Cyclists - how to get a *really* tight tyre off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah OK, so you'd more likely end up with a slow puncture (as often happens with car tyres) rather than a flat.

Have to say I was shocked how thin and flexible these big tyres (Schwalbe Smart Sam 27.5x2.60) are. Tubeless ones must surely be thicker.
I recall having so called "tubular" tyres on (Campagnolo) rims in the 60s. I believe the tyres were supposed to be disposable but as a teenager with limited money, I repaired punctures. The tyre was stitched closed on the inner circumference and once we’d repaired the puncture it had to be sewn up again (with dental floss) and glued back onto the rim.:rolleyes:

As the bike was a freebie, take the wheels to a decent bike store. Ask the mechanic to fit two new quality tyres and tubes that they know will fit the rim properly. Some rim & tyre combinations are a royal pain - been there! Throw the old tyres away. There's no point in re-using them - you will simply have the same problem next time the tyres have a punture, only next time BTB junior might have a very long walk home. Make sure junior takes a spare tube with him (and tyre levers and a pump ) when he rides the bike - so many don't. Or do what has been suggested and fit tubeless - talk to the bike mechanic.

Good advice - thanks. Next job is finding a good bike mechanic as we're out in the sticks ... will do a bit of searching!

That is the problem with those country estates..... ;)

I wish! :D

The only things the villages round here have are a pub and a post box. And the pub in our village burned down 17 years ago ...

The post box is handy though :)

Found two bike companies in the area ... one mobile:

And the other in a small town about 8 miles away:

I wish! :D

The only things the villages round here have are a pub and a post box. And the pub in our village burned down 17 years ago ...

The post box is handy though :)
We have a postbox, chippy (3 days a week) and a pub. Unfortunately nobody used the pub for about 3 years because the landlords seemed to hate all their customers. :eek:

The irony is that 1 km from our tiny village there's another with the same name but prefixed with 'Little'!

Just to (hopefully) close this one out ...

I got the first company mentioned above to fit two new tubeless tyres - the mechanic said the originals were the hardest to remove they'd ever seen! Delivered back today, cleaned & checked over, gears and brakes adjusted, total bill just under £100.

Just to (hopefully) close this one out ...

I got the first company mentioned above to fit two new tubeless tyres - the mechanic said the originals were the hardest to remove they'd ever seen! Delivered back today, cleaned & checked over, gears and brakes adjusted, total bill just under £100.
Decent price.

That looks like a hard bead tyre and yes they are a tight fit. I used metal tyre levers on mine.
You could try using a towel in the jaws of a bench vice to protect the rim and carefully pealing the tyre off, start oppsite the valve.
Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom