DAB radio reception

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew CLS

Car
GLE Coupe 350d AMG Line
I have continual problems with DAB reception cutting out especially on my daily commute along the M55, M6, M61 and M65. My previous car, Volvo XC60, and my wife's Mini Countryman had/have no such issues, this leads me to believing that it is an issue with my car and not the DAB broadcast.

Mercedes diagnostics can find no fault and there are seemingly no recorded ongoing problems on their technical database, are other Mercedes drives suffering as well as me?

I have the same problem with my DAB. Stations keep cutting out that were fine in my XF so it has to be the radio - is the any point taking it to the dealer ? The car is a E350 Coupe - 4 months old

it has to be the radio - is the any point taking it to the dealer ? The car is a E350 Coupe - 4 months old

I had considered DAB to be a priority in my next MB but maybe not now.

occassionally some problems with a Pure Highway set up with internal aerial

also the TA anouncements are very hit and miss especially after my last service a week ago now only getting classic and heart announcements used to get all the local bbc stations and a few others

I have asked my dealer to raise a technical query with MBUK, I will keep you posted of any progress made.

I have had my car in and out of the dealers with this problem. My previous Audi A4 (B8) had DAB and no problems with reception at all.The Merc is a nightmare. The dealer says there are no issues and it should work fine. I think it is something to do with the aerial and intend, when I get time, to go to an auto electrician dealing in car radio to give a second opinion.

A technician at my dealer advised me to select "Station fix" from the Radio menu. This has made an improvement but it is still not perfect, I suggest others experiencing the same problems give it a go.

Got DAB in both W124's. Wife's reception is better than mine, both internal windscreen aerials but different brands.

I suspect your volvo's aerial was better placed/quality than your Mercs, and hence the reception difference. Its all down to the aerial and how its done/what type it is. Probably 2 completely different setips between the cars hence the difference you see.

SilverSaloon, you may be right, but it is reasonable to expect that when you spend this much the aerial should be good enough and certainly as good as a Volvo and a Mini costing £30k less.

Same problem with mine-dealer says no problems and not helpful.
My daughter has a Focus Reception great both in same area!
So it must be MERCEDES

I have continual problems with DAB reception cutting out especially on my daily commute along the M55, M6, M61 and M65. My previous car, Volvo XC60, and my wife's Mini Countryman had/have no such issues, this leads me to believing that it is an issue with my car and not the DAB broadcast.

Mercedes diagnostics can find no fault and there are seemingly no recorded ongoing problems on their technical database, are other Mercedes drives suffering as well as me?

Interesting this as I have had 2 MB DAB systems in succession. First was through the standard Audio 20 / Becker system and the DAB was amazing with near perfect reception.

Current setup is through COMAND and it's totally unacceptable. I plan a visit to MB soon too.

Not happy and it must be the DAB module in COMAND? :(

A technician at my dealer advised me to select "Station fix" from the Radio menu. This has made an improvement but it is still not perfect, I suggest others experiencing the same problems give it a go.

Agreed this is slightly better but its a poor signal problem caused by the car and not the area.

Just bought my wife a new ML63 AMG DAB is terrible in and out all the time

My Audi A8 is faultless

This I'd a MB problem

My CLS is fairly poor, but my new SLK is much better and gives reception in most of the areas that the CLS struggles with.

RR

My ML is fine but always cuts out at the same point in the road for 2 secs must be a black spot.

Not happy and it must be the DAB module in COMAND? :(

THe DAB module is separate to the COMAND/Audio-20

However, the system changed in MY2012 (facelift) from one tuner (DAB only, NTG4) to a new tuner (DAB/DAB+/DMB dual tuner, NTG4.5).

W166 ML is NTG4.5

BUT, the general opinion is the older tuner is better at picking up signals than the newer one ..

Richard

Hi, I took delivery of my new C class coupe just before Christmas. DAB reception is important to me and its appalling in the new car. Reception in my previous Audi was good in all but fringe reception areas. I took the car back to the dealer and they said it was working fine but then booked it in for further examination when I assured them it was not!
It went in for a couple of days during which time they lent me a new E class saloon. Dab reception in the E class was as good as my Audi.
The dealer agreed there was a problem after a road test and had to seek advice from Mercedes Technical. The car was booked in again a week later (yesterday). They lent me a different new E Class. The DAB in this vehicle is awful, probably worse than mine. Totally un-listenable. Mercedes do appear to have DAB issues even when comparing like for like cars.
On the advice of Mercedes Technical they have tried several things and have now ordered a replacement roof antenna which they are fitting tomorrow. I will let you know the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom