DAB Digital Radio Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Khamen, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Khamen

Khamen Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 AMG Coupe
    It seems a bit odd to me that M-B stick radios in new SLs that do not have DAB as standard. My old C Class had it, so why is it a cost extra on a more expensive "flagship" model?

Anyway rant over. My SL does not have DAB, therefore I need to look for alternatives if I want to listen to Test Match Special this summer. Options appear to be:

1. Buy a portable DAB radio and plug it in to the media interface Aux port in the car. This would seem easy, but means iPod cannot be connected at the same time. IPod could potentially be rigged to charge via the USB port and connect to the car via bluetooth maybe if a portable DAB unit is in the Aux

2. Use a phone for internet radio via bluetooth. I am having real issues working out how to set up a Windows smartphone (Nokia 925)to work with the M-B COMAND system. Has anyone had any joy setting this up?

Would be interested to hear how others who use DAB have got round the lack of digital radio reception in the standard COMAN package on some model lines

Cheers
    K

2. richard

richard Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    MY04 SL55, MY17 GLC250d AMG Sport
    Alternative 3: Retrofit DAB system (but its £££ as the tuner is over £700 and more parts needed).

3. c63chris

c63chris Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL63 + W205 C220d
    That is odd, it's standard fit on new A class as well, surprised it's not on the SL? Are you sure it isn't, thought it wasn't on mine to start with as it came up on FM and I didn't spot the DAB option initially.

4. OP
    OP
    Khamen

Car:
    C63 AMG Coupe
    It's a £250+ option on the SL, which I did find equally surprising. It may become standard "soon" I understand, but it ain't on mine :(

K

5. OP
    OP
    Khamen

Car:
    C63 AMG Coupe
    I enquired about retro-fitting the whole Harman Kardon package, and was told not to even consider it. Apparently the sound system that is a £1200-ish option when spec'd on a new car is around £5k (!) to retro-fit :eek:

K

6. Idracab

Idracab Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes C32 AMG
    I have just had fitted the Alpine Ezi Dab, it been connected into the aux but also has a USB with extension cable. I have plugged my iPhone in to this and not only does it charge but also you can control the iPhone with the Alpine controller. Dab works well when I have reception. I had the Alpine arial fitted but reception seems poor and I'm in London. Does any one else have reception issues?

The Alpine is available for £133 on the net

1 person likes this.
  7. Alfie

Alfie Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    W169 A class (loaded)
    HK is less than that to retrofit. Its between £2500 - £3500 depending on the car/model.

It costs so much because the 10 speakers all need replacing and these are expensive ITs very time consuming installing the amp and all the looms.

1 person likes this.
  8. baxlin

baxlin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo C70 and JZR 3 wheeler
    I had a PURE Highway DAB converter in a previous car, worked very well, but I couldn't stand all the extra wires, for the separate aerial etc, even though I semi hardwired the unit itself.

Not bothered with it in subsequent cars, but it's an option if trailing wires don't bother you...........

9. rw.perkins

rw.perkins Member

Car:
    C220 AMG Sport Estate
  10. baxlin

baxlin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo C70 and JZR 3 wheeler
  11. rw.perkins

rw.perkins Member

Car:
    C220 AMG Sport Estate