Cyclist with a low IQ...it doesn't end well.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone know the IQ of the cyclist?

Dryce said:
Well maybe you should ask him and find out if he's one of the few.
Why should I ask him? He did not hit by car, nor do I know him. Someone earlier stated as fact that he is uninsured, whereas that was only a guess.

There does seem alot of hatred on here and amongst other Car forums towards cyclists.

Odd that. Maybe there is a reason for this.

Most cyclists are OK. Trouble is that there are enough idiots - sometimes self-righteous and very abusive idiots - who are noticed by pedestrians and drivers for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
Maybe you've not mixed with the truly clever, they are generally thick as ****!

Then they aren't truly clever .... so I can't have mixed with them on that basis.

IMG00073.jpgIf only to take the heat out of the cyclist/ IQ spol, this Dutch guy was busy reading his GPS on the wrong side of the road. I saw him coming and slowed (to allow him to complete what I thought was an overtake) and eventually came to a complete halt, but he kept on reading and kept on coming. Luckily it was only his bike which suffered lasting harm. I was more upset that I thought I had totalled a fellow biker.

Unless it was a setup for a programme in the 'Jackass' mould, it seems to me that Occam's Razor would suggest that the cyclist suffered a lapse in concentration, that's all. Nothing to do with intelligence or the lack of it, or common sense.

It happens to all of us occasionally; "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." The difference is, mostly we get away unscathed...

What's that expression... "All the gear and no idea!"

What's that expression... "All the gear and no idea!"

Oh yes.

Couple of years ago Mrs S sitting stationary at temporary traffic lights when one of our many local MAMIL's did pretty much the same thing.

She felt & heard a solid thump and got out expecting to find a car behind had nudged. But there was no car.

Instead she found a battered cylist who had ridden into the rear end of our Land Cruiser.

Left quite a nasty mark on the spare wheel cover but not as nasty as the state of his face.

Why should I ask him? He did not hit by car, nor do I know him. Someone earlier stated as fact that he is uninsured, whereas that was only a guess.

"Someone" would be me. Do you know a cyclist who is insured in case of an RTA on the road?

On the overall scheme of things this was not too bad just a lapse of concentration by the cyclist. Its the blatant red light jumping, general disregard for the rules of the road etc etc that gets most peoples goat.

Its the blatant red light jumping, general disregard for the rules of the road etc etc that gets most peoples goat.

And disregard for the rules of the pavement and rules of the footpath.

:mad:

"Someone" would be me. Do you know a cyclist who is insured in case of an RTA on the road?

Actually , a lot are, most decent home insurance policies have this in, mine does and covers my family when out on non motorised 2 wheeled and as a member of British Cycling I am also insured.

I think it should be compulsory, like wearing helmets, but then we get into that whole debate about policing it and people not doing it, there will always be some that feel they never need or don't want to pay for it or can't afford it so don't have it...

Be thankful we're not on the continent, where in a number of countries where if you hit a cyclist regardless of fault, it's the your fault .

Unless it was a setup for a programme in the 'Jackass' mould, it seems to me that Occam's Razor would suggest that the cyclist suffered a lapse in concentration, that's all. Nothing to do with intelligence or the lack of it, or common sense.

It happens to all of us occasionally; "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." The difference is, mostly we get away unscathed...

Lapse of concentration on the road is unforgivable and the mark that you shouldn't be permitted to use it. If he'd ridden into a pedestrian would you still be so tolerant of such basic incompetence? Or would you blame the pedestrian for a lapse in their concentration (discounting that said pedestrian could be a child without a developed road sense or an OAP infirm on their feet)? Or would it by this logic be the fault of no one?
It really doesn't matter if the cyclist has the IQ of Einstein (though why his IQ is being defended escapes me) if he is incapable of arriving at his destination it counts for nothing. And that begins with the very basic act of looking where you are going. I pray that the cyclist in question is not also a motorist...

A friend of mine did exactly this getting a move on on a mountain bike and piled into the back of a parked van. Entirely his fault, and he was liable for the £1200 repair costs to the roof (back in 1993). No serious injuries, fortunately.

Cyclists who join the CTC get free third-party insurance and legal aid. Even though I don't have time to do the amount of cycling I used to in my youth (then: 10k+ miles/year, last year: perhaps 50 miles?), I maintain a family membership so that if the boy manages to ride into a Bentley I'm not liable for thousands.

Being a Car driver and a pedestrian I have a big dislike for cyclists who feel they are above the law and that RED traffic lights do not affect them... Saying that, my sons car was hit by a cyclist whilst he was parked up. total bill came to £1200 for the repairs and the cyclist paid in full.

Lapse of concentration on the road is unforgivable and the mark that you shouldn't be permitted to use it.

And for driving in such a fashion that is handled via a charge for careless or reckless driving - with associated fines, points, and possible bans.

Whereas a cyclist .......

No one knows his IQ.
No one knows if he has insurance or not.
He didn't jump a red.
He didn't hit a pedestrian.
He did hit a car.
He's only dented someone's bumper.

Every mistake should be met with a proportional response. Some members seem to be getting rather carried away with themselves.

On the overall scheme of things this was not too bad just a lapse of concentration by the cyclist. Its the blatant red light jumping, general disregard for the rules of the road etc etc that gets most peoples goat.

Just a lapse...but could have run into a mother pushing a pram as easily as a parked car.

Last edited:
Just lapse...but could have run into a mother pushing a pram as easily as a parked car.

but he didn't

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom