CV Gaitor Melted!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tflda29

Car
ML270 CDi 2002
Evening All,

I am needing to change the outer CV gaitor on my ML270 W163 as i got a bit over enthusiastic with the blow torch when trying to get a snapped front anti roll bar bolt out. :doh::(

My question is can i just remove hub nut (easier said than done) and then the top and bottom wishbone balljoints and swing the hub out of the way on the track rod end or do i need to remove calliper, disc etc.

thanks
Trevor

TBH I am not too sure, maybe one of the techies will be a long soon or tomorrow and can answer this technical query. I need to change mine soon.

Have you asked your local indy?

The CV Gaitor is expensive, around £150?

Kind Regards

dokalj

£150!!! god really.:eek:....oh dear that was an expensive mistake.....I was trying to save the £250 quoted to chage the front anti roll bar bushes and rear cross member brakeline...guess thats blown it now...

There's a split CV boot you can use at a fraction of the cost of the original replacement without dismantling anything but I appreciate this is not the course of action some people would want to take :thumb:

Yeah thanks for that just seen them online. I need to get the drive shaft out of the way to drill out the bolt i sheared so might as well fit a non split one. I see that you can get universal stretch ones for around a tenner....will probably go down this route...still not sure how much i need to remove though.

cheers
Trevor

You can actually buy the correct one for not much money, its available aftermarket, I just checked the parts system, need vin number for accurate check though.

Call me on 01302 623 293 with your reg number, cheers.

Thanks all,

Managed to get a boot from my local motor factors when i was there getting a 36mm impact socket for the hub nut. It was very cheap aftermarket item but will give it a go and see how it lasts.....Could replace it 21 times and still be quids in from the Mercedes price!!

I am now not sure the best way to fit it....should i buy one of the cone tools or is there a way to separate to outer cv joint whilst on the car so that i can easily fit the boot. Anyone got any ideas or a wis document showing how to do this?

thanks
Trevor

Could you please post a pic of when you are finished? I may need to change mine soon.

I am not too sure about the seperation process, sorry.

Thanks

dokalj

Yes Franey had actually managed to get hold of one at a very good price too...i didn't go for it as was having trouble with the hub nuts and thought i would end up having to put to a garage.

Anyone know if the outer cv joint is held with an internal cir-clip and so can be just knocked off?

Oh i will take some pics and post dokalj

thanks
Trevor

CV gaitor fixed

Finally i got round to replacing the cv gaitors on my ML270, pretty easy in the end and both replaced for £15 instead of £300 for the parts only from MB..

cheers
Trevor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom