Cycle Carriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

High-Lo

MB Enthusiast
Car
2013 X166 Mercedes GL350, Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet, Porsche 968 Cabriolet
Looking to get a cycle carrier for 2-3 bikes to be fitted to our B Class. Something like this

Verona 3 bike boot fitting rack.: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

Any ideas if I will risk scratching my paintwork with one fitted? Alternatively would appreciate recommendations for similar products that have been tried and tested.

Thanks,
Steve

^ I know it would involve more cost and depend how much you use it...

However the thule towbar rack we have is great, holds the bikes very secure very well made. Drops down to you can access boot. Doesn't affect drag as a rack on roof bikes high up....

Used it again today with three bikes. Its the sort of bit of kit once you have you keep forever?

I don't like the look of any of those clip on ones, however a guy in the carapark at the forest we went to was putting his on a Golf Gti and the rubber clips and padding looked ok...

pic7.jpg

SSL25314.jpg

Many thanks guys will be checking out both options. Thanks again :)

I've got one of these - about £140, so more than your option, but not quite as upmarket as A210AMG's version. TBH I think it's a better option if you have a towbar fitted - certainly this is very strong and stable.

Hi I have a Thule 9404 and I use it more than most people ever use cycle carriers (almost ever week). It is great. A little more basic than A210AMG's Thule rack but you can pick them up for near £100. The main advantage of A210AMG's up market Thule is that they have a much better tilt function - to access the boot plus they are a little easier to fit.

Corned, your right its not cheap...

But it is the sort of thing that once you have why would I need to swap... Although We bought a two bike one and had to 'upgrade' to the 3 bike add one (for £90) when number 1 sprog wanted to bring her bike.

Thing is now we have a 9month old and when he wants to bring his bike we will need the 4 bike version....So will have to swap as this model only holds 3. :) so wait three years and ours will probably be for sale.

Ours was bought here.
Thule EuroClassic G5 908 Towbar Mount Cycle Carrier £269.99. Buy mail order cycle carriers and bike racks at skidrive.co.uk

so for the three bike version I have around £350

It is very very good kit though, fully built in lights, the way it works, folds, looks :) Always get people looking as I fold it down with three bikes on to open the boot. Easy to fit, fairly light and very secure.

Sadly when towing I cannot use it :(

Unless I could fit a towbar to the back of the van.......... Now theres an idea :)

Just an update also.

I'm sure in the MB brochure I have for parts on the B class (my wife has a B)

It shows a carrier that fits inside the car, rear seats obviously have to be flat but another option (only 2 bikes though)

This idea (just did a google image)
bclassbikes.jpg

Thanks for all your replies guys. Great suggestions.
From the reviews I have read so far, it seems as though most of the boot/hatch mounted cycle carriers will damage the paintwork in some way which I'm not keen about. Also my wife is against putting a tow bar on our B Class!

Not really sure which way to go with this.

Nick - do you know if the genuine Merc item provides sufficient protection for the paintwork?

Thanks again for all your input :)

Steve

^ All my cars including the ML had removable towbars with drop down electrics (you only need single for the lights)

You borrow the car one day have it fitted she would never know :)

I don't like the look of them either hence I alway choose a fully hidden one, some say they are detachable but you still see the attachment.

None of the type I have you could tell :)

^ All my cars including the ML had removable towbars with drop down electrics (you only need single for the lights)

You borrow the car one day have it fitted she would never know :)

I don't like the look of them either hence I alway choose a fully hidden one, some say they are detachable but you still see the attachment.

None of the type I have you could tell :)

Sounds good :)

Do you have a link to your one? If she is not keen I guess I could put it on my W203. Even better if you cannot see the attachment at all when removed :)

Hello

I have always gone for the westfailer make.

My wifes B class hasn't got a towbar as we use mine but this is a link to a good provider

This is the general link
> Towbars & Towbar Wiring > Mercedes > B Class > Detachable Towbar | Towequipe.co.uk

This is mine (on the E class)
Westfalia Towbar Mercedes B Class 05 On | £322.27 | Towequipe.co.uk

The little picture of the detachable bars mine is like the one on the left the 'U' shape, this way when removed and the socket swings up behind the bumper there is nothing to see.

Some athough are detachable your still lett with a metal plate which you can see and I don't like that.

quite pricey though I don't remember paying that fitted...

Hello

I have always gone for the westfailer make.

My wifes B class hasn't got a towbar as we use mine but this is a link to a good provider

This is the general link
> Towbars & Towbar Wiring > Mercedes > B Class > Detachable Towbar | Towequipe.co.uk

This is mine (on the E class)
Westfalia Towbar Mercedes B Class 05 On | £322.27 | Towequipe.co.uk

The little picture of the detachable bars mine is like the one on the left the 'U' shape, this way when removed and the socket swings up behind the bumper there is nothing to see.

Some athough are detachable your still lett with a metal plate which you can see and I don't like that.

quite pricey though I don't remember paying that fitted...

Cheers for that. I do like it but you're right t'is a bit pricey. I'll have a little think :)

Hi

Just to agree that a drop down electrics and removable towbar, is the way to go. I have this on my S211. Just don't ask the dealers to fit it for you. Ouch!

If thebtow bar option is too much I found this one was a good alternative
Thule Clipon 3-Bike For Estate Car: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

I have the Thule towbar fitted effort and it is great. Also got a couple of Thule roof mounted ones as only one of our cars has a towbar.

Thule ProRide aluminium cycle carrier no. 591.

Work well but not with a tall 4x4: it is a very long way up there!

Now the rear mounted clip on ones can have an unforseen embuggerance factor that depends on the car in terms of the rake angle at the rear if the design does not permit sufficient adustment capabilty. The shallower the angle of the rear of the car the more the whole thing tends points up to the sky!

Thus a friend of mine found he had to buy and keep in the car a two step alloy stepladder just to get the bikes onto the bars of this three bike rear mounted clip on carrier without a struggle!

Now he is a bit, er, vertically challenged, and the vehicle was a fairly high softroader with a raked rear screen but I gather there were some tragi-comic scenes played out. So if you can try before you buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom