Cycle chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PXW

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance; MG ZS EV
Anyone got any knowledge on these and able to help? PXW Junior (aged 14) has a Carrera mountain bike which he uses quite heavily - daily to and from school, goes cycling in the woods and trails at weekends etc. Bike was supplied by Halfords (as all these are - they are Halford's 'intermediate' brand, sitting below their Boardman range. It was the lad's choice, and seemed an OK spec for the £400 or so it cost) and for convenience has been serviced by them as well - he can get to a Halfords cycle service centre independently, and we are encouraging him to take repsonsibility for this himself.

They did an 'annual check' a few weeks back, after which the chain was slipping. Went back, and chain was replaced, along with one of the gear sets which had become a little worn. That chain broke. Replaced again, and the replacement broke. Replaced with a 'better' chain - bike was fine for a couple of weeks and yesterday he came home with the chain twisted - never seen this before, but several individual links are buckled and twisted.

I'm not sure exactly how he might have managed that, but wondered if any forum members had any thoughts/advice (apart from avoiding Halfords!); is there a stronger chain that anyone can recommend? I think he does put considerable force on it - cycles up some steep hills, and he tells me he leg presses 200kg at the school gym...:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance - any advice appreciated.

Is it a recognised chainset? i.e. Shimano etc..

According to the spec its an SRAM chainset...

When you said the chain was "slipping" do you mean it was jumping the front chain wheels (front sprockets)? Did it happen on all three sprockets? If not all three then it was a worn chain. If the new chain was badly fitted then the joining link could have been too tight as this will cause the chain to jump in the rear deraileurs. SRAM chains have a push fit pin system that has to be fitted carefully.

Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Chain Installation - Derailleur Bikes

New chains have to be correctly sized to the bike by removing a number of links...

Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Chain Length Sizing

There are many other things to check such as deraileur gear free running, wear and alignment as well as rear cassette wear. Once done the shifting system will need setting up properly. The twisted chain is typical of a chain being thrown into the rear wheel due to incorrectly setup deraileurs.

I'm afraid the average bike tech at Halfords isn't well trained.

Best find a local bike shop with a decent mechanic. If you want a go yourself then this is a good starting point....

park tool blue book | eBay

I could help you if you're anywhere near Leicester

When you said the chain was "slipping" do you mean it was jumping the front chain wheels (front sprockets)? Did it happen on all three sprockets? If not all three then it was a worn chain. If the new chain was badly fitted then the joining link could have been too tight as this will cause the chain to jump in the rear deraileurs. SRAM chains have a push fit pin system that has to be fitted carefully.

Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Chain Installation - Derailleur Bikes

New chains have to be correctly sized to the bike by removing a number of links...

Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Chain Length Sizing

There are many other things to check such as deraileur gear free running, wear and alignment as well as rear cassette wear. Once done the shifting system will need setting up properly. The twisted chain is typical of a chain being thrown into the rear wheel due to incorrectly setup deraileurs.

I'm afraid the average bike tech at Halfords isn't well trained.

Best find a local bike shop with a decent mechanic. If you want a go yourself then this is a good starting point....

park tool blue book | eBay

I could help you if you're anywhere near Leicester

Thanks, very helpful. I'll look into the park tool stuff. Agree on Halfords techs...that's partly why I posted on here, because I thought I would get more sense ;). Sadly I am some distance from Leicester, but thanks for the offer :thumb:

Whereabouts in the country are you? I'm a member of several MTB forums and would be able to point you in the direction of a recommended local bike shop.
Generally when replacing the chain its good practice to check the wear on the rear sprockets (cassette) and the front chainrings (part of the chainset) and replace as necessary. Problems usually occur when mismatched components are used for example mixing different speeds 7,8,9 or 10 speed (number of sprockets on a cassette) and brands as the different brands have different technology for easing shifting.
I wouldn't spend too much on tools, you can get a kit form LIDL from Thursday for £24.99 which is more than adequate for a beginner.

Bike Tool kit

Last edited:
Whereabouts in the country are you? I'm a member of several MTB forums and would be able to point you in the direction of a recommended local bike shop.
Generally when replacing the chain its good practice to check the wear on the rear sprockets (cassette) and the front chainrings (part of the chainset) and replace as necessary. Problems usually occur when mismatched components are used for example mixing different speeds 7,8,9 or 10 speed (number of sprockets on a cassette) and brands as the different brands have different technology for easing shifting.
I wouldn't spend too much on tools, you can get a kit form LIDL from Thursday for £24.99 which is more than adequate for a beginner.

Bike Tool kit

Thanks, very useful. I'm in Camberley - if you do know of any good local bike shops perhaps you could PM me?

Peter

It does sound like a cheap chain and worn sprockets.

Thanks all. Upshot was that Halfords agreed to replace the entire chain set including front and rear gear sets and chain with proper SRAM parts, all within their annual service fee (which is about £25 iirc). So a result. Apparently junior had managed to bend one of the gear cogs...not sure how, and nor is he!

Good to hear its sorted, for future reference Berkshire Cycles in Crowthorne which i'm told is near you comes recommended by a few on the MTB forum i frequent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom