DAB radio reception

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On the advice of Mercedes Technical they have tried several things and have now ordered a replacement roof antenna which they are fitting tomorrow. I will let you know the outcome.

Sadly this is likely to do nothing. This is because the roof antenna is for L Band DAB (and the windscreen antenna is for Band III.

All UK transmissions are on Band III.

Do you have any chargers plugged in or wired into the cigarette lighters? (such as a speed camera detector USB thing, or tom-tom power supply etc)

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard, thanks for your reply. You are correct, changing the roof fin did nothing. They have now ordered a replacement cable to go from the the Tuner to the antenna. I did mention that I thought there was a second antenna in the glass but was informed that was for FM only. Incidently FM reception is fine.
I have a USB stick plugged in with MP3's on it and an MB fitted phone holder/charger in the centre counsol but no other chargers.

Tom

Oh they are incompetent.

You could tell them

"The roof antenna is for DAB Band L. There is no Band L transmission in UK. A94/1 is the Band III antenna amplifier on the CLC which is on the left C pillar. All UK DAB transmission is on Band III. TV is also on Band III (so the antenna wire in the screen is the same length), which is why in the circuit diagram it is noted as, and can be used as the TV 1 amp. If they refer to WIS document "ar82.62-p-8300ec" they will see how to remove it."

I *also* think that in fact that Mercedes may not even be fitting the Band L wiring and roof antenna, so they may well be looking really in the wrong place. They've dropped Band L antenna on a lot of cars.

I'm not saying that this will fix the problem, but they are looking at the wrong thing.

What is the MB fitted phone thing ?

Richard

Thanks Richard, will have a go. Its a C class coupe not a CLC by the way.The published info on it that I can find says the 'radio' aerial is in the rear side windows but it does not mention the band. The cradle is to charge my Iphone and boost the GSM signal using the roof antenna. I am almost ready to give up on the garage and find a portable to plug in the aux audio input!
Tom

I have a week old E class, and the DAB is also unlistenable. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this yet?

If not does anyone know if the aerial connection is standard for the DAB? I am considering adding a glass mounted DAB aerial on the rear window as an option?

I have had DAB is Seat, Lexus, Subaru, Toyota and Mitsubishi and never had a problem with reception.

My DAB wont work when you switch the car on? You have to change station to get any sound? This is through an Audio 20 DAB radio and not Command. When it is going the reception is good enough.

Mine does exactly that, turn it on, twiddle knob, put back where it was (R4), works luverly.

2 year old b200 diesel B Class.

P.

So I was reading here somewhere to do the 'Reset' to fix it and when wifey came home there now thats just what I did and it worked! Did the 'Autostore' as well after.
I'll see how it goes over the next week or so but it was coming on ok with volume after a few tests.
Had to pair it up with my phone again but that was quite easy!

Guys 1 week old a45 and dabs and fm reception is poor, anybody get this fixed my MB. I have car booked in August.

I've got command 20 head unit.

Guys 1 week old a45 and dabs and fm reception is poor, anybody get this fixed my MB. I have car booked in August.

I've got command 20 head unit.

2 year old Jag XF (3.0 ltr twin turbo S since you ask) DAB and FM perfect.

Comments anticipated with interest.

as they are in my old E350 and Wifes Zafira, im hearing rumours of an AMP upgrade ill post more thursday

I've got a. 2012 E Estate . I'm also suffering the same DAB issues as everyone else here, plus one weird one, DAB goes silent for 10 secs whenever the Greenwich time signal pips are transmitted. Cars with dealer today who's going to replace DAB aerial amp. So fingers crossed..

Do you have any chargers plugged in or wired into the cigarette lighters? (such as a speed camera detector USB thing, or tom-tom power supply etc)

Hi Richard,

I have a W204 with an NTG4 Comand system with DAB. I experience worse reception when I have my phone charging through the cigarette lighter and my Pogo+ in its dock which is wired into the same circuit. This is the first time I've come across any mention this. Is there a fix to this. Cheers

Littleted said:
as they are in my old E350 and Wifes Zafira, im hearing rumours of an AMP upgrade ill post more thursday

Did you hear anymore? My amp replacement got delayed, as I had a damaged tyre, now scheduled for after Bank Holiday as dealer is busy.l

Found this article on Whatcar review ( E350 Coupe 2014)

Beautiful looking car spoilt by DAB problems.
Great engine.
Brakes take a little getting used to as you need to brake earlier and hard than in my previous cars.
…..BUT the big issue is the fact the Mercedes DAB radio does not work in the UK properly. According to my dealer, the antennae fitted to the vehicle is for the German market and not the UK market. The result is radio reception that breaks up all the time and long periods of nothing on any channel. As the antennae is also supposed to provide traffic broadcast that also is problematic. This appears to be a common problem with lots of different models from Mercedes, and not just confined to this one vehicle or model. Current fix from Mercedes Germany…disconnect the antennae, as it serves no purpose. However, that only leaves you with a DAB radio trying to pick up signals through a FM/AM aerial in eth door pillar. Still not good. I am amazed that a car manufacturer can release a product into a market and not check that the advertised functions actually work.
If you don’t care about DAB radio, it’s a great car. Otherwise, buy something else.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom