D / 7 Tip / Flip / Kick down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blassberg

Car
ex C320CDI, ex SLK200K, Sharing Their Saxo 1.1i !!, Her SLK200K, His ZX6R
I'm driving along in 7th.... typing a message on the forum....

no sorry....

I'm driving along in 7th or D anyway....

I tip down and 6 shows on the gear display, or
I flip down and 6 shows on the gear display, or
I kick down and D shows on the gear display.

Why is that?

Kick down is still an 'auto' function. As soon as you tip or flip (like it !) you are in manual mode.

logical - and if manual refers to hand more so

if you are in C or S. when you tip of flick, the gearbox drops one ratio and will alternate in auto mode using all gears up to the one shown. in your case 1-6 as normal auto. it wont change into 7th.

if you kickdown, it changes down to the best gear for the conditions. if you are in C it will change down one at a time, if you are in S it will change down 1, 2 or more to find the best gear for acceleration. as soons as it isnt needing the power it changes back up to whatever it gear it can use.

Yours, in M will change up or down at a predetermined rev point without you pressing anything.

if you have it in M mode however, you disable to kickdown function, so in effect the gears will remain in whichever is selected until whatever the predetermined rev low point makes it change to the next lowest gear.

on the motorway, if you want to save a tiny bit of fuel, select M and the gears doesn't change down on inclines or when you accelerate past things.

with your torque level this means you will be okay, altho it doesn,t produce kidney flattening accleration.

scumbag said:
if you are in C or S. when you tip of flick, the gearbox drops one ratio and will alternate in auto mode using all gears up to the one shown. in your case 1-6 as normal auto. it wont change into 7th.

if you have it in M mode however, you disable to kickdown function, so in effect the gears will remain in whichever is selected until whatever the predetermined rev low point makes it change to the next lowest gear.

on the motorway, if you want to save a tiny bit of fuel, select M and the gears doesn't change down on inclines or when you accelerate past things.
hi u
usual good reply ta - didn't realise the three above - will try them out

works with mine...hope it works with yours. let us know...

scumbag said:
Sorry, don't quite understand that - is there a separate M function, or does it go into M after 'tipping' down to 6th?

If it's the latter, then wouldn't really save fuel by being in 6th rather than 7th would it? Or are you saying that on inclines it might change down a couple of gears (I wouldn't have expected that at motorway speeds on our, generally slight, inclines)?

Rory said:
Sorry, don't quite understand that - is there a separate M function, or does it go into M after 'tipping' down to 6th?

If it's the latter, then wouldn't really save fuel by being in 6th rather than 7th would it? Or are you saying that on inclines it might change down a couple of gears (I wouldn't have expected that at motorway speeds on our, generally slight, inclines)?
it has 3 modes. C for comfort, and it changes up earlier and smoother uses 2nd mainly and when kick or tip down, drops one gear at a time, S for Sport where it uses first when pulling away and tends to hold the gear longer upchanging, if you kickdown it drops to the best gear for accleration, so could be 3 or so.

and M. which is for manual. On the AMG speedshift gearboxes, you left button on the back of steering wheel drops the gears, the right one ups the gears. it wont change up unless you select a gear and it drops gears auto but only at predetermined revs. If you are cruising above 50mph you can get it in 7th. If you go to M mode, when you press the throttle, it wont drop. In s or c it will drop to 6th for speeding up. unless you are doing about 68ish and dont press it too hard, then it stays in 7th. but in ebb and flow traffic it drops and changes in S or C. in m it stays in 7th until 48mph. so it acts more like a normal manual gearbox, and is thus more economical. not by much. It also removes that short delay whilst it changes.

if you have plenty of torque, then you dont need it to change down everytime you decide to pull out and pass things doing 4mph faster than your were!

and it changes down on our slight inclines if you have the cruise control on.

Thanks. Is it the fitting of paddles that adds the M mode, or do all the 7 speed boxes have it?

Rory said:
Thanks. Is it the fitting of paddles that adds the M mode, or do all the 7 speed boxes have it?
yes. Tips have just S and C

scumbag said:
if you have it in M mode however, you disable to kickdown function
kickdown still works in M, 7th. Goes to 5th.

hmmmm. doesnt on mine.

so AMG's and the normal 7G's work different.

kickdown is definately disabled on mine when M is selected on the 'box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom