cylinder head gasket repair, cambs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonn

Looking for cylinder head gasket repair done on my 190e in or near to Cambs area.

Anyone know of an affordable one and roughly how much this would cost?

Hi Jon,

Can't say I know of anywhere personally near Cambridge, but what I would advise is this:

The cost of having the cylinder head gasket repaired will be somewhere in the region of about £500(ish) as mentioned on the other thread. This is due to the amount of labour involved in removing and refitting the head, plus the cost of new gaskets, seals, head bolts (if needed) etc.

Bearing in mind that it *could* have caused other damage as well (possibly cracked etc), and the engine has done 216K miles, it might be better to consider a replacement engine and fit that.

190s are cheap for parts now and it shouldn't be too difficult to locate a good engine.

Will

would it be cheaper to replace the engine then? or just that i would be bettr off doing that?

Hi Jon,

Basically, I think that with 216K miles and a failed head gasket, it it might be better for you long term to find another engine and do a straight swap.

It won't be all that much more expensive, and the labour to remove and refit the engine complete as opposed to stripping and rebuilding the old one would be similar.

Head gasket, maybe a skim, new seals/other gaskets, maybe timing chain, tensioner etc if not done recently, head bolts etc all add up, it could be the same cost as a better, lower mileage engine.

Will

I will probably be breaking my 190 soon.
What model is yours?

W124 engines are the same but there will be detail differences between W124 and W201 fitments

There will be plenty of W124 engines in scrap yards

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

jonn, what cc is yours?
I have a 190E 2.0 W201 manual sitting on my drive with new self levelling suspension fitted.
It needs an exhaust manifold (has a small crack in it) and a handbrake lever to go back on the road.
Come and have a look if you want and make me an offer.
I'm near Rochester, Kent.

merc technician cambridge

I know of a top ex main dealer technician , Peter Frith ,this is his number 07806 918872 ,but dont know how much he will charge

grav, mine is a 1.8 manual 1992 , would yours fit.

thanks

thanks
Best off asking Ian B Walker if the engine would fit, or finish this one with a couple of bits from yours;) This one is gold in colour and has no rust. I've spent over £300 on it so far. A few bits to finish it.

What are your seats like Graeme?

Metal frames with foam placed on top to make them more comfortable and a top cover to hold it all in place and make it look pretty;) :D

They are in good condition:rock:

thanks

Best off asking Ian B Walker if the engine would fit, or finish this one with a couple of bits from yours;) This one is gold in colour and has no rust. I've spent over £300 on it so far. A few bits to finish it.
With reference to the 1.8 M102 lump. Is it fuel injected? Greame's 2.0 lump is. So physically, yes it will fit. However if you have a carb'd 1.8 you are going to have problems. Spares for the Pierburg carb are getting hard to source and changing an injected engine to a carb version in itself creates wiring problems. It may just be a better option to buy Greame's car. Sat in the boot of his E55 is an exhaust manifold ;). Which will eventually travel back to Greame, I said eventually :D:devil:

With reference to the 1.8 M102 lump. Is it fuel injected? Greame's 2.0 lump is. So physically, yes it will fit. However if you have a carb'd 1.8 you are going to have problems. Spares for the Pierburg carb are getting hard to source and changing an injected engine to a carb version in itself creates wiring problems. It may just be a better option to buy Greame's car. Sat in the boot of his E55 is an exhaust manifold ;). Which will eventually travel back to Greame, I said eventually :D:devil:

AFAIK Ian all the 1.8 190's were injected. There may be slight differences in the ECU fuelling and the ignition mapping however.

AFAIK Ian all the 1.8 190's were injected. There may be slight differences in the ECU fuelling and the ignition mapping however.
Thanks for the info, see, I don't know everything :eek:

You have probably forgotten more than most folks know Ian.:cool: You are still dreaming about that V8 aren't you.;)

Thanks for the info, see, I don't know everything :eek:

We know.... :devil: Especially carpets....:devil:

He was complaining yesterday about my lack of sarcastic posts. Be careful what you wish for little boy...... :D

You are still dreaming about that V8 aren't you.;)
I am spoilt for choice at the moment for V8's, however two in particular have me going, again and again and again ;)

We know.... :devil: Especially carpets....:devil:

He was complaining yesterday about my lack of sarcastic posts. Be careful what you wish for little boy...... :D
Ho ho ho, good to see you back little fella, sorry fat fella. As for carpets, I have a secret weapon now, Chris the apprentice, his job to clean them now. :bannana::devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom