Dab thingy for standard car stereo??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
Long story short I’ve changed my work van to something a bit smaller and hopefully more economical. I had a all singing all dancing stereo in my big van with Bluetooth etc.

Not sure if I want to go the route of changing the standard double din stereo in the small van so been looking at the separate dab units that can be added to your standard unit. Anyone had any experience with these? And is fitting one any less hassle than changing to an aftermarket stereo. Thanks in advance.

Change to an aftermarket stereo that has it integrated - it’ll work out about the same plus you can benefit from Bluetooth music etc

Just bought one of these for the SLK. Haven't fitted yet though as it's an Xmas present for SWMBO.
I hate trailing wires so it will take me a while to fit. I would agree with SPX but the head unit in ours is Comand with an aux in which I don't really want to change

For an add-on unit, you still need aerial DAB, and its cable routing, which for me is the hassle bit.

So favourite would be the aftermarket stereo route

Depends where u are - DAB coverage is far from universal, with many areas having no coverage , then audio quality on some stations with poor bitrates is abysmal.

FM in most cases gives far better audio quality and better coverage across the country . This is why the planned 2014 shutdown was abandoned.

After a bit of delving it seems the window mounted antennas are crap and the ones to go for are the external ones wich then means drilling to route cable. So all in all a bummer of a job

Hi.
Whether you go for a replacement H/U or upgrade your existing is your choice, although the cost works out pretty much similiar.

But I can say that the Window Aerial in my other car works perfectly fine!

Looks like this:

I have a Pioneer AVIC Z910DAB sitting in it's box waiting to be fitted. I am deliberating over which aerial to buy, I don't want anything screen mounted so it has to be a roof mount. Choices are many and various ranging from shark fin for a factory look or one of many bee sting types. The head unit comes with a GPS antenna that fits under the dash, Another option is to use a roof mount DAB/AM/FM/DAB aerial and have everything in the one unit.

The kinetic DRA 6006 is highly rated on the Dabonwheels website, Hirchmann seem to be very good quality also. My point is that having spent a grand on the head unit, I want the fitting and reception to be as good as I can achieve and want it right first time. Most radio fitters I have spoken to have tried to point me towards a screen mounted aerial and the GPS one under the dash, they may be looking at the easiest fit option for them.

What are your reasons as to not fit a Screen mounted Aerial?
Fitters recommend it, yes, it is an easy fit, but as I understand it, it is the best all-round solution for Installation and Removal. And to be honest I don't find it obtrusive at all - they are quite small actually, and after a while you forget it is even there!
Also I believe there are advantages of it being fitted on Glass.... The same reason cars now have there Aerials fitted into the Rear Screen. :)

I've got a DAB radio in the Mini, first time I've had one. TBH, I've been distinctly underwhelmed by the choice of stations, and will be sticking to FM..

Cheers,

Gaz

Missus bought me a circa £25 Bush DAB usb sized dongle for Xmas the year previous, has served me well. Far out countryside you might experience a drop out, but for the price it was brilliant

I had mine in the old w204, permanently connected via USB for charge, and the AUX. Just had to flick it on at each start to a journey.

Haven’t used it since getting a facelift as it has DAB however, as we’ve now moved to s***** transits for work I may put it in there (it’s already been broke into, hate those vans with a passion!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom