Cyclist Mirror Smash On News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maha

Car
Suzuki Alto
Hello all,

Did you see the news about that road rage incident with the cyclist who smashed his bike lock through a car where a baby was in the back. I think they are looking for the cyclist but its going to be tough to catch him with no CCTV etc.

This is why cyclists need to have the same policies as cars i.e. Licence plate numbers, driving licence tests, insurance etc.

why would you get out of the car and take a picture before getting your child out and checking there ok?

But yes disgusting action by the cyclist

Yes I agree, I think though it was a couple in the car so one could have noted down the plate number, also witnesses around may have noted it if it had happened.

Its going to be near enough impossible to find this person now.

...This is why cyclists need to have the same policies as cars i.e. Licence plate numbers, driving licence tests, insurance etc.

Cycling is promoted as green method if transport.

The authorities know that trying to attach any form of regulation, bureaucracy or cost to cycling will reduce the number of cyclists on our roads and for this reason it will never happen.

Not even after several incidents where pedestrians were knocked off by cyclists cycling on the pavement.

I do see cyclist jumping red lights regularly, and on some occasions even weaving across moving traffic through a busy junction, but I am aware this will not change...

So it is what it is.

Jeez, not this again!

This is why cyclists need to have the same policies as cars i.e. Licence plate numbers, driving licence tests, insurance etc.

How would insurance make any difference?

Not condoneing what happened, but what caused the cyclist to attack?

I cycle every single day to and from work and every day I pass countless drivers on their mobiles - not calling, facebooking etc who drift into cyclelanes, drift across and clip me.
2 years ago I ended up in A&E due to a car hitting me.

Before the anti cycle brigade start their usual onslaught, just imaging how many more cars would be on the road if cyclists werent on their bikes?

Last edited:
Jeez, not this again!

How would insurance make any difference?

Not condoneing what happened, but what caused the cyclist to attack?

I cycle every single day to and from work and every day I pass countless drivers on their mobiles - not calling, facebooking etc who drift into cyclelanes, drift across and clip me.
2 years ago I ended up in A&E due to a car hitting me.

Before the anti cycle brigade start their usual onslaught, just imaging how many more cars would be on the road if cyclists werent on their bikes?

The Lady (I think driver) stated that the cyclist had already thumped the car on the N/S rear with his hand, annoyed at not being able to undertake her in stationary traffic. As the traffic started to move he followed, took out his padlock and smashed it through her rear quarter glass.

Whatever the initial incident? the reaction has no place on our streets. The cyclist should be caught (Police have a good description) and charged.

Insurance would mean he/she would have to pay for the damage of any injury to the baby, window being smashed etc. I am not part of the "hate cycle brigade" although the ones that ride on the footpath or use the footpath and road in combination i do hate.

But if they are going to use the road they should have some of the same policies applied to them that cars have to adhere to and not be able to freely decide what rules apply to them.

I drive to work everyday and like you see many cars texting, on facebook etc I see everyday cyclists riding past red lights, cutting pedestrians while they are crossing zebra crossing or traffic lights etc.

"Miss Gautama said the cyclist had long blonde hair worn in a pony tail and was wearing a bright yellow jacket and black cycling shorts".

Too. Many. Stereotypes. Brain. Hurts.

The other thing to take into account is this was in Landan, land of the sociopathic kamikaze cyclist.

This explains it - sounds like they nearly clipped him.

Eh? She states that the maybe the cyclist couldn't get past them, which suggests to me that they were stationary and he was trying to get through a gap that he couldn't fit through.

Eh? She states that the maybe the cyclist couldn't get past them, which suggests to me that they were stationary and he was trying to get through a gap that he couldn't fit through.

Reading between the lines, id put my money on the car blocking a lane/cycle lane and the cyclist having some choice words before it all kicked off.

Someone on another forum pointed this out:

"Of course rather than take my child out the seat straight away, I whipped out my iPhone and took a picture first of my baby surrounded and covered in glass".

:fail

Hello all,

Did you see the news about that road rage incident with the cyclist who smashed his bike lock through a car where a baby was in the back. I think they are looking for the cyclist but its going to be tough to catch him with no CCTV etc.

I have long argued that , despite being one myself , cyclists should have to show some sort of identification mark so that they are accountable for their actions and can be traced in instances such as this . The arguments are exactly the same as for registration marks on motorised vehicles . This would most conveniently take the form of a hi-viz tabard with the 'registration number' shown on the back , since it would apply to the cyclist and not the machine ( a concession of this system being that cyclists are not penalised for owning multiple cycles , unlike the hard hit motorist ) .

I'd make it compulsory for all 'road going' cyclists , whilst letting off those who cycle only on off road tracks or trails for recreation .

Many here and elsewhere seem to be very much against cycling on the pavements , but in areas where traffic conditions make it unsafe to cycle in the roadway , it can make sense and be safer to cycle RESPONSIBLY on the pavements , increasing numbers of which are being designated shared use by councils in recognition of this .

Yes , cycling may be 'green' , but why shouldn't those who choose to do it , rather than driving or taking public transport , accept some modest cost associated with their activity ? If it does remove some cyclists from the roads , it will most likely be the ones we want rid of anyway .

If incidents of this type become more commonplace , something along the lines of the above will come in , despite any bleats of protest .

Yes , cycling may be 'green' , but why shouldn't those who choose to do it , rather than driving or taking public transport , accept some modest cost associated with their activity ? If it does remove some cyclists from the roads , it will most likely be the ones we want rid of anyway .

So explain how this would work? are you going to get kids to start wearing ID tabbards or start charging them?

If you start taxing/charging for cyclists then you are going to increase the number of cars on the road, number of people on already crowded public transport. also increase the negative health problems our country now has.

How many road rage incidents happen with car drivers each day? 1000s id imagine. They all pay tax and insurance yet doesnt stop them does it?

Its easy to see 1 cyclist going through a red light then quickly jumping to the conclusion that all cyclists break laws.

Last edited:
Reading between the lines, id put my money on the car blocking a lane/cycle lane and the cyclist having some choice words before it all kicked off.

Smashing a bike chain into someone's car window because they may have been slightly blocking your path is a little disproportionate, no?

By that measure, the car driver would have been within their rights to run the Ponytail over?

The driver was a learner, the car was displaying L plates and had a baby on the back seat.

This one is difficult to defend from any stance, you're on a hiding to nothing trying to provide an alternative view point on this instance Killer.

I don't care if you're on a bike, on foot, in a car or an artic, when a car is displaying L plates you give them a little more respect than any other road user as you have no idea what their level of spacial awareness is.

Last edited:
Smashing a bike chain into someone's car window because they may have been slightly blocking your path is a little disproportionate, no?

By that measure, the car driver would have been within their rights to run the Ponytail over?

As my previous replies, I am not condoning it at all. im just explaining how I think it all came about.

The other thing to take into account is this was in Landan, land of the sociopathic kamikaze cyclist.

Exactly. Why should the animalistic behaviour of a minority in London impinge on my freedom to cycle the rural back roads of NE Scotland?

I'm beginning to see why some cyclists have become what they have though. Saturday on an A-road a car pulled out (turning left) from the road I was about to turn right into and proceeded at a crawl. Whereupon a LR Discovery appeared behind it heavy on the brakes and all horn and flashing lights. I could appreciate his frustration but if he was remonstrating that the car saw him and pulled out anyway, then he also saw the car and had plenty time to slow up. So he is already out of line. But he has his right indicator on all set to overtake it crossing double whites 50m before a blind right hand bend and me approaching, cycling, in the lane he is considering jumping into. **** right off with that! So, I carry on, make my right turn crossing in front of an approaching car showing no indicators. I've just made the turn and that car nearly has me off so close does it pass me. Had it indicated sufficiently in advance of turning I would have known it was coming.
Twice over in less than 50m and ten seconds I am placed in danger by selfish car drivers. Starts to get to you.
No excuse to behave aggressively, but I can see how wound up some cyclists can become.

If incidents of this type become more commonplace , something along the lines of the above will come in , despite any bleats of protest .

The general cycling public are fine, anything that encourages health and fitness should be applauded, it's the GoPro wearing MAMIL's who seem to cause all the negative headlines.

Exactly, sitting in a car you have no idea of the dangers when passing a cyclist at 40mph with only inches to spare. I wish that the anti cycle brigage would try cycling in a busy town centre for 10mins before they start their usual rants.

Red C220

Im not trying to defend the actions at all, however im sure there is alot more to this story think the drivers account makes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom