D2B converter? How to remove a fibre optic loop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mb240

Car
W208 CLK55 AMG
I have a Becker Cascade headunit. I previously posted that it stops working after an hour and doesn't come on or off with ignition like the factory Audio 10 did. It also had a factory CD changer installed and has the D2B fibre optic connection in the dash.

The Becker shuts itself off after an hour, as it is not getting the D2B signal, or rather - the car is not getting the Audio 10 signal and shuts off the 12V power "okay", so the Becker keeps going on it's own (the power is connected there) and shuts down after an hour (a battery saving feature of Beckers).

I have looked at some length for a solution and am at a bit of a loss:

1. Is there an adaptor to convert the D2B signal to something the Becker can read? There doesn't seem to be, and the Dension Gateway 500 type adaptors don't add anything "through" to give a CANBUS signal for power up,etc., .

2. If there is no adaptor (and there doesn't seem to be) is it possible to tell the CANBUS in the car that there is no longer any CD changer present and so just cut that bit of the loop out, disabling the CANBUS from interfering with the power

3. If the D2B in the headunit area is "removed" from the network, will the whole ISO stuff for power be disconnected as well

4. I will consider changing to a different head unit, although I like the discrete nature of the Becker. However, besides switching to an old version of COMAND and losing out on things I have (voice control, bluetooth phone), what are the alternatives and will I end up with the same problem anyway?

5. Am I stuck with using quite old MB official headunits (COMAND or otherwise) to get consistent power from the ISO cable just because of this D2B connection not being connected?

On the dash display, the Audio section just says "Audio --". I am thinking that removing the Audio section from the D2B loop altogether in some magical diagnostics/onboard bootup or setup (that I don't even know exists!) and stop CANBUS from seeing it, that the problem might go away.I have no steering wheel controls as it stands and can live without them (and have done for a good while!).

I have fitted a CANBUS adaptor but of course it doesn't work. There are two vacant CANBUS high and low wires that have nothing from the car going into them. Are these anywhere else?

Can anybody help????!!!??

Last edited:
The D2B fibre is there for the OEM cd-changer, OEM phone and OEM linguatronic only.

You should remove the fibre from your investigations as it was only there if any of the above options were installed from the factory - it plays no part in the problems you are experiencing.

Peter,

You may have or rather you must have to use the star/das to activate
your Becker.. it tell the ECU about the D2B, what is what and in what order 1st, 2cont..etc also can run a check up.. talk to you local MB Stealer

The CANbus is used to feed the ignition, lights, speed signal and other info (such as steering wheel button presses) to the Audio-10. It is also used for the Audio-10 to display stuff on the instrument cluster. -

The D2B bus is purely an audio transport / control bus for CD changer, voice recognition, integrated phone, and other audio related components. As your unit has no D2B, you can ignore it completely - of course your factory CDC cant function without it.

The Mercedes DIN power connector (depending on model year) has no switched ignition feed (or lights, speed signal) and thus the becker does not know when the car is turned on or off. You may find lights signal missing also

I think if you find a switched ignition feed and connect it up appropriately and your unit will turn on/off with ignition.

What canbus adapter have you fitted. CANbus for the car is on the C connector (the one that won't plug into your new unit) - but in theory there are canbus adapters that feed signals into the canbus, and some that read the canbus for steering wheel controls (head unit dependant), and some that make a CANbus for cars without CANbus

You can not get anything on the centre dash display without a unit that understands Mercedes - and I think that basically means a mercedes unit
(unless your CANbus adapter does some magic. which is part of the reason i'm asking what it is)

R

The CANbus is used to feed the ignition, lights, speed signal and other info (such as steering wheel button presses) to the Audio-10. It is also used for the Audio-10 to display stuff on the instrument cluster. -

The D2B bus is purely an audio transport / control bus for CD changer, voice recognition, integrated phone, and other audio related components. As your unit has no D2B, you can ignore it completely - of course your factory CDC cant function without it.

The Mercedes DIN power connector (depending on model year) has no switched ignition feed (or lights, speed signal) and thus the becker does not know when the car is turned on or off. You may find lights signal missing also

I think if you find a switched ignition feed and connect it up appropriately and your unit will turn on/off with ignition.

What canbus adapter have you fitted. CANbus for the car is on the C connector (the one that won't plug into your new unit) - but in theory there are canbus adapters that feed signals into the canbus, and some that read the canbus for steering wheel controls (head unit dependant), and some that make a CANbus for cars without CANbus

You can not get anything on the centre dash display without a unit that understands Mercedes - and I think that basically means a mercedes unit
(unless your CANbus adapter does some magic. which is part of the reason i'm asking what it is)

R

Thank you - I thought that the D2B carried the CANBus signal hence I was looking for something to hook it up to. Now I can ignore it. I have already dumped the stock CD changer.

Also, thank you for explaining that the MB connector has no switched ignition feed, it was driving me nuts. I don't know where to get such a power source, perhaps the gearbox?

The CANbus adaptor is by Dietz. I never hooked it up until yesterday (after 18 months!) as I am planning on adding a few things like amp, ipod etc., so left it with the lack of switched ignition for a long time.

The CANbus adaptor has four sockets/connectors: one is a ten pin ISO connector (looks like the one Connector C in Audio 10), there are two 8-pin ones that fit the Becker (one takes the power/ignition/speedpulse/aerial connector from the MB, the other then goes to the Becker) and then a final small one that goes to the CD changer port.

At the moment, the ten pin ISO connector has two wires coming out of it to the CANbus adaptor box which then sends some more wires back to the 8-pin connector, but I have nothing plugged into it.

I think that there was a third MB connection that would fit this somewhere behind the stereo, but I didn't find it in a quick check last night. There must have been something plugged in to the the 10 pin port on the Audio 10 so this must be the CANbus signal I am looking for.

Does anyone know or have a pin diagram for Audio 10's 10-pin connector C?

Progress!

I subscribed to alldatadiy.com and they ahve full wiring diagrams for everything in the car. Connector C Pins 1 and 2 are CANbus high and low respectively, and those are exactly the ones on the empty 10 pin Dietz adaptor. The adaptor looks like it takes this signal and then sends the proper signals back out to the Connecter A adaptor.

When I get home, I'll see if I can get the Connector C from behind the headunit, it must be there somewhere.

The D2B fibre is there for the OEM cd-changer, OEM phone and OEM linguatronic only.

You should remove the fibre from your investigations as it was only there if any of the above options were installed from the factory - it plays no part in the problems you are experiencing.
What about the fibre from the head unit?
I like many others are falling at the hurdle of installing an aftermarket Android 13 head unit but the D2B is tripping me up I can only make it work using the original NTG 2.0 and factory CD changer.
I am really pulling my hair out and zi don’t have much left now. I can’t seem to get a D2B wake up signal without the original head unit?
Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom