do all the work and was wandering if the members of the forum had any recommendations??

This company are near to where i work, has anyone actually used them?

Lol.....good point! I'm in west London. Yes I'm actually seeing them in the morning

Not sure if Longlife are that great. Its a big chain isn't it. They did my SE and didn't put an X section in it. It's ok, sounds good but I heard an X section is good practise. My SEC I don't know who did the system on that but it has the X section and sounds awesome.
It's not the best sign they are worried about the bolts. No big deal to drill em out if they are stuck.

Longlife will vary depending on the branch. I had no problems when they removed the centre muffler on my SL and fitted the AMG back box.

Hayward and scott are good they done the high flo cats on my c36 years ago and were still going when i sold it

Agreed MIJ do seem to have a good reputation on the interweb. They're premises are quite nice too

Yep heard all those names. I've also heard good stuff about mij will call them tomorrow as well. They are quite a distance away which is my only concern.

Yeah Ian...the longlife branch didn't fill me with a lot of confidence, which put me off really. Do you know if the 88-89 500 sec has a tri-y setup? I also thought that if the bolts were going to be a big issue they would drill them out but they seemed too frightened to attempt it.

I used EMP in Bushey - top work at a great price!

I think they used to be called top gear st albans. They havn't got a particularly good reputation around the local circle to enthusiasts!

I think Pontoneer had his exhaust made from PD gough if i remember the thread correctly. They are asking £1200 for the whole thing including fitting, which seems to be about the same as Haywood and Scott are quoting. Longlife are considerably cheaper at 800-900, but i'm sure there wil be a substantial quality difference between the two. There is a local firm to me called Simpsons (that i found also) which seem to have good reviews.

Once again guys thanks for all the advice.....the forum is very a helpful place!

Having PD gough make my exhaust at the moment. I'm having a dilemma about the central (kidney shaped) mufflers and whether I should keep them in or take them out. A lot of people have gone with straight through system. What do you guys think? I don't want it load, but like to hear the grumble of the V8 when opening up the engine

mduddn said:
Having PD gough make my exhaust at the moment. I'm having a dilemma about the central (kidney shaped) mufflers and whether I should keep them in or take them out. A lot of people have gone with straight through system. What do you guys think? I don't want it load, but like to hear the grumble of the V8 when opening up the engine

I had my exhaust/headers changed in 3 stages

1st. x-pipe with secondary cat delete - noise difference is hardly noticeable at 2800 rpm and above below was no difference although possible more pleasing sound but could be placebo effect.
2nd. primary cats replaced with performance cats this was noticeable in noise above 2500rpm and below was marginal difference.
3rd. Headers increased noise across the rev range and loud above 3000 rpm.

I have also heard others suggest that no real change in noise with just secondary cat delete although slightly more pleasing sound, I don't know if straight through would make any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom