Cutting Corners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
image.jpg

image.jpg

Could also have used the top pic in spot the mistake thread!

Could also have used the top pic in spot the mistake thread!

Might have gone through on amber/red?

As regards cutting the corner, we can't see what the driver can. There may be a reason for the angle he took. Either way, no harm was done, we all make mistakes.

No, it would have been a flat cyclist. All but one of the 8 cyclist deaths in London this year have been HGV related.

There is a sign on the truck which, if cyclists obeyed, would reduce the chance of them coming to harm to zero.

No, it would have been a flat cyclist. All but one of the 8 cyclist deaths in London this year have been HGV related.

Judging by the kamikaze actions of cyclists I saw on my recent visit to the Smoke, I'm surprised it's not more.

Judging by the kamikaze actions of cyclists I saw on my recent visit to the Smoke, I'm surprised it's not more.

Yep, was down there last Thursday driving around and hand on heart I did not see one cyclist approach a red light and stop. I was genuinely shocked at how bad their behaviour was as I always thought it was just a small minority as it is further north, but in London they all seem to cycle like they have a death wish!

One nearly collected a bus and decided to give the bus driver the finger despite the fact the near miss was 100% the cylcist's stupid fault. Maybe when they stop playing the victim card all the time and instead of cycling like tools start to accept some responsibility for their own safety I might take them seriously again, but it has really swayed my opinion of them as a section of road users to be frank!

These half-bells are there to protect pedestrians, by discouraging vehicles from mounting the pavement while taking the corner at speed.

They are usually found where there is a sharp right-angle turn from a main road where vehicles might be travelling fast.

The last time I have seen a similar case was when a double-decker bus managed to get the half-bell wedged under the bus in such a way that it lifted the left-hand rear part of the bus so that the wheels on that side were hanging from the axle and did not touch the ground - and on a RWD vehicle with no locking diffs this means the end of the journey (until the recovery vehicle comes along).

Last edited:
That photograph reminds me of Hamilton Waste and Recycling .

...we can't see what the driver can. There may be a reason for the angle he took. Either way, no harm was done, we all make mistakes.

I rather think we can all see two things the driver couldn't .

sometimes you have to cut a corner like that to get the truck into the side road

If it's that tight they should position offside before making the turn .

What swing onto the wrong side of the road first?
When they have a clear view of the street corner?

What is interesting about the much reported deaths of cyclists in collisions involving LGVs is the low number of LGV drivers prosecuted or even found to be at fault. It makes a complete mockery of the report this week where the chief cycle warrior was given airtime to pass the blame for cyclists actions onto drivers and being a topsy turvy world, TFL, aka BJ, has swallowed (sic) the rhetoric whole. "Cyclists behaviour costs hauliers thousands" should be the headline if reports were required to be factual.

During the recent televised report, a cyclist sat in the cab of a stationery tipper whilst a large chap wearing fluorescent yellow on a bike managed to hide from view alongside the left side of the cab despite all the additional mirrors and the cyclist was shocked and "didn't realise"…just goes to show that all the warning signs on lorries specifically for cyclists are wasted where stupid is involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom