D2B, MOST, Canbus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ted

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RC300h F-Sport, Yamaha XVS 1100, Toyota C-HR GR sport
I hear of these being talked about all of the time, and I really don't know what they are apart from guessing that they are all optical multiplexed busses.

So
What are they?
What do they relate to? - ICE? Signal aquisition?
What is the difference? is it by year?
Do other cars have them?

And what would my 2001 W208 have?

Thank you for any help.

In layman's terms (which I am) D2b is the fibre optic ring through which your electronics - Comand CD changer TV Tuner and telephone (Mercedes) work. It is related to the year of manufacture and was fitted to Mercs up to 2004. MOST is the later system fitted to cars from about mid 2004 and cars with MOST have a slightly different Comand system with a wider screen.
Comand systems from earlier cars with D2b are not compatible with later cars fitted with MOST.
Your car being a CLK 320 will be a W208 fitted with D2b. Other cars do have these electronic systems as I know our Volvo has MOST.
I know less about Can Bus but I understand it is part of the system and it "sleeps and wakes up" Hehe!
Pardon my lack of expertise and layman's language but I am very interested in my Mercedes' electronics and have quite a few options fitted to my car so what I know I have picked up by asking questions and reading up. I think Can Bus refers to a complex wiring system used in car electronics and provides the interface through which electronic devices or options are connected.

My knowledge of car electronics is similar to what I know about car engines. I know what ABS SBC ECU MOST ANY ETC mean and what they are supposed to do. Heck I also know when they fail and what elements can be repaired or changed. But put a screw driver in my hand and ask me to fix it!!??}~*`¬"?? Highly unlikely.

Are you trying to fit something to your car or just updating your knowledge?
Your number of posts suggests you are quite familiar with the forum. Do a search on the electronics forum and there is a wealth of information and experts like Alfie and Richard with lots more knowledge that I can start to lay claim to. Good luck.

I hear of these being talked about all of the time, and I really don't know what they are apart from guessing that they are all optical multiplexed busses.
CAN bus isn't actually optical, it is using twisted pair copper for transfer media. The architecture is star instead of ring (like D2B and MOST fibre have). The car would typically have several different CAN buses, engine, interior etc. These are usually interconnected via specific control units.

Thank you Vibesg - I am just trying to update my knowledge.
Still trying to get my head around CANBUS.
I feel a google search coming on.......

Edit: Wihipedia is my friend :)

Last edited:
So would it be save to assume that the SAMs communicate via the CANBUS?

Interesting.

I too am trying to understand how these things fit together.

But can anyone tell me what system is fitted to my '98 model E320? TIA
:wallbash:
It has Radio*/Cassette, Bose, CD changer, even a MB Phone the size of a house brick, but not Sat Nav and no buttons on the steering.

* with short wave (chocolate teapot) and long wave for the cricket :cool:

Interesting.

I too am trying to understand how these things fit together.

But can anyone tell me what system is fitted to my '98 model E320? TIA
:wallbash:
It has Radio*/Cassette, Bose, CD changer, even a MB Phone the size of a house brick, but not Sat Nav and no buttons on the steering.

* with short wave (chocolate teapot) and long wave for the cricket :cool:

I don't think it has any fibre but it should have at least the engine CAN bus and the interior CAN bus.

hi guys
like others i am trying to get my head round all of these systems and struggling lol. (hey its my first merc lol).
NOw i have seen a good post about retro fitting comand into my car, which is what i would like to do. now i have an e320 v6. what i would like to know is can i retro fit it and the multi stearing wheel as well. any help would be great.

thanks for the link grober, but perhaps im being dense or i am just not getting what you are saying.
the most technical car i have owned is an omega. so these mercs are way above that.
The link you provided is for a w211 and not a w210 which is why im getting confused.

thanks for the link grober, but perhaps im being dense or i am just not getting what you are saying.
the most technical car i have owned is an omega. so these mercs are way above that.
The link you provided is for a w211 and not a w210 which is why im getting confused.

The article was intended as an introductory overview to these systems rather than to answer a specific query. This site may or may not be of help for you also. Retrofitiing COMAND to Mercedes Benz Vehicles

These guys are the experts. http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-offers-traders/70117-comand-europe-ltd.html

cheers npuk. Just want to find out exactly what i can retro fit into my w210 now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom