Customer Service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnEclass

Car
S6/Q5/C300/S4/W209/W211
My ownership story so far for the C300

I collected the car on Wednesday 24/08/2016, and was very happy, even tho despite assurances that there were 2 keys for the car, there was in fact only one… the second time this has happened in succession when buying a car from same dealership. A small matter easily resolved… at least it should be, I now need to wait for the new v5 for the reg change to sort spare key (this being something else not mentioned initially)… now these are 2 minor matters that I know will be resolved in the fullness of time.:rolleyes:
However, on Friday 26/08/2016 after collecting family from the airport ready for my son’s wedding on Sunday 28th, the Engine Management Light (EML) came on. I called dealership and was advised to call Mercedes assistance, I called them, they said if it drives take it back to dealership and tell them to sort it out, so rang back, advised might be warranty issue ring Mercedes Central, not happy I rang them, they said can’t help you for a week and checked with Whitefield, they also could not help for a week. So called supplying dealership again and advised the car had been in my ownership 2 days not happy with being given the run around would be driving directly to ythem to sort it out as I needed to get to a wedding!
On arrival was looked after by reception, and they took the car and carried out a software update. Took the car home no issue, then travelled to Preston on Sat 27/08/2016 to pick up in laws, approx 50 miles after car fixed, the EML came back on.:wallbash:
I called and expressed my dissatisfaction, too late to do anything but go to wedding in Sheffield with EML on and drive back. Called on Wed to bring car back for 2nd time, end of month so could I bring in Thursday, ok as long as fixed this time.
They were apologetic and provided a courtesy car to keep me mobile, so all good there, and left car with them to be sorted, They called me to say some paint needs to be done on a blister I had pointed out so would be another couple of days, again fine as long as sorted out.

Collected car 06/09/2016 approx 5pm, nicely valeted / new reg plates changed over and paint blister sorted, happy so far, but spare key needs the v5 to be programmed…. Ok irritating but no drama as long as it gets sorted.

Then drove to Preston to collect Mother in law as a relative has passed away and she wants to attend funeral on Thursday. Pleasant drive to Preston… not long after setting off for home… approx 50 miles after being fixed again… the EML came on. :wallbash::wallbash:

Extremely annoyed email issued at 9pm last night as I had to drive to Coventry at 6am today... rang dealership in a break, the Salesman who sold me the car says well not much I can do its up to the workshop... WTF!!!
You took over £30k from me I expect this to be sorted ... the manager will ring me and sort out... still waiting for a call... there will be a very angry phone call tomorrow morning and if I can cancel afternoon meeting there will be a very angry customer in the showroom :mad:

Saga will continue tomorrow...no doubt :(

John This is simply not good enough. My sympathy to you. Tell them you wish to cancel the car. That tends to focus the mind. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Last edited:
John This is simply not good enough. My sympathy to you. Tell them you wish to cancel the car. That tends to focus the mind. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Cheers, I hope they sort it instead of just clearing the fault code on STAR and crossing their fingers this time!

Unfortunately 'pull finger out and sort' does not figure in stealer extraction centre sales vocabulary:rolleyes:...but 'take money, ignore customer and and run' is:devil:

Jesus, I feel for you! Hope they pull their finger or and sort it..

Last edited:
This kind of service is rubbish!

I would reject the car. Made easier if on finance too.

To put into perspective.

Last night I hit a pothole and my front right suspension collapsed. The shock slid through its clamp into the cv boot. Dropping the strut on the tyre causing the tyre to melt and ruining loads of bits in the process.

BMW recovered the car to my house at 1am, sent a technician out this morning from BMW customer service to repair it enough to drive the car to the dealership with him following me. They then delivered me a brand new 330d m sport and apologised that it wasn't like for like spec wise to my 335d and rang me after two hours to say was I ok with the car and is there anything I want to ask.

Let's hope bmw cover it under warranty.

IT Helpdesk standard response to all users' complaints:

1. Reboot the device
- Problem persists?
2. Install latest updates and patches
- Problem persists?
3. Kick the issue to 3rd Line where the people who actually know something are, and they will try to understand what the issue is and how to fix it.

MB Service department standard response to all customers' complaints:

1. Connect to STAR and ease fault codes
- Problem persists?
2. Connect to STAR again and apply latest software updates
- Problem persists?
3. Kick the issue to the senior tech who will try to actually understand what the issue is and how to fix it.

I've been in a similar situation with a customer recently and to be fair, it took us 4 attempts to sort out an EMS light. No indicated faults, it just kept coming back. Ok the end it just stopped popping up, without any parts being replaced.

To be fair to your salesman, what can he do, other than be apologetic?

Regarding your spare key. Their parts department can just order a new one without a log book, that's complete BS. They sold the car to you, they know it's yours. There's no place that they have to send a photocopy of your log book to, it must be a company policy.

The key on the W205 doesn't need coding either

One thing is certain - your car doesn't like your family (probably MIL?).

On a more serious note, my old RR had a mild vibration in the tunnel on some odd cold start. Main dealer tried to find why several times, then gave up. Issued a letter that said drive the car until something more serious happens, we will fix it FOC no matter what or when. It didn't lead to anything more serious (or anything at all) in 2 years we owned and we sold it like that. Maybe ask for the same letter of reassurance?

Just why has a £30,000 car only got one key,was it a leased car bought at auction,a damaged car but not written off so repaired and sold,JBD has pointed out that the key does not need to be coded so why have they sold a car that needed another small amount spent on it,I see this is the second car you have bought from this dealership with one key,I am sorry but I do not think you are running on all cylinders,I hope you get the car fixed,but seriously would you buy another car from them.

My approved car came with only one key, but I was assured it could be resolved easily enough. My supplying dealer (100 miles away) booked me in with my nearest dealer and told me I needed to take the V5 and my driving licence with me. Fair enough. Turned up at the appointment time to be met by a complete jobsworth who said that because the V5 was in my company name and my driving licence was in my own name he couldn't do it. He required a letter from the company (me) authorising the driver (me) to have a new key made. That was it. He would not budge, despite the fact the appointment had been made by an MB dealer, and I was there with the car I needed a key for. What possible subterfuge did he think I was up to? I suggested that as a brand new MB customer who would be using his dealership for all my future servicing that he could help me out - perhaps by getting the key process moving, and then I could call back in with the letter he required. No. He wasn't having any of it. I had a hissy fit and stomped out. Called my supplying dealer who came and collected my car, leaving me with an E350, and then brought my car back a few days later. OK, so the car shouldn't have come to me with only one key, but it was a truly pathetic performance from my local dealer.

One problem which seemed to come to light, which I have never experienced before was the fact that as the two dealers were owned by different groups, it seemed to throw up a barrier. As a customer I don't care who the dealership is owned by, as far as I'm concerned I'm dealing with MB, and that's it. Very strange attitude and it does make me worried if I have a problem like the OP has.

What surprises me with these responses from dealers etc, is the amount of additional hassle, aggravation and bad reputation that they create for themselves by inventing or interpreting "rules" to suit their argument.

Do we know that organised car crime gangs are scouring the dealership network disguised as members of the general public, armed with faked V5's utility bills, driving licenses etc. All in the vain hope that a dodgy dealer my just make them a new key - no questions asked.

No I suspect that this is not happening. They are walking the streets with LapTops or breaking into houses to steal keys.

An entire cottage industry is growing out of faux security that serves little or no purpose but causes massive stress and annoyance.

John i am very sorry to hear about what you've experienced. I too had a similar issue with my local dealership with my E63, resulting in it being there for over 6 months while they struggled to fix it.

I tried to go down the route of a refund ect however i did not take any sort of finance scheme out when purchasing the car so i was unable to receive a full refund. Maybe you might have more chance when it comes to this, if you have taken out a finance scheme?

The dealership that my vehicle was at didnt want to know, they fobbed me off at every chance they could get. I spoke and wrote to the dealership numerous times with no reply, Milton Keynes, Customer Services in Holland. All this and still no luck. I then threatened legal action, and only then did the general manager at the dealership start to take notice... (6 months in). I was then given the contact details to Mercedes Benz UK's Overall Director (very polite and reasonable gentleman). Only then was i given a compensation package for my local dealers c**k up.

If your dealer is now an LSH Autos franchise, i suggest talking to their customer services department (manchester i think). They were the only ones who i felt actually cared about the issue.

Regards.

I have to say that I would be tempted to reject the car, even if there is a cost difference in doing so.

The EML may or may not get sorted, but how many times are they going ot get you to waste your time going back and forth to the dealership - and even if it is fixed (not just cleared on STAR), you will spend months wondering if it is about to come back on again

The key issue is simply unacceptable. They must have more than enough proof of ownership as they sold you the car in the first place and would have had to identify you then - they are again hoping you will give up and go away

Lastly, you mention a bodywork problem - how old is this car?! It seems like it has either had a difficult life so far, or was put back into the system after the previous owner got fed up with the problems?

There are plenty of threads about rejecting a car - but if nothing else, should get their attention.

Good luck, will be interesting to see how this works out for you

Let's hope bmw cover it under warranty.

Do let us know but unless that's a known issue I'd be surprised if they pick up the tab.

I read on another forum of a BMW driver who slid into a kerb but felt he little more than touched it yet it broke the front suspension. Recovery driver told him he sees it a lot.

My experience of BMW warranty and customer service was absolutely faultless.
But this kind of claim will be a tricky one I agree.

Reading all these horror stories you guys have with after sale service with MB puts me off buying anything from them any time soon.
Are they moving positions that fast within group or different dealers so just don't give a ****e what will happen in near future with the product they have sold?
Missing keys, unsolved service mysteries, budget tyres on premium vehicles, etc.
Buying new or approved used MB is not for faint-hearted nowadays. I know that my blood pressure would be sky high if anything of what you've described happened to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom