Customs Duty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
Don’t know what the duty rate is Roger (although 10% on automotive components sort of rings a bell) but you will get charged VAT on the total of the goods, shipping and duty charges.

I should have checked the Gov. website first.:doh:
It seems its 20% VAT on the total inc shipping plus duty at 3.5% and VAT on the duty.
So around £40.

I can live with that.

I should have checked the Gov. website first.:doh:
It seems its 20% VAT on the total inc shipping plus duty at 3.5% and VAT on the duty.
So around £40.

I can live with that.

Just be careful they don't try and hit you with an administration charge;
I once imported something, forget what now, but their 'administration fee' was more than the duty payable.

Last year, after being unable to find a replacement Irwin tool pouch that I had owned for a long time, I finally found one on ebay which was for sale in Pittsburg or Philadelphia.

$14 for the pouch and circa $140 duty.
Luckily, the seller was visiting London within a few days and brought it with him and posted from there.

If it can be posted via UPS, I know a manager there and can have a word on the best way of doing things if that would help, Roger?

Well, some progress. Although I ordered from an American company, they are being rather disingenious as the actual part is being shipped from Taiwan:doh:. On the plus side, they are on the ball and I received an email this morning from DHL with a bill for import duties that has to be paid before shipping.
Now whether the duty rates from Taiwan are less, or the company have undervalued the true cost I don't know, but the bill for import duties/taxes comes to £17. 80 and the part has already been shipped. It's due to be delivered by end of day 28th April.

So, I hope the fitment will be OK (the main reason I avoided China/Far East and went with a US company) and there are no more fees to pay. Lets see how this pans out. Copy of invoice from DHL below.
20200422_171135[1].jpg

Well, some progress. Although I ordered from an American company, they are being rather disingenious as the actual part is being shipped from Taiwan:doh:. On the plus side, they are on the ball and I received an email this morning from DHL with a bill for import duties that has to be paid before shipping.
Now whether the duty rates from Taiwan are less, or the company have undervalued the true cost I don't know, but the bill for import duties/taxes comes to £17. 80 and the part has already been shipped. It's due to be delivered by end of day 28th April.

So, I hope the fitment will be OK (the main reason I avoided China/Far East and went with a US company) and there are no more fees to pay. Lets see how this pans out. Copy of invoice from DHL below.
View attachment 94905

That's a real result.
As you say, the part being shipped from Taiwan has almost certainly made it less expensive.

Hopefully, the part will fit - I'll have that fiver I owe you on saying it will. ;)

It's arrived!
Ordered 10 30pm Tuesday evening, email from DHL following morning, paid £17 80 tax and duty.
Yesterday, advised parcel was in Hong Kong awaiting shipment.
Today 11 45 am, DHL delivered the spoiler. I am very impressed with the whole transaction. from start to finish.

As for the spoiler, its very nice. Even weave and fits the car very nicely. Just waiting for Amazon to deliver the 19mm wide VHB tape and it will be secured. This was supplied with 10mm wide tape that I've been advised is not sufficient.20200424_123724.jpg20200424_124008.jpg

Nice! Good for at least another 15bhp ive found.

Ive never found any tape suitable to hold a spolier in place, as soon as you park the car in direct sun in summer they always seem to ping off.

I recommend StikaFlex sealant (£5 from Screwfix) instead.

Last edited:
That looks really nice and really suits the car.

Looks good! Never thought I would see the day when something arrives from the far east quicker than an Amazon delivery! How times have changed...

Looks like you found a good buy there Roger :thumb:

Looks great Roger 👍

I had a factory-fitted CF spoiler on the bootlid of my pre-facelift E63 and the additional weight was just enough to stop the bootlid opening fully on its own springs. It always needed a little extra help. Be interesting if you find the same on your facelift car.

Can you adjust the spring tension? On earlier cars I remember there being alternative holes to allow a bit more stretch on the springs.

On the plus side, as it stands it will close easier though ;)

Can you adjust the spring tension?
I probably could have done, but it didn't bother me enough to warrant the potential for skinned knuckles doing it!

Nice! Good for at least another 15bhp ive found.

Ive never found any tape suitable to hold a spolier in place, as soon as you park the car in direct sun in summer they always seem to ping off.

I recommend StikaFlex sealant (£5 from Screwfix) instead.

Did you use this sealant as an alternative or in addition to VBH tape Karl?

I must admit I would prefer to use a sealant rather than the tape even though I've just ordered it. It will give a degree of adjustment you don't get with the tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom