Cvt oil change regularly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimD73

Car
B-Class W245
Hi.
I have a 2010 b class, W245. Can anyone with a cvt gearbox give me some advice on gearbox servicing.
I keep researching this and get very mixed responses.
How often are u guys changing gearbox oil and filter? I've heard everything from every 2 years to 60,000 miles. It was last done 3 years ago when I bought the car but I have only done about 20,000 miles since that service.
I would really appreciate some sound advice from long term owners using the same type of gearbox please.
It is due its 3rd year service since I've owned it next month and I really don't know if I need to include a gearbox service or not.
Many thanks

Nissan used to recommend 4 years or 40,000 miles on their CVT (then promptly removed this advice from our servicing book but I remember it was there before) so I stick to that interval and our gearbox has done 53k now I think. The first one did fail but at 22k and nearly 3 years old but they were known to be shyte so don't read into that too much!

I believe that will be the same type of CVT to which you refer i.e. belt-driven (and not the CVT which features in Lexus cars which is not the same at all).

I would probably do it next year in your shoes. If you intend to keep the car and it's working well, it's worth it to keep it ticking over.

I noticed an improvement in our Juke CVT after the last change.

Nissan used to recommend 4 years or 40,000 miles on their CVT (then promptly removed this advice from our servicing book but I remember it was there before) so I stick to that interval and our gearbox has done 53k now I think. The first one did fail but at 22k and nearly 3 years old but they were known to be shyte so don't read into that too much!

I believe that will be the same type of CVT to which you refer i.e. belt-driven (and not the CVT which features in Lexus cars which is not the same at all).

I would probably do it next year in your shoes. If you intend to keep the car and it's working well, it's worth it to keep it ticking over.

I noticed an improvement in our Juke CVT after the last change.
Many thanks for your input John,

Well I would change it right now at 20,000 miles since the last change.

My son had an old 2001 K11 Nissan Micra with a CVT box (belts) with 170,000 on the clock, I used to service the box two yearly. Getting hold of the fluid (NS-1) was the hard part, very good gearbox if a bit basic, not crap at all.

CVTs have had a bad rep for a long time, Audi, Nissan, Ford etc but they've improved dramatically, I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution and do it now. :)

All these boxes need new ATF much sooner than service intervals,the latest cars have the Aisin auto box fitted,its in loads of different makes they even do a 8 speed one,but the box is engineered to fit into a given small space and so is small with about 6 litres of special long life oil,problem is heat the boxes get hot and to my mind the idea that these boxes do not need a oil change is totally crazy,I changed the oil in one of these boxes at 45,000 and for one moment I thought I had undone the engine sump plug the oil was that black,so now I do it every 10,000 miles,these boxes are superb you do not know it is changing gear,from a cost point of view there is no filter and no need to renew the once only bolts like mercedes

fluid 236.20 for 722.8 transmission

Last edited:
I'm happy with the Nissan interval on our Juke because it doesn't have a tough life at all.

However, doing more frequently is no bad thing especially if one's car has a tough life (i.e. lots of traffic stop / starting / not allowed to warm up from cold)!

Certainly cheaper than a new gearbox (Nissan charged Nissan GB £6k for a new gearbox in 2015) and I know a recon is a good £1200 bill.

I muse to have a Nissan Primera (very reliable) with CVT, I believe it's JATCO made and uses standard ATF.

Thank you all so much for your help, input & advice. So, change it is.

fluid 236.20 for 722.8 transmission
Thank you for this. Handy to have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom