Cycle Helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I have decided to take up cycling as a way of getting fit, since I hate boring cardio excercise, this should be more fun.

Whilst I have a good bike, albeit one that is a few years old, I have never owned a cycle helmet but think it is about time that I invested in one.

What do I need to look out for when buying a good cycle helmet, are there any good brands to look?

Many thanks

Tan

Hello

While you can spend £10 / £100 get one that fits comfotably and has secure and easy to fasten straps, For Summer use you may want one with lots of air vents although most you can get covers for these come winter.

I'm pretty sure if you buy from a desent bike shop they will all be saftey kite tested etc.

Its pretty much what feels right on your head, fits well and easy to use.

Don't forget a good lock also :)

I ride in currently and its great, no problem parking

Get a 'Tuff-top'....just for comedy value of course. :thumb:

Hello

While you can spend £10 / £100 get one that fits comfotably and has secure and easy to fasten straps, For Summer use you may want one with lots of air vents although most you can get covers for these come winter.

I'm pretty sure if you buy from a desent bike shop they will all be saftey kite tested etc.

Its pretty much what feels right on your head, fits well and easy to use.

Don't forget a good lock also :)

I ride in currently and its great, no problem parking

Agree with all that. Spent around 10 years commuting in London and was very fit. Came off twice and landed on my head but the helmet saved me.
If you have not been a regular road cyclist, try to find someone who can buddy you and show you the ropes of how to survive. London Cycling Campaign or CTC may be able to help.
http://www.lcc.org.uk/

Giro and Met are some of the most popular makes sold.

AKAIK all helmets sold meet the required EU standards. The price influences the weight and features but not the safety.

Get a helmet that fits properly and comfortably. If it's not comfortable you'll get tired of wearing it.

AKAIK all helmets sold meet the required EU standards. The price influences the weight and features but not the safety.

Just what I was told. A £15 helmet will protect your noggin just as well as a £50 one. It's down to styling and personal taste..

I went with the £15 quid one personally, style and taste are not words normally associated with me when I'm out on the bike :D ..

Cheers,

Gaz

I used to ride my bike in london when i was at uni but as soon as i started work, arriving all hot and sweaty did not impress!

Pretty good where I work,

Showers if you arrive hot / wet / muddy on your bike...

:)

Oh they had showers but then that meant i had to carry a samsonite around with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom