Cylinder compression test / leakage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
Hi Guys,

I am looking at Neil's 190e 2.5-16 at present which is for sale and when reviewing the documentation I spotted some results of a cylinder leakage test or perhaps a compression test.

Results were quoted as 14%, 14%, 14% and 22%.

Does anyone know if this is good, bad or otherwise?

I read somewhere that anything above 8% requires further investigation, hence my enquiry.

As a wild guess I would think about valve clearances - the 2.3-16 and 2.5-16 models use solid lifters, which require inspection and adjustment every 12K miles or so.

What other history does the car have? Has anyone inpected the valve clearances recently?

Will :)

Some facts here: http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15274

The car looks very sharp, and goes very well. It doesn't look and go like a 16 year old car - it feels very new.

Every receipt from new by the look of it - a good inch of documents. Has been maintained by Andy Gale for much of it's life and I couldn't find much to indicate that there has been any major issues with the car.

I'm rather keen to buy it to export to Australia and am dotting the I's and crossing the T's before moving on it.

Have spoken with the people who last serviced the vehicle and they are pretty happy with it. I discussed cylinder leakage with them and they are happy to test it out for me and to provide an opinion.

Excellent - I've seen the advert, It sounds like one of the better ones. :) They are lovely cars, just require a bit of TLC every now and again to keep them sweet. Neil's one sounds good, and if you are happy with it I reckon you'll enjoy the experience!

Good luck with the decision,

Will

scotth_uk said:
Some facts here: http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15274

The car looks very sharp, and goes very well. It doesn't look and go like a 16 year old car - it feels very new.

Every receipt from new by the look of it - a good inch of documents. Has been maintained by Andy Gale for much of it's life and I couldn't find much to indicate that there has been any major issues with the car.

I'm rather keen to buy it to export to Australia and am dotting the I's and crossing the T's before moving on it.

Give Andy Gayle a ring. He's very big on leakdown tests, claims compression tests are a waste of time.

scotth_uk said:
Hi Guys,

I am looking at Neil's 190e 2.5-16 at present which is for sale and when reviewing the documentation I spotted some results of a cylinder leakage test or perhaps a compression test.

Results were quoted as 14%, 14%, 14% and 22%.

Does anyone know if this is good, bad or otherwise?

This looks like a leakdown.
The more the % loss the lower the compression and performance.

Agreed - that appears to be a leakdown result.

More interesting than the numbers themselves is the relationship between the numbers. As wear occurs obviously the leakdown numbers get higher. As long as they are all close this is not usually noticeable. The engine becomes less efficient, but stays smooth. When one cylinder wears more than the others then a roughness or unevenness may result. This might be the case when the difference is more than 5 or 10%. In this case cylinder number 4 is showing a result of more than 50% greater pressure loss. Possibly this is because it runs hotter through being at the rear of the block.

I'd get it tested again, and assessed by someoneone you trust who can explain the results to you in a way you are happy with.

Thanks for the tips gents! :)

What are the performance figures like for the 190 2.5-16?

Long story, but might well be using one while my car is in for some repairs!

GrahamC230K said:
What are the performance figures like for the 190 2.5-16?

Long story, but might well be using one while my car is in for some repairs!
0-60 in around 7 something seconds, 140MPH+ top end, and handling to die for.

FWIW I think 190E 16 valves handle better than a W202. W202 has more grip and is more refined, but you get the distinct feeling that the W201 would be quicker around a track (I'm sure I've read this somewhere before as well!)

It certainly wouldn't be a bad courtesy car! :D

Will

Will said:
0-60 in around 7 something seconds, 140MPH+ top end, and handling to die for.

FWIW I think 190E 16 valves handle better than a W202. W202 has more grip and is more refined, but you get the distinct feeling that the W201 would be quicker around a track (I'm sure I've read this somewhere before as well!)

It certainly wouldn't be a bad courtesy car! :D

Will

Cool. BHP?

I'd say somewhere around the high 190's, probably a shade more than a 230 Kompressor with about 200Kgs or so less weight! ;) :D

7Kish red line too if you need it :cool: :bannana:

Have fun,

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom