DAB radio in 2014 SLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did you completely remove the dash cam right back to where the power for it is taken from the cars existing loom?

Hi Alfie
Tonight I removed the dash cam, disconnected the power source and on the journey home it was better through the usual problem areas, but not perfect. Tomorrow I will run the dash cam from it's own battery power source and see what the results are. Shame though if it does come down to a choice of dash cam or DAB :(

I'm thinking of trying an additional DAB aerial plugged in to the DAB unit in the boot. Does anyone know if it requires a powered aerial or not?
Thanks in advance

There is a spare DAB aerial port on the DAB unit in the boot.Does anyone know if the unit requires the aerial to have it's own power source or not?

Did you completely remove the dash cam right back to where the power for it is taken from the cars existing loom?

Hi Alfie & thanks for your help on this. Just to summarise where I am up to following your suggestions.
1. I removed the power lead from the dash cam end, removed the dash cam. The result was an improvement in an area where I had always lost the signal.
2. I then ran the dash cam under its own battery power, which gave slightly less improvement in the same location, although it was better.
3. The plan tonight is to remove the fuse from the supply so no live cable is in proximity of the windscreen and try that.

I understand there is a spare aerial input on the DAB tuner so wondered if;
1. I could fit a second aerial that would mean I could still use the dash cam and not have to rely on the windscreen aerial?
2. If so does it need to be a powered aerial?
3. Is there an aerial that could be fitted to the inside of the boot lid (no drilling) that would do the job?
4. If so do you supply such aerials?
Apologies for all the questions!

Hi Alfie & thanks for your help on this. Just to summarise where I am up to following your suggestions.
1. I removed the power lead from the dash cam end, removed the dash cam. The result was an improvement in an area where I had always lost the signal.
2. I then ran the dash cam under its own battery power, which gave slightly less improvement in the same location, although it was better.
3. The plan tonight is to remove the fuse from the supply so no live cable is in proximity of the windscreen and try that.

I understand there is a spare aerial input on the DAB tuner so wondered if;
1. I could fit a second aerial that would mean I could still use the dash cam and not have to rely on the windscreen aerial?
2. If so does it need to be a powered aerial?
3. Is there an aerial that could be fitted to the inside of the boot lid (no drilling) that would do the job?
4. If so do you supply such aerials?
Apologies for all the questions!

The spare aerial ports on the tuner are, I believe for DAB Band L which isnt used in the UK.

I would see what happens when you completely remove the power source to the dash cam. My bet there is a usb to 12v converter in there somewhere causing this.

The spare aerial ports on the tuner are, I believe for DAB Band L which isnt used in the UK.

I would see what happens when you completely remove the power source to the dash cam. My bet there is a usb to 12v converter in there somewhere causing this.

Hi Alfie

Okay, removed the power supply to the dash cam from the fuse board, but the result was the same as just removing the dash cam but leaving the wiring untouched. So it suggests that the live wiring is not the issue unless connected to the dash cam.
The dash cam works on battery power reasonably okay in respect of DAB interference. It seems to be a problem is when running from the power source.

Other than using a different Aerial in the DAB tuner box, or living without a dash cam, not sure what other options I have :(

Hi Alfie

Okay, removed the power supply to the dash cam from the fuse board, but the result was the same as just removing the dash cam but leaving the wiring untouched. So it suggests that the live wiring is not the issue unless connected to the dash cam.
The dash cam works on battery power reasonably okay in respect of DAB interference. It seems to be a problem is when running from the power source.

Other than using a different Aerial in the DAB tuner box, or living without a dash cam, not sure what other options I have :(

Is the dash cam powered from USB ? If so, get a better USB converter, run it from the wires to the cigarette lighter (start with it plugged into that, and then hard-wire it later) in the front and route the power lead the other way round the windscreen. (I.e you eliminated 3 of the possible sources of noise - noise still sound be coming from something in the dash cam of course).

Richard

Is the dash cam powered from USB ? If so, get a better USB converter, run it from the wires to the cigarette lighter (start with it plugged into that, and then hard-wire it later) in the front and route the power lead the other way round the windscreen. (I.e you eliminated 3 of the possible sources of noise - noise still sound be coming from something in the dash cam of course).

Richard

I have a spare one of these.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Cables/Cable-Cylinder-Suppressor-Ferrite-Filter/B00MJUAKN6

Wonder if that might help?

I connected to the DAB unit.

Mine is in the footwell so put it in the windscreen.

But there is no need to ground that aerial so could go in bumper or where you want really.

I connected to the DAB unit.

Mine is in the footwell so put it in the windscreen.

But there is no need to ground that aerial so could go in bumper or where you want really.

What about your FM/AM reception. I thought the factory fitted antenna had a splitter to serve those stations as well?

That is still in the head unit. Doesn't effect FM/AM, I am just plugging a new aerial into the dab.

Hey?

Your FM antenna plugs into the head unit and goes into a splitter.
Your Factory dab antenna plugs into the dab unit and goes into the splitter too.

All you are doing is unplugging the cable that is in your dab unit now and plugging the new one in its place. You don't touch the FM side of things.

The splitter allows the unit to share the aerial, that's all.

Hey?

Your FM antenna plugs into the head unit and goes into a splitter.
Your Factory dab antenna plugs into the dab unit and goes into the splitter too.

All you are doing is unplugging the cable that is in your dab unit now and plugging the new one in its place. You don't touch the FM side of things.

The splitter allows the unit to share the aerial, that's all.

Sorry my mis-understanding. Will give that a go.
Cheers again

Those aerials are designed to be vertical, that is why you run it up a window.
Not sure if in the bumper it would be anywhere near as good.

Could you not run it in your windscreen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom