D.I.Y. New Car Detail on my Hyacinth Red GLC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toobad

Car
GLC Sport X253
So I managed to deflect the hard upsell of the £400 Mercedes SupaGard paint protection treatment. It just essentially appears to be an all-over wipedown with Carlack 68 Complete Care coupled with a nicely presented bottle of Carlack Long Life Sealant for later top-ups. Hell, I can buy the "Carlack Twins" for around £30 online.

So that gave me a £400 budget to invest in some detailing kit. That has got me a DAS6 Pro+ D.A. polisher, pads, polishes, clay mitt, etc. to do my own 2-stage paint correction. And I got to improve 3 other cars by way of practice before attempting the GLC.

Mercedes clearcoat must be one of the hardest on the planet so I had to invest over 12 hours in knocking down some of the orange peel that comes free with modern water-based paints. But in the end the finish does look crisper than when it left the showroom. My budget also allowed me to treat "Red Ken" to Blackfire's Wet Ice over Fire kit. I find the flake popping ability of their Wet Diamond paint sealant topped with the warmth and depth of their Midnight Sun carnauba wax to be exactly the finish I was after.

I also debadged the rear, painted the brake calipers and coated the wheels with protectant (just the exterior black trim to do with it now). All in all a lot more satisfying than the £400 wipedown offered by the dealer. Hope you like the photos of Red Ken (named after Ken Livingstone, the left wing ex-leader of the GLC)

Thanks for looking,
Trev.

Love the new motor, a great job on that.

Blackfire gear is quality, money well spent.

Looks good but parked very close to that "wall" I feel.

Excellent job mate :thumb:

Labour of love paid off

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I do like a bit of Hyacinth!

2qsa2r4.jpg

Yes, love red cars. These look great. Hyacinth red looks much more upmarket than fire opal red, which isn't even metallic.

Car looks mint:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom