Cyclist knocked down and killed pedestrian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Typical "lycra lout", the amount of these idiots I see going through red lights at junctions/pedestrian crossings, riding up onto the pavement to avoid traffic lights, it was only a matter of time before they killed someone! They moan about inconsiderate driver's but I see more cyclists flouting the Highway code than motorists! They should have some sort of compulsory training before being let loose on public roads and have insurance, MOT and a license, like the rest of us!
Instead of cycle lanes that eat up valuable road space, better educated and trained cyclists, would make all the difference.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Whatever defense he puts up? The two comments below show he carries a heavy weight of guilt.

"Alliston was riding a "fixie", a fixed wheel track bicycle with no front break, which is not legal on the road without modification."

"If Alliston had been riding a bike with proper brakes, he would have been able to avoid the collision with the HR consultant, prosecutor Duncan Penny QC said."

Oh, I missed, compulsory day-glo vests.

Last edited:
If? as the cyclist claims, she was on the her mobile phone (easily checked) Then it may well be that we some degree of culpability being placed on her. However. He was riding a machine that is not road legal and, as has been stated in court: Had it been fitted with a front brake (making it legal) he could have avoided the collision.

Nobody deserves to lose their life going out for a walk in their lunch break. To do so knowing that it was down to an illegal act makes it harder to bear for all.

I see no winners here. It was, by all accounts an avoidable act.

brucemillar said:
Whatever defense he puts up? The two comments below show he carries a heavy weight of guilt. "Alliston was riding a "fixie", a fixed wheel track bicycle with no front break, which is not legal on the road without modification." "If Alliston had been riding a bike with proper brakes, he would have been able to avoid the collision with the HR consultant, prosecutor Duncan Penny QC said."

The most relevant parts of he story I agree. I heard on the radio news that he was also being very gobby on social media about the pedestrian who just walked out whilst on the phone, and that he was pleased his bike wasn't too damaged. The lack of remorse seals it for me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causing_bodily_harm_by_wanton_or_furious_driving
Charged with an offence dating back to 1861- nice to see our highly paid parliamentary legislators are keeping up with the times! :rolleyes:

Graeme. I also noticed this. On doing some checking it appears that the charge does actually fit the "offense". I also read that it actually not as uncommon in it's use as we may imagine. Recently used against a cyclist who was apprehended for exceeding the 30mph limit and running a red light. He denied the speeding but was found guilty on the Police Evidence. They stated in court that they actually had to give chase in their patrol car and he was "riding furiously"

I've a figure of 16mph in my head as being the max speed for cyclists, might be under certain circumstances or even in public parks.

I see no winners here. It was, by all accounts an avoidable act.
Totally agree.

Regarding the cyclists "gobby comments" on social media, I'm in two minds. Do they show a callous nature and lack of willingness to accept culpability, or were they just the natural attempts to "justify" what happened that someone in shock would have spinning through their head, but in this case spilling out? And that is what a Jury will have to decide.

Clearly, if the cycle used is both illegal for road use through lack of braking performance, and that lack of braking power was instrumental in the collision, there is culpability on behalf of the cyclist. However, if a distracted pedestrian simply walks into the path of a wheeled vehicle then they bear a degree of responsibility for the event too. Again, this will be a matter for the Jury to decide.

The whole episode is very sad. One life has been cut short, and another potentially ruined as a result of a single event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, if a distracted pedestrian simply walks into the path of a wheeled vehicle then they bear a degree of responsibility for the event too. Again, this will be a matter for the Jury to decide.

I am sure it is illegal to ride on a pavement, no matter the condition of the bicycle so the poor victim should not be awarded any portion of the blame.

Highway Act 1835

I thought the collision happened while she was crossing the road?

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not defending the cyclist, rather pointing out that a Jury presented with all the facts will be making a decision regarding guilt.

Totally agree.

Regarding the cyclists "gobby comments" on social media, I'm in two minds. Do they show a callous nature and lack of willingness to accept culpability, or were they just the natural attempts to "justify" what happened that someone in shock would have spinning through their head, but in this case spilling out? And that is what a Jury will have to decide.

Given some of his alleged prior tweets, boasting about the illegal modifications and comparisons made to a prominent stunt rider, the evidence would seem to point towards the former.

I thought the collision happened while she was crossing the road?

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not defending the cyclist, rather pointing out that a Jury presented with all the facts will be making a decision regarding guilt.

Oops, your correct. maybe a small portion of the blame as it could have been a motorbike or even a car that struck her, we are all in some way responcible for our own safety.

Oops, your correct. maybe a small portion of the blame as it could have been a motorbike or even a car that struck her, we are all in some way responcible for our own safety.
...We are all responsible for our own safety .. I like that maxim...I was just thinking about the cyclist riding 3 abreast on our 50 mph country roads here in Norfolk the other day .. I tooted the **** to pull over and all I got was the v sign. mindless morons.. foxy52

Given some of his alleged prior tweets, boasting about the illegal modifications and comparisons made to a prominent stunt rider, the evidence would seem to point towards the former.
Like I said, that's for the Jury to decide :thumb:

Typical "lycra lout", the amount of these idiots I see going through red lights at junctions/pedestrian crossings, riding up onto the pavement to avoid traffic lights, it was only a matter of time before they killed someone! They moan about inconsiderate driver's but I see more cyclists flouting the Highway code than motorists! They should have some sort of compulsory training before being let loose on public roads and have insurance, MOT and a license, like the rest of us!
Instead of cycle lanes that eat up valuable road space, better educated and trained cyclists, would make all the difference.

While I wouldn't stereotype all cyclists ( I would say the vast majority ride safely and responsibly , although there are irresponsible idiots like the one in this case , just as there are irresponsible drivers ) I do think that one of the main problems is the lack of accountability because there is no set way of identifying cyclists , as there is with motor vehicles , all of which must by law display a registration number .

I have long advocated that , as well as holding third party insurance , road-going cyclists ought to be identifiable , and the simplest way of doing this is to make compulsory the wearing of a hi-viz vest , with their 'registration number' displayed clearly on the back . The number would belong to the cyclist and not the bicycle ( many cyclists have more than one ) .

Once red light jumpers and other offenders could be identified by traffic cams many of the offences seen everyday would largely disappear overnight .

For the many who cycle to work and other places regularly , the cost of this registration should still be less than the cost of using other modes of transport , so should not be off-putting . The registration could be linked to insurance , too , so that by taking someone's number you can obtain their insurance details .

Since , unlike motor vehicles , cycles don't tend to venture so far from their home area ( I know some do ) this could perhaps be administered by local councils , in return for which they could benefit from some revenue stream .

Cycling away from roads , for recreation , could be left unregulated , for those who just wish to cycle casually , but those who regularly use their cycles on the road would be obliged to register . While young children could reasonably be exempted , older children ( high school age ) could be expected to register , but with the fee either discounted or waived altogether whilst still attending school .

Taking this a stage further , it might also be not unreasonable , before completing the registration process and issuing the vest with registration number , to incorporate taking a cycling proficiency test and requiring the pass certificate to be produced as part of the registration procedure .

If this became law , and a cyclist was seen on the road , not displaying their vest with number , the police would be entitled to stop them and ask why , with the possibility of charges or bike confiscation if no satisfactory explanation .

This could also help to combat cycle theft , since the system could allow for registering the bike's frame number against the owner's registration , and if a bike turned up somewhere after being stolen , it would be easy enough to check the frame number and , with luck , trace the owner .

Re the case in point , while I agree the cyclist deserves all he gets due to taking a cycle without proper brakes on the public road , what gets me , beyond the tragic circumstances and outcome , is his apparent arrogance and lack of contrition .

I once experienced something similar , while I was legitimately crossing on a zebra crossing , a cyclist approaching at some speed shouted 'watch out , I've no brakes' , to which I shouted back 'well you shouldn't be on the road then' . He passed within a couple of feet , but thankfully without colliding .

Last edited:
While I wouldn't stereotype all cyclists ( I would say the vast majority ride safely and responsibly , although there are irresponsible idiots like the one in this case , just as there are irresponsible drivers ) I do think that one of the main problems is the lack of accountability because there is no set way of identifying cyclists , as there is with motor vehicles , all of which must by law display a registration number .

I have long advocated that , as well as holding third party insurance , road-going cyclists ought to be identifiable , and the simplest way of doing this is to make compulsory the wearing of a hi-viz vest , with their 'registration number' displayed clearly on the back . The number would belong to the cyclist and not the bicycle ( many cyclists have more than one ) .

Once red light jumpers and other offenders could be identified by traffic cams many of the offences seen everyday would largely disappear overnight .

For the many who cycle to work and other places regularly , the cost of this registration should still be less than the cost of using other modes of transport , so should not be off-putting . The registration could be linked to insurance , too , so that by taking someone's number you can obtain their insurance details .

Since , unlike motor vehicles , cycles don't tend to venture so far from their home area ( I know some do ) this could perhaps be administered by local councils , in return for which they could benefit from some revenue stream .

Cycling away from roads , for recreation , could be left unregulated , for those who just wish to cycle casually , but those who regularly use their cycles on the road would be obliged to register . While young children could reasonably be exempted , older children ( high school age ) could be expected to register , but with the fee either discounted or waived altogether whilst still attending school .

Taking this a stage further , it might also be not unreasonable , before completing the registration process and issuing the vest with registration number , to incorporate taking a cycling proficiency test and requiring the pass certificate to be produced as part of the registration procedure .

If this became law , and a cyclist was seen on the road , not displaying their vest with number , the police would be entitled to stop them and ask why , with the possibility of charges or bike confiscation if no satisfactory explanation .

This could also help to combat cycle theft , since the system could allow for registering the bike's frame number against the owner's registration , and if a bike turned up somewhere after being stolen , it would be easy enough to check the frame number and , with luck , trace the owner .

Re the case in point , while I agree the cyclist deserves all he gets due to taking a cycle without proper brakes on the public road , what gets me , beyond the tragic circumstances and outcome , is his apparent arrogance and lack of contrition .

I once experienced something similar , while I was legitimately crossing on a zebra crossing , a cyclist approaching at some speed shouted 'watch out , I've no brakes' , to which I shouted back 'well you shouldn't be on the road then' . He passed within a couple of feet , but thankfully without colliding .

Were applicable this should also apply to Jogger's :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom