Customised Knob - Decision Time ;)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
My custom gearshift handle is almost ready - the leather part and the carbon fibre hydrographic parts are done. The only question remaining - which top to go for?

34942893041_2841ae6066_o.jpg

34262186993_eef99132c1_o.jpg

Rather surprisingly, the silver AMG top looks very much 'in place', and the black MB star ... not quite?

Opinions?

BTW, ignore the misalignments - all three tops were just placed there, to take pictures ...

Last edited:
I would have to agree with you on this David, number 1 for me :)

I like the middle one....maybe cos I`ve just fitted centre caps the same :)

Where did you get this made by the way?

My centre caps are the same as #3, so looks odd to me. I have #2 in my gear selector. I like that one.

Although the first does look good, assuming it's going on an AMG.

Where did you get this made by the way?

I bought a sports gearshift handle, with standard matte aluminium top and locking nut; took it apart, sent the middle section to Jack at the Royal Steering Wheels to re-trim in perforated leather, to match my steering wheel he did a couple of weeks before (and the armrest he just did); the carbon fibre dipping was done by Odell's Hydrographics in Rushden (and I can thoroughly recommend Lee - top chap).

For anyone looking to take a gearshift handle apart, without breaking it (assuming you've already removed it from the selector - the bottom locking nut is left-hand one) - the top star is held by 3M tape, so I used this little contraption:

34928992812_8b370fb527_o.jpg

and a couple of drops of the hot glue to lift it up - as long as you go slowly and do not tilt, it'll be fine.
Hot glue can be removed without a trace with just a few drops of pure ethyl alcohol.

Just to update:

As much as like the silver badge, and think it's perfect compositionally, I just couldn't force myself to stick an AMG logo into a non-AMG car ... so went with the original Mercedes star badge - it looks better in the interior, as there's plenty of black colour to support it visually:

34773820300_c8633afbff_o.jpg

Very well executed, looks very very nice :)

Just to update:

As much as like the silver badge, and think it's perfect compositionally, I just couldn't force myself to stick an AMG logo into a non-AMG car ... so went with the original Mercedes star badge - it looks better in the interior, as there's plenty of black colour to support it visually:

You beat me to it, I was going to say that I like the simplicity and minimalist elegance of the black logo.

Well done!

Also, just to say that I am not a fan of the classic blue laurels logo on modern Mercs. It looks fine on the classic Mercs though.

On the W204, I have it on the bonnet and wheel caps. I kept it because of the original look, but I would not have added anything to the car with that logo.

Personal opinion....

The whole thing just looks shyte. Very tacky and cheap. It will destroy your car, your reputation among colleagues and probably your marriage. Your kids will grow to despise you for bringing humiliation upon the family name.

Give it to me. I will see that it is disposed of correctly and without any fuss. Oh and make sure that you give it to me with the 'Black Mercedes Star' badge please. You may keep the other two as a reminder of your foolishness.

Just to update:

34773820300_c8633afbff_o.jpg

Looks good, i think you made the right choice.

:thumb: Brilliant, thanks Bruce!

I do have a nappa leather, original Avantgarde, handle for sale, you know haha.

I am a big fan of Carbon Weave (when done correctly) and your is very nice.

My Wife has a Black 4.8is BMW X5 that is crying out to have the interior trim hydro dipped in carbon. A full set of the exact trim, came up on the bay all done very nicely but very pricey.

What is interesting is if you every get to sit in a something like an F40 is just how rough the real thing actually looks. But it still has a real beauty. I noted in a couple of cars that I have sat in with real carbon trim that the weave is not matched for direction. That actually looks OK.

I like the carbon fibre look too, and you're absolutely right - the real thing, horrendously expensive as it is, often looks just too rough. I'd still go for it, if I could afford it, without a question though.

That said, I'm quite pleased with my choice of the carbon film and the base colour (real carbon silver 100 and black base), and think it probably suits the interior better, than the real carbon would have, being much darker - so, despite a few minor imperfections, am happy with the result, particularly considering my very limited budget.

Also, just to say that I am not a fan of the classic blue laurels logo on modern Mercs. It looks fine on the classic Mercs though.

On the W204, I have it on the bonnet and wheel caps. I kept it because of the original look, but I would not have added anything to the car with that logo.

Personal opinion....

Yes, I agree - particularly on a [small] black car the blue laurel badge on the bonnet looked out of character, so I replaced it with a new type black one (OE), which I think is much better suited:

33431992093_658e85605d_o.jpg

As to the wheel caps, I allowed myself a little frivolity :rolleyes: - painting the calipers red and fitting the EditionOne caps (it's a small car and one can't be too serious about it):

33704952991_e28f22c30a_o.jpg

I see what you mean. Spotted a 17 plate car in the street this evening:

Black_Logo.jpg

Yes, Mercedes started to fit these to their new cars from about March, if I'm not mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom