Cyclist touching my car... what's your opinion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks , I know that both are a bit of a stretch .

However , I don't think there has to be any element of either damage or injury for a collision to have taken place , merely contact , and it wouldn't have to be a mechanically propelled vehicle : the cyclist riding into your back bumper , or slipping sideways off his bike whilst stopped alongside and even just a part of his body landing against your car ( perhaps causing no damage ) would certainly be a collision , and might be accidental .

If you were sitting in your convertible and said cyclist came along and placed his hand on your shoulder to steady himself that certainly could be an assault , especially if , on being asked to remove it , he refused .

I like the criminal damage idea , although some proper damage , such as a scratch to the paintwork on an otherwise immaculate car , which would require rectification , would be needed to make it worthwhile .

Obstruction is another possibility , if you are prevented from moving off because of this limpet attached to your car - either for fear of causing him injury if he were to lose balance if you moved off while he was still leaning , or indeed for fear of him falling against your car and causing significant damage to it .

And the police would arrive in force to the tune of the blues and twos to arrest this 'limpet'? Good luck with that one, it's a job to get them to attend if your car is stolen, or do you suggest holding the cyclist there until they arrive via a citizen's arrest?

I wonder if anyone puts gloves on to close the bonnet of their car!! Im sure some do.

Thanks , I know that both are a bit of a stretch .

However , I don't think there has to be any element of either damage or injury for a collision to have taken place , merely contact , and it wouldn't have to be a mechanically propelled vehicle : the cyclist riding into your back bumper , or slipping sideways off his bike whilst stopped alongside and even just a part of his body landing against your car ( perhaps causing no damage ) would certainly be a collision , and might be accidental .

If you were sitting in your convertible and said cyclist came along and placed his hand on your shoulder to steady himself that certainly could be an assault , especially if , on being asked to remove it , he refused .

I like the criminal damage idea , although some proper damage , such as a scratch to the paintwork on an otherwise immaculate car , which would require rectification , would be needed to make it worthwhile .

Obstruction is another possibility , if you are prevented from moving off because of this limpet attached to your car - either for fear of causing him injury if he were to lose balance if you moved off while he was still leaning , or indeed for fear of him falling against your car and causing significant damage to it .

It all revolves around who was responsible for the collision………

The law defines a reportable road traffic collision as an accident involving a mechanically-propelled vehicle on a road or other public area which causes:

Injury or damage to anybody - other than the driver of that vehicle,

Damage to a vehicle - other than the vehicle which caused the accident.

There are offences relevant to cyclists……
Dangerous cycling.

(1)A person who rides a cycle on a road dangerously is guilty of an offence.
(2)For the purposes of subsection (1) above a person is to be regarded as riding dangerously if (and only if)—
(a)the way he rides falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful cyclist, and
(b)it would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist that riding in that way would be dangerous.

Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling.

If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.

Unfortunately, in relation to obstruction, without lawful authority or excuse, you wilfully obstruct the free passage of the highway means obstructing the highway, not other highway users. Waiting at lights would not apply.

Exactly, or fall off and slide their bike down the side of your car , but someone on here can't work that out basically because he's too busy being a smart alec as per usual!!!

Whey, Hey... He's back for another round...

As a cyclist, I probably have a greater understanding of what would work than you do.

Nothing new there, then...;)

Last edited:
If intending to turn left I do position well to the left so as not to leave a 'suicide alley' for cyclists to come up and get into trouble .

My driving instructor taught me that was the correct position.

If back in a queue I wouldn't do it as it is antisocial to block others way forward.

My driving instructor taught me that was the correct position.

If back in a queue I wouldn't do it as it is antisocial to block others way forward.

Agreed , the positioning would be based on timing and the probability of a cyclist coming up on my left as I was turning .

Believe or not, the official cyclist training teaches, that when the traffic gets fairly heavy the safest position for them is in the centre of the carriageway.

Without going through this again, inconsiderate cyclist will not be the most courteous driver and vice verse. So it is not the type of a vehicle, but type of people which are causing problems for others.

All the comments about getting out of a car and 'bashing' cyclists heads in....common, really??

And as for nudging a cyclist, well, seen that they are classed as vulnerable road users, it will be always down to the driver to take the blame for it.

Stay calm and be safe ;)

This is hilarious! I love how wound up people get! Some of you need to really chill out... It's really not that important, and it's not good for your health.

The discussion about tribes was particularly enteraining for me, and everyone in my office after I involuntarily bust out laughing and spat over my screen... the image of Rashman in a safari hat coming out his front door with an elephant gun approaching a tribe of native jungle folk wearing bones through their noses... Genius.

(Don't anyone point out that he said Malaysian or Tibetan, I can read...)

Oh, and for Benz on the Green PCS GTG next year we'll have one of those inflatable sumo arenas so we can all let the anger out!

Pontoneer said:
In the eyes of the law : yes , really . Merely touching another person can , in law , constitute assault . Similarly , even if two vehicles merely touch , that technically is a collision . Since the cyclist is both a person and part of his contraption , either could apply .

Get a perspective...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom