D.t.s surround sound.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Webby

Car
E220cdi Elegance facelift
I have a Toshiba 36" t.v. with Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound.
My son has Panasonic32" with Nicam but bought a Home cinema sysytem with d.t.s. which is fantastic. I want to get d.t.s. but don't want to have to buy a Home theatre system, as I already have the speakers etc. with my existing setup and what's more,I don't want to have an extra Bass/woofer speaker.(Wife not too keen on all those "boxes").What I want to know is, is there a possibility of buying a dvd player with built in d.t.s.decoder, preferably Toshiba so that I can use the same remote.I've searched for one and can find a Toshiba but some retailers quote them as having built in d.t.s. decoder, when other describe the same model as being dts compatible.Does any manufacturer do a dvd with built in dts decoder? Hope one of you "boffins" can suggest a solution. :)

My Sony does - but it was part of a home cinema package. Worth looking at other Sony DVD's though.

On the sub question though - I may be missing something here - but without a sub - surely even with dts you're never going to get the full depth of sound? It's the sub that gives the base and makes all the difference.

I have a sub on my PC speakers - they're only wee ones - but the quality overall is amazing - and all coz the sub gives that depth. It's also the sub that gives the vibration which is also part of the overall effect.

so imho - without a sub - you're missing a really important element.

agree with Pammy about the sub issue - you need one!!

most DVD players are DTS compatible now and a quick browse on Toshiba's website confirms they do offer these also! - you say you have a 5.1 system - the .1 bit always refers to the subwoofer unless I'm very much mistaken....3 front speaker(left, right centre) 2 rear speakers and a sub.

So do you have a sub or not?!!

Pam, I think it's built into the set. Says in the book central speaker built in. don't know if this is the same thing. :confused:

no it's not. The sub is a fairly big box that sits on the floor. The central one built into the tele will be the standard frontal speaker coz thats where it has to be. The sub can go anywhere.

If you have four normal looking speakers - all look the same - they are your right/left front/rear. The other will either look like a speaker and be your front centre - or be boxy and be your sub.

Andy's right - the 5.1 is five speakers and a sub, and also dts is fairly standard now, and just done a quick check - even my little cheapo Matsui dvd that I have on my kitchen is dts compatible being able to take 5.1 speakers too.

edited - thinking about this more - just what speakers etc do you have with your current tele - coz if it's all built in and you already have a sub - which you might - I wonder if you're settings are just not right - or if the amp output from the tele/dvd is just not enough to give you the effect your son's unit has. Mine is a top range Sony unit bought for the very reason it has high output.

Last edited:
Much as it really hurts me to agree with Pammy, she is spot on, you gotta get a Sub, mine is a 180watt Yamaha active, and its brill. Try one in a shop without the sub, and listen to the same piece with a sub, even the wife will have to agree its better.

Fido - do you have the model number - I can look it up and see if I can work out what it might have with it.

edited - have a look at this:

sd-44hk.jpg

the four smaller speakers are the front/rear right/left ones. The one sitting on the dvd is the central one that from what you say is built into your tv. The last one is the sub. That'll give you an idea of what you're looking at.

hth

Last edited:
Gone to look for handbook and model number. Have 4 speakers,all the same size (small) and just the t.v.

In that case you don't have a sub - and that's what you need. It's like having cappuccino without the froth or alcohol free beer - you've only got the bare bones and you need that one extra touch ;)

Getting a dts player won't make the difference - the sub will :D

Pietre said:
Much as it really hurts me to agree with Pammy, she is spot on, you gotta get a Sub, mine is a 180watt Yamaha active, and its brill. Try one in a shop without the sub, and listen to the same piece with a sub, even the wife will have to agree its better.

Absolutely agree (the sub part, not the Pammy part) Don't skimp on Subwoofer. Even 120w will make a big difference. You can stick it behind the sofa out of sight without affecting the sound.

DTS= boxes, because DTS means 6.1 or 7.1. that's going to be 7 or 8 speakers. .

If you have a 5.1 system (even with the sub, let alone without) then a DTS decoder or player isn't going to make a huge difference because you don't have the speakers. Even with a Discrete 6.1 system you have to factor in the problem that practically all discs are 5.1 format presently.

I have a Discrete 6.1 system - DTS ES/EX (7 speakers), drool, but haven't really had the benefit yet 'cos all my discs are 5.1 and it may be some time yet before 6.1 or 7.1 is seen on many releases.

I would suggest the DVD player is the least important part. Speakers first, then the receiver/amp.

Youv'e all thrown a new light on things :confused: Where would this sub connect? There's only connections for the four speakers :( Model is Toshiba 36zp18p.Going to start a trawl of the net.

Just looked up a review on Electrical Discount uk. quotes built-in sub woofer :confused: I'm sure dts compatible when shown against various dvds is not the same as buil-in dts decoder. :(

fido said:
Youv'e all thrown a new light on things :confused: Where would this sub connect? There's only connections for the four speakers :( Model is Toshiba 36zp18p.Going to start a trawl of the net.

Sub connects to amp. It should be labelled as Sub. It may different to normal speaker connectors by having a single phone-type plug rather than the usual twin-wire.

You are right, compatible does not mean built-in.

Details of my telly.

• 86cm Flat Face Widescreen

• Dolby Digital

• Nicam Stereo

• 100Hz Digital Scanning

• Digital Comb Filter

• Built-in Sub-Woofer

• Colour Detail Enhancer

• Icon On-Screen Display

• 128 Page Fastext

• QuickView

• 68w RMS Audio Output

• 3 x SCART Connections

• Optical & Co-Axial Digital Connection

• S-Video Input

• Front AV Input

• RGB (Via SCART)

• Digital Noise Reduction

• Auto Tuning

• Panel Lock

• On/Off Timer

• Headphone Socket

yup - just found it does have a built in sub. My guess would be that that is still where your problem is. A sub needs to go on the floor for best effect - and if it's built into the tele - it won't be a very powerful one.

If I was you - I'd look to get a full seperate system and just forget the stuff that's built in to the TV. You can get a reasonable home system for well under £300. For example:
here

You can get them for much less too.

pammy said:
...If I was you - I'd look to get a full seperate system and just forget the stuff that's built in to the TV. You can get a reasonable home system for well under £300...

Spot on. That way you can go to a higher spec amp, and buy the centre rear etc later on.

The only downside to separates is having extra remotes, but if you stick to one brand then they will often work each other's basic functions.

Thanks folks, excellent response, very grateful. Don't think I can get away with a new system though. Wifey doesn't see any point, in fact I get a job to convince her there's any difference in the sound with the present system.
Must find a solution to this problem (by stealth if neccessary). :rolleyes:

fido said:
Thanks folks, excellent response, very grateful. Don't think I can get away with a new system though. Wifey doesn't see any point, in fact I get a job to convince her there's any difference in the sound with the present system.
Must find a solution to this problem (by stealth if neccessary). :rolleyes:

try using a damaged dvd - and tell her the optical eye's gone - very expensive to repair - might as well replace ;) :p

I have a Toshiba TV with built in sub, the problem with them is you need to crank up the volume to get a reasonable sound. Base tones require a lot of air to make it work, thats why car systems seem very loud outside the car, the base needs the air movement and to get that, it needs to be driven by increasing the volume. Problem is the neighbours :( , unless you live in a detached :D

Very naughty Pammy, wouldn't dreamn of doing that :rolleyes: Just tried my son's Blade 2 (dts)disc.when I choose dts on the dvd menu, result nop sound.Choosing dolby digital5:1 sound reappears. Jacked up my sub-woofer to 85%, better but as Geoff2 said need sound volume up high.Almost tempted to get a dvd with dts decoder, if only I could be sure the one I pick has the decoder built in.Preferably Toshiba so I can utilise present remote.The model if found on the net is listed as having a built-in on one store's listing but the exact same model on a different site say dts compatible. :confused: No good going to Comet or similar and asking as they'll tel me anything i want to hear, even if they know no different.The thing is, when you hear this dts at it's best it's outstanding. when a door shuts on screen, you lok around thinking someone's entering the room. When bullets fly you duck. The quest continues. :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom