customers right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wrblue

my partner bought a A170 on friday by monday there was problems with it took it back to the garage they r fixing the problem but couldn't give her a car to replace her own till the car was fix surley there must be some right if the car doesn't get fixed and back to us to day that she should recieve a car till the problem is put right! there excuss was that all the courtesy car were in use!

my partner bought a A170 on friday by monday there was problems with it took it back to the garage they r fixing the problem but couldn't give her a car to replace her own till the car was fix surley there must be some right if the car doesn't get fixed and back to us to day that she should recieve a car till the problem is put right! there excuss was that all the courtesy car were in use!

I very much doubt there are any rules that state that a replacement car should be offered.

Personally I'd say it all comes down to where she bought it and how big the dealership was. Was it a main dealer?

It would be helpful if you could give us any more details on what the prolem was, the age of the car, value and how badly your partner has been put out due to the loss of the car (is it needed for work etc).

I doubt there is a right, more a gesture of goodwill. To be sure, try calling your Citizens Advice Beaureu.

Is this a Mercedes main dealer or an independent?

I'm sure a main dealer would do something if you insist or call MBUK Customer Services. If it's a local garage, then you may have less success.

the problem is that in my opinion the gear box is on its was out and the tappets r about to jump out the engine there is like a grinding noise coming when the engine is on tick over like metal to metal! its a 55 plate still under manufacturers warranty!it was bought from a main dealer.

the problem is that in my opinion the gear box is on its was out and the tappets r about to jump out the engine there is like a grinding noise coming when the engine is on tick over like metal to metal!

Why did you buy it???

(I find it hard to believe that anyone would retail a car in such a state...)

my point exactly i didn't buy the car it was my wife while i was away working because she really liked it but in my eyes they should never have put it up for sale in the condition its in i know a lot about car and it is in no great shakes! if i had been there she would never have been dooped out!!!

Another route to take is Trading Standards. check what rights you have re refund if not satisfied.

i did ask what the cooling off period was he avoided the question and said let me put the things right before we get to that stage but my arguement was if these things are wrong now whats it going to be like in a years time! his point it was better to happen now than later as they can fix it!!!!! i told them i would rather swap the car for something else at the same price! ok its 10g but thats a fair bit to loose out on!!

If you swap make sure you don't end up with another load of cr?p. Not sure if you still have the same rights if you have accepted exchange vehicle.

the problem is that in my opinion the gear box is on its was out and the tappets r about to jump out the engine there is like a grinding noise coming when the engine is on tick over like metal to metal! its a 55 plate still under manufacturers warranty!it was bought from a main dealer.

If it really is that bad then you should go straight to MB direct. Call the dealer and be polite but be very firm.

From what you say that car was not fit for sale and so I can't see why you shouldn't be refunded, given a replacement or a temp car at the very least.

Going purely on what you have said I personally I wouldn't fancy buying a car that has clearly had a tough life regardless of it getting repaired.

Good luck

no well the thing is when i said that. the guy said that they couldn't do it??????? and they would fix the car! but with no courtesy that has put the both of us to problems i am calling them today to see what the script is as we need the 2nd car for my wife if not a replacement if not ready by the end of the working day! thats not alot to ask is it????

i did ask what the cooling off period was he avoided the question and said let me put the things right before we get to that stage but my arguement was if these things are wrong now whats it going to be like in a years time! his point it was better to happen now than later as they can fix it!!!!! i told them i would rather swap the car for something else at the same price! ok its 10g but thats a fair bit to loose out on!!
If this car was bought from a Mercedes-Benz main dealer then there should be a 30 day no quibble exchange.

Don't be flannelled and most important do not be delayed.

We are really talking goodwill when it comes to courtesy car's but this vehicle has only just been purchased. I would suggest goodwill is a two edged sword and no goodwill then return the car! :devil: :devil: ;)

Just simply reject it if you have only had it a few days. If its from a main dealer then you should get a 30 day/1000 mile no quibble period.

Portzy.

thanks for all replies u have been very helpful. i have loaded up some amo and am going to be fair but firm in this case as i don't want to be to much of a d*ck to them but i just want to change the car because of the state of it and o its done 30,000 miles with a lady owner b4 and in my eyes i think it has been starved of oil and gearbox fluid!!! the cluch is also very spungie!!!!

thanks for all replies u have been very helpful. i have loaded up some amo and am going to be fair but firm in this case as i don't want to be to much of a d*ck to them but i just want to change the car because of the state of it and o its done 30,000 miles with a lady owner b4 and in my eyes i think it has been starved of oil and gearbox fluid!!! the cluch is also very spungie!!!!

If this car is in the condition your describing then you have ALL the ammunition you require courtesy of Mercedes-Benz

A used car has to work particularly hard to get our seal of approval. Mechanics, electrics, bodywork, interior, tyres, wheels, vehicle history and mileage - all are checked and double-checked before the car even gets close to the showroom. So you enjoy the kind of reliability you'd expect from a new car.

If I were in your situation and this car is in the condition you are alledging.... I would reject it. TODAY

I cringe when I read folks recommending you take legal action, or involve Trading Standards. To me this is totally the wrong first course of action. All you will achieve is put up barriers. Far, far better to develop a rapport. Let the dealer know you are not a fool, but also let them know you are human with a sense of both humour and fair play.

In this particular circumstance I would thank the dealer for their efforts but this car does not match the high standards you have come to expect from this garage :) :devil: Then ask to look at something else.

Good luck

regards
John

If this car is in the condition your describing then you have ALL the ammunition you require courtesy of Mercedes-Benz

A used car has to work particularly hard to get our seal of approval. Mechanics, electrics, bodywork, interior, tyres, wheels, vehicle history and mileage - all are checked and double-checked before the car even gets close to the showroom. So you enjoy the kind of reliability you'd expect from a new car.

If I were in your situation and this car is in the condition you are alledging.... I would reject it. TODAY

I cringe when I read folks recommending you take legal action, or involve Trading Standards. To me this is totally the wrong first course of action. All you will achieve is put up barriers. Far, far better to develop a rapport. Let the dealer know you are not a fool, but also let them know you are human with a sense of both humour and fair play.

In this particular circumstance I would thank the dealer for their efforts but this car does not match the high standards you have come to expect from this garage :) :devil: Then ask to look at something else.

Good luck

regards
John

Ditto.

You're spot on there John.

BTW with a lot of stealerships getting a courtesy car requires a booking of 3-4 weeks in advance.

MB Manchester Central used to use Enterprise rentals for their courtesy cars and they could have one ready for you with minutes notice! Sadly they've now dumped Enterprise and taken the Enterprise employee on directly as the new courtesy car man. These days it takes 3-4 weeks notice... ;)

i couldn't have said it better myself! i will not be taking the legal action etc i just want either the car back in a1 condition or the chance to get alternative car that is in the condition every1 would expect when buying a car!!

i couldn't have said it better myself! i will not be taking the legal action etc i just want either the car back in a1 condition or the chance to get alternative car that is in the condition every1 would expect when buying a car!!
I understand what your saying but the car your partner now has sounds like it has been the subject of neglect??? You have very cleverly noticed a number of faults but how many others are lurking in the shadows?

Your the man on the spot, you have examined this car and you might feel it is worth keeping. Respect to you for that and I would never dream of contradicting your judgement. Go with what you think is the best settlement for your partner.

Regards
John the stirrer

With what you've described is wrong with it ( basically everything ) , i wouldn't be wanting that car full stop.

Who knows what is going to wrong with it down the line ? sounds like you are buying into a whole load of problems ...

Sounds like its been neglected badly in its past life , and this could contribute to endless grief down the line .

Send it back , and have a word with wifey not to buy anything without checking with you first ;) unless it's doughnuts of course .... :D

There's loads of A classes about, there'll be a better one along soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom