DAB and TV

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Shadow81, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Shadow81

Shadow81 Member

Car:
    2007 C220 CDI Elegance (W204)
    Hi all,

I have just received my first Merc, and am over the moon with it. The dealer, however, seemed to have no idea about the extras it had. They advised me that it did not have DAB, and that it would cost £1500 - £2000 to add on. They also told me it did not have a speed limiter, only cruise control (I said this was one of the features I would be saddest to see go when upgrading from a Pug 307) - and it turns out it does...

It is a 2007 C220 CDI Elegance (W204).

Whilst I was researching DAB (as I did want this, just not for the price quoted) I remember reading something on a forum about how DAB and TV were the same thing in terms of parts/retrofitting or something to that effect. I cannot quite remember exactly what it said, so I would like to know whether I have to really spend £900 on the tuner or whether just some additional wiring/coding could provide me with TV functionality?

Comand Online were fantastic by the way, they were the ones who confirmed I actually had DAB - I had been told by TWO dealerships that I didn't, and that the DAB option was just generic, but as I got "No Signal" it meant it wasn't installed. Comand Online looked up my VIN and told me it was definitely there!

Next question is there is an option on DAB settings - a tickbox that says TA. Does anyone know what this means? I think it may be Traffic Alerts, but with it enabled I do not receive any alerts, so am wondering if it could be something else?

Final question I have is not relevent for this forum but it would save me posting twice if someone knows the answer?

My car came with 16" alloys, and I dont like the size of the tyres on these wheels... I woud like to upgrade the wheels to 17" with lower profile tyres. I have found some nice Mercedes wheels that I am interested in:

Mercedes alloy wheels | Genuine new 17" Mercedes 7 twin spoke | fits Mercedes C Class Saloon W204 | Alloy Wheels Direct Ltd

Would the car need programming to tell it I had these wheels fitted? Even if "I can get away without it as the circumference will be about the same" I would like it done if there is a way to actually tell it the exact size so it is done properly. But if it can only be coded to tell it the outer diameter in the case of upsizing wheels then there is no point (I hope this makes sense?!?!).

Thank you all in advance.

2. npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180 CDI Avantgarde SE (2008)
  3. davidjpowell

davidjpowell MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    TA is usually Traffic Alerts. Personally I can't abide it. IT's always local traffic presenters talking about local roads, that I don't recognise and who 'forget' to turn off the Traffic Signal.

Sally Traffic is much more informative...

I've never heard of STAR being coded on wheel width, but you never know.

4. OP
    OP
    Shadow81

Shadow81 Member

Car:
    2007 C220 CDI Elegance (W204)
    Hi, thanks for the quick replies. I thought the wheels might need coding in order to keep the speedo accurate, which is why even a minor difference and I would have wanted it done, but if it does not need it then that saves me a few quid :)

Yeah, I had seen that tuner on Comand Online, but don't have the money yet, the wheels are a more important purchase to me at the moment :)

Tags: