Cyclist touching my car... what's your opinion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cb1965

Banned
Car
N/A
OK folks, what's your opinions on this?

Last night I was stopped at a red light when a cyclist pulled up alongside and proceeded to steady himself on his bike by putting his hand on the roof of my car.

I wasn't overly happy with this as a) I don't want grubby paw prints all over my car and b) I don't want his bike that close to my paintwork. However I let it go ensuring he had removed his hand before we set off. Lo and behold at the next set of lights he does it again.

This time I dropped the window down and very politely asked him to remove his hand from my car. He refused stating 'I will do what I like thanks'.

Fortunately the lights changed and I decided to turn off, park up and calm down as it was only going to end in tears if it happened a third time.

Now firstly I am pleased I defused the situation with no real aggro, but on the other hand I was a bit hacked off I 'let him get away with it'.

Twenty years ago and it would probably have ended a whole lot differently, but with age comes wisdom thankfully. :D

Maybe I was being unreasonable, but I do spend a lot of time cleaning and polishing my car and I don't really want people putting their dirty hands all over it. Hell I am ever careful not to touch it myself LOL!

What do you lot think?

Im a cyclist and I find that bang out of order. Dont worry, he'll do it to a car one day and end up with a smack in the face.

OK folks, what's your opinions on this?

Last night I was stopped at a red light when a cyclist pulled up alongside and proceeded to steady himself on his bike by putting his hand on the roof of my car.

I wasn't overly happy with this as a) I don't want grubby paw prints all over my car and b) I don't want his bike that close to my paintwork. However I let it go ensuring he had removed his hand before we set off. Lo and behold at the next set of lights he does it again.

This time I dropped the window down and very politely asked him to remove his hand from my car. He refused stating 'I will do what I like thanks'.

Fortunately the lights changed and I decided to turn off, park up and calm down as it was only going to end in tears if it happened a third time.

Now firstly I am pleased I defused the situation with no real aggro, but on the other hand I was a bit hacked off I 'let him get away with it'.

Twenty years ago and it would probably have ended a whole lot differently, but with age comes wisdom thankfully. :D

Maybe I was being unreasonable, but I do spend a lot of time cleaning and polishing my car and I don't really want people putting their dirty hands all over it. Hell I am ever careful not to touch it myself LOL!

What do you lot think?

should have tapped the bike a little with your car , "then say i do what i like"

another reason to buy an ml they cant reach the roof , and if the piss you off run over the bike :bannana:

but I do spend a lot of time cleaning and polishing my car and I don't really want people putting their dirty hands all over it. Hell I am ever careful not to touch it myself LOL!

This ^^^^.
I'd have been most unhappy :devil:.

Rash would have a Sean...

Im a cyclist and I find that bang out of order. Dont worry, he'll do it to a car one day and end up with a smack in the face.

I must admit that is what I was thinking. If he does that to the wrong person he may well end up on the receiving end of a good hiding, rightly or wrongly.

I will say that in my experience most cyclists I see are very good riders, but like car drivers there are a small proportion who are arrogant so and so's ... this guy falls into the latter although given his attitude I was actually surprised he stopped at the red light at all ;)

That's just plain rude. Politely asking him to not lean on your car and getting that response.. uncalled for. Makes me sad that people are like this when spoken to politely.

This is why I tar all lycra louts with the same brush. Which is a shame. There have been so many in the last few weeks who cycle 3 a breast blocking the road and just ignore the fact you can't pass. Anti-social and unneccessary.

should have tapped the bike a little with your car , "then say i do what i like"

another reason to buy an ml they cant reach the roof , and if the piss you off run over the bike :bannana:

I shouldn't laugh, but :D :D :D

I'd have been most unhappy :devil:.

Rash would have a Sean...

Yes he would and rightly so. I am not quite at his level, but I would take the runner's up spot for car cleaning I think :D

...but like car drivers there are a small proportion who are arrogant so and so's ... this guy falls into the latter

Agreed.

That's just plain rude. Politely asking him to not lean on your car and getting that response.. uncalled for. Makes me sad that people are like this when spoken to politely.

Yes I think that is what hacked me off the most. I was deliberately very polite and got a mouthful of arrogance back. Very sad like you say!

I am also a keen cyclist(middle aged man in lycra) but this behaviour is exactly what gets us a bad name. Its just so arrogant and totally unnecessary.

I agree with the comments above*. It's rude and unnecessary. Sounds like he could do with practising his track stands (this makes you much cooler to other cyclists!).

* I'm a very experienced road cyclist

im a keen road cyclist too, And if he had done that to my car i woulda certainly been p***** off

Another keen cyclist here, and I also find his behaviour totally unacceptable.

I might do this with a flatbed truck or something like that, but never a car or van.

....Hell I am ever careful not to touch it myself LOL!

Yup, I'm exactly the same.
Always wear surgical gloves when I work on the car.
I never touch the care with bare hands.
When getting in and driving, I'm always careful to use minimal contact with my hands.
The only part of the car I hold completely is the steering wheel.
Everything else gets the 1 finger treatment (ooer! lol).

Quite a few years back, I was heading to work with a friend in his car.
It was about 8.30pm.
We overtook a cyclist (probably about 25 years old) on an old mountain bike.
Shortly after overtaking him we stopped at a red light.
Gweedo on the mountain bike thought it would be funny to just ride straight into the rear bumper of my friends car.
No sure if it was intentional or whether he had been drinking, but either way, it was a big mistake.

Me and my friend got out.
We kicked off and removed Gweedo from his bike.
We launched Gweedo's bike over a nearby wall.
We continued our journey to work.

Unbelievable i am afraid with that attitude he would have got a slap!....I would have pulled the wife off of him eventually but not straight away:thumb:

Tony.

Yup, I'm exactly the same.
Always wear surgical gloves when I work on the car.
I never touch the care with bare hands.
When getting in and driving, I'm always careful to use minimal contact with my hands.
The only part of the car I hold completely is the steering wheel.
Everything else gets the 1 finger treatment (ooer! lol).

You know what, I am not much different to that myself!

Call me short tempered, but if he gave me that sort of response i'd have given him a piece of my mind. You did very well in that situation, just remember every dog has his day and one day he'll do it to the wrong person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom