cutting out imobiliser info needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glynandrews

Car
e220 coupe
I have recently purchased a 1993 220 coupe.
It has an lpg conversion although this is currently disconnected.
The engine will start and run but if it cuts out the only way i have discovered to make it re start for more than an initial second is to get out of the car,lock with the key and then un lock and then its fine again...until the next time!
It is currently off the road as i darent drive it and if this happens will have to get out of the car to do this and thus looking a bit of a whalley!
Any ideas gratefully received as I'm guessin this must be an immobiser of some sort?
It does have an alarm box and a fox alarm sticker on the window but i didn't get a keyfob with the car.
I have tried locking from the inside buy doesnt seem to work??
Slightly baffled as to what to try but also pleased that i've discovered how to make it run again.
Any help much appreciated as I want to try and save this car from the breakers yard!

What happens if you never lock the car, will the problem then cease?
What kind of key do you have, a remote fob with a flip out blade or an ordinary standard car key?

Dec

I havn't tried not locking it tbh.It is the standard old school key.When i bought it it was unlocked though for some reason??

How old is the car? It does seem rather strange to have an alarm fitted if there is already an MB alarm. It suggests that there may be no MB alarm and it would therefor be the Fox alarm that may also have an immobiliser fitted that may be causing the problem.

i see.Thanks Geoff,The car is 1993.If the fox alarm was causing the issue would that be wired to the door lock switch?Could the alarm just be disconnected or would it not be that simple?

just a quick update.Bizarrely this seemed to be caused as the battery wasn't full charged.Charged up and seems ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom