Cyclist touching my car... what's your opinion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep if he refused to move it I would have removed it for him by either pushing him off through the window or opening the door on him (its only metal it will repaint) can't stand arrogant t*ssers like this and would be worth the cost of the paint.

I wonder what would've happened if you'd opened the roof while is hand was there?! :D

Round my way cyclists love to ride two or three abreast and block off the narrow country lanes. VERY annoying!

Round my way cyclists love to ride two or three abreast and block off the narrow country lanes. VERY annoying!

I've got a cure for that one if they ignore the first polite toot of the horn for them to move so I can get past then as far as I'm concerned its game on and they accept the consequences :D

Astonishing thread.

Battering cyclists for touching your cars?

No offence meant but that is simply childish behavior.

It was YOU!!! :eek:

Quite a few years back, I was heading to work with a friend in his car.
It was about 8.30pm.
We overtook a cyclist (probably about 25 years old) on an old mountain bike.
Shortly after overtaking him we stopped at a red light.
Gweedo on the mountain bike thought it would be funny to just ride straight into the rear bumper of my friends car.
No sure if it was intentional or whether he had been drinking, but either way, it was a big mistake.

Me and my friend got out.
We kicked off and removed Gweedo from his bike.
We launched Gweedo's bike over a nearby wall.
We continued our journey to work.

And maybe it was accidental! Either way I find you and your friends behaviour totally unacceptable.

Are you saying that the OP felt his life was in danger and should have run the cyclist over and paralysed him? :rolleyes:

Only if the cyclist would have learnt something from it...otherwise, leave him dead.

I've got a cure for that one if they ignore the first polite toot of the horn for them to move so I can get past then as far as I'm concerned its game on and they accept the consequences :D

Totally unacceptable.

I do hope these responses are tongue in cheek. Yes some cyclists can be annoying as can other drivers, but a little tolerance and patience is the best way.
I can understand the OP being disgruntled at the arrogance and rudeness of that particular cyclist but that's no reason to stoop to his level.

I do hope these responses are tongue in cheek. Yes some cyclists can be annoying as can other drivers, but a little tolerance and patience is the best way.
I can understand the OP being disgruntled at the arrogance and rudeness of that particular cyclist but that's no reason to stoop to his level.

Totally agree, no need to stoop to his level so stand up straight and punch him right on the bridge of his nose :D

Totally unacceptable.

You raise an interesting philosophical question; when another road user is being selfish and the other road user is unidentifiable (no index plate) so recourse of law is highly improbable, is there ever a point where accepting said behaviour is unacceptable, seeing how prolific said behaviour is nowadays?

Or is it incumbent on the civilised to accept the uncivilised without recourse?

I would have asked him to remove his hand. With the response you got, I would have said, you'll do what your told sunshine then released the bond oil slick from the reg.

You did well to let it go IMO.
I'm not sure I would have been able to. Not for touching the car, but his response.

-t

Astonishing thread.

Battering cyclists for touching your cars?

No offence meant but that is simply childish behavior.

Sorry, but to me, it's no different to someone taking it upon themselves to lean on your parked car while waiting for someone.
It's nothing short of disrespectful.
Would you still think the same if I decided to randomly lean against a stationary cyclist while retrieving a stone from my shoe?

Maybe you'd think nothing of someone giving your other half a squeeze on her bum as they walked by.
After all, there was no harm done, no?

One of the main problems in this world is lack of respect.

Thinking it's perfectly fine to lean on someone's car when waiting at a traffic light is a perfect example.

Also, you must remember that you're addressing people that work hard, have paid for an expensive car and above all are car enthusiasts, on a car enthusiast forum, no less!

I'm a keen road cyclist but would never in a million years do that, no need for it and its just asking for trouble tbh.

You raise an interesting philosophical question; when another road user is being selfish and the other road user is unidentifiable (no index plate) so recourse of law is highly improbable, is there ever a point where accepting said behaviour is unacceptable, seeing how prolific said behaviour is nowadays?

Not if 1: He is smaller than you... and

2: There are definitely no witnesses... and

3. He will be unable to catch you up and exact revenge. So best cripple him...

That's practically speaking; philosophically, just grin and bear it, because there's really nothing else you can reasonably do to assuage your annoyance at what is really a very minor thing indeed. The world is full of rude people, so you are bound to meet some from time to time.

Not unless 1: He is bigger than you... and

2: There are definitely no witnesses... and

3. He will be unable to catch you up and exact revenge. So best cripple him...

That's practically speaking; philosophically, just grin and bear it, because there's really nothing else you can reasonably do to assuage your annoyance at what is really a very minor thing indeed. The world is full of rude people, so you are bound to meet some from time to time.

I respect your input.
If it was a random car owner that couldn't really give two hoots about their car then, yes, I expect 90% of people to not be bothered (or even notice the hand, for that matter).

But as I mentioned earlier, there are the smaller percentage of car owners (enthusiasts) that would not be so forgiving.
It's not a case of "look at me, I'm in an expensive car, I'm the king 'round here, keep back, don't touch my car!".

It's more a case of us spending monumental amounts of time and money on our cars because they play a big part in our lives and we have a passion for them.
We know all too well the effort that it takes to detail, protect and care for our cars.
We also know how chaotic and expensive it can be to have corrective work done on our cars through the ignorance, disrespect, immaturity, stupidity or jealousy of others.

Let's suppose that our cyclist... let's go ahead and call him Gweedo... Let's say that Gweedo placed his hand on one of our cars while waiting at a red light with jewellery clad fingers.
What if Gweedo damaged the paintwork and put some lovely scratches in the paint while whistling a happy Gweedo tune waiting for the lights to change.
Off Gweedo rides.

Only, you get home to find the damage that Gweedo has left.
You're at home now.
Gweedo is long gone.
Yet you are now faced with the prospect of corrective work to your paintwork because Gweedo took it upon himself to use your car as a lamp post.

Sorry, but this doesn't wash with me.
People should keep their hands off other people's property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom