Cyclist jailed for pavement death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i'm sick of seeing cyclists around edinburgh city centre going at high speeds weaving in and out of the traffic queues, almost hitting your car or appearing out of no where as you go to accelerate off and then cut you up.

then there are the ones who just continue on through red lights as if the lights dont exist when all cars stop.

a few months back a cyclist doing this fell off (due to stupid speed around a roundabout outside the playhouse theatre) right in front of my car! i slammed on the brakes and swerved and avoided him along with a couple of other cars on the roundabout at the time, and he just jumped back on his bike and sped of into the queue of traffic again! :rolleyes:

if he hit my car who would pay? would i catch him? i think i know the answers........ :mad:

sometimes when the traffic lights change to green at a crossroads in edinburgh, you go to accleerate off and then a cyclist zooms across your path at 25+ mph - straight through his red light.

Last edited:
A friend has twice knocked off cyclists jumping red lights in London, the second 'victim' had the temerity to ring up and ask him how he was going to pay for the £2k bike. His answer couldn't be reproduced here.

My pet hates for today are pedestrians on cycle paths who shout at you as if you shouldn't be there!!! Or the motorist who decided it was ok to knock me off my bike and drive away when they saw me get up!!! Or the drivers who drive in the cycle lane on the A6 just north of Preston even when there are cyclists using it !!! Yes there are some folk on bikes who take the p*ss, especially in our cities but there are many more drivers who see them as nothing more than targets. Cyclists are people too... :cool:

There are also cyclists who drive MBs :eek:

There are also car drivers who drive through red lights, knock people over, etc etc.
It's best not to generalise about certain groups of road users as there will inevitably be much variation within that group with regard to speed/safety/law abiding.

That said, I agree; it should be much more than 7mths!

Last edited:
This will just mean that next time someone wants to kill someone they will use a bike rather than a gun, you only get 7 months using a bike....

K

I am very pleased to see this verdict. I am constantly annoyed with the antics of certain cyclists around Bristol. And, if nothing else, embarrassed by them. I cycle to work and for general errands around the City and, whilst I have a full complement of expensive, bright lights, reflective gear and, yes, third party insurance, everyone tars cyclists with the brush that really only applies to the crap ones!

I am also a member of Sustrans, maintaining local trails, however get annoyed with them since there is never any emphasis on improving standards of riding, just encouraging more crap cyclists onto the roads.

I did have a crap cyclist Top Trumps win the other night though- Chap going down a dark road, no lights, using a mobile and, yes readers, no hands on the bars!

This will just mean that next time someone wants to kill someone they will use a bike rather than a gun, you only get 7 months using a bike....

K

I imagine if you battered them repeatedly over the head with it (It's the only way to be sure!) then other charges/stiffer sentences would apply :p

He must wear the same glasses that motorist use when they read the Highway Code ;)

Many road users are guilty of selectivly accepting the the rules we like and disrigarding those we don't.

I recently got a torrent of abuse when I put down my passenger window and rebuked the bike rider who had seconds earlier blatently ridden through the red light I and a queue of other vehicles had been waiting at - too many idiots on bikes think themselves invincible or untraceable . If I had my way , they would all have to pay a token road fund licence and wear a tabard with a registration number on the back ; only children of primary school age would be exempt and allowed to ride on pavements - insurance would be compulsory too .

It also annoys me when cycle lanes are provided at great taxpayers' expense and moron bike riders refuse to use them : I can think of two examples - last week I was up in Aberdeenshire , on the dual carriageway leading from Westhill back into Aberdeen there is a separate cycle lane : I passed an idiot bike rider , lycra clad , who thought it OK to ride on the carriageway impeding other traffic when a lane was provided for him to ride safely ( I gave him a blast of the horn just before I passed him in my W126 , towing a trailer loaded with 4 bikes and a trail buggy for our 1 year old ) ; the same situation exists on the dual carriageway leading from Newbridge into Edinburgh , past the airport : again , there is a separate cycle lane - yet idiot bike riders are determined to ride on the main carriageway mixing it with buses , HGV's and generally fast traffic !!!!!! Why , Why , Why ?????

By refusing to use the lanes provided at great expense , they are hardly encouraging the government to provide better facilities for cyclists .

Bike riders without lights are another annoyance .

There is a world of difference between a proper cyclist and a bike rider .

I am a cyclist as well as an MB driver .

Last edited:
I see them more as perverts, all that lycra and stuff they like to parade in.

Russ

Despite the news of someone dying , the culprit getting a short sentence and folk taking issue with cyclists on 'their' roads.... you can only think of the lycra... who's the pervert? :eek:

I see them more as perverts, all that lycra and stuff they like to parade in.

Russ

Its blokes like you that i catch perving at my ar$e at the traffic lights that makes me scared :bannana:

Perhaps the difference is that knowledge of the highway code is an official part of the car driving test whereas the pedal-cycle test----------- doesn't exist. :doh: This leads to the situation where car drivers are at least aware when they are breaking the rules.:eek: Judging by the attitude of many (but not all) cyclists they don't even know they are committing an offence.:crazy:

When I grew up in the 1960's , pretty much EVERYONE did their cycling proficiency test ( I achieved the highest score in West Lothian , and still have the newspaper clipping to prove it ) .

I'm not sure if the test even exists nowadays ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom