DAB to DAB+

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Headhurts

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes GLC
I have a 2016 E350 with NTG5.2 my DAB radio works well but some stations are moving to DAB+.

I have spoken with Comand online via email and they are looking into it for me but their initial impression was that my car should pick up DAB+, unfortunately it seems not to.

I just wondered if any forum members with similar car to mine can pick up DAB+?

Or is there any modifications upgrades short of replacing Command members can recommend.

Robin

I came here to ask a similar question. My understanding is that my 2014 E350 should not be compatible with DAB+.
However I can receive the new TalkRadio DAB+ station.
Just after I purchased the car, about 3 years ago, I had the DAB aerial booster replaced under warranty due to poor reception. Would this replacement aerial booster have given me access to DAB+?

Progress?

We all had LW, SW and AM radios before FM.
B&W TV...etc

As I understand it DAB+ was available from 2013 and as my car has NTG 5.2 you would think that I could pick up DAB+ but it’s not showing.
I checked With Comand Online and their initial thoughts were that my car should have it but it seems not, unless the car does not show the channels do not display as they should.

DAB+ is apparently a stronger more stable frequency allowing a greater audience (I’m probably wrong on this)

As a matter of interest my car was serviced a couple of weeks ago and my loaner was a brand new GLA, this only had am/fm no DAB, how tight are Mercedes even new Aygo‘s have DAB.

So if jkh112 has DAB+ surely mine being one of the very last W212 should have it?

Is it a software update I need or new hardware.

Robin

I am not sure if my 2014 came with DAB+ capability from new or if it was added when I had a new aerial booster and DAB software update a few years ago. Would be interesting to hear from other 212 owners to see if they can pick up the new talkradio+ channel and if they know if their DAB software has ever been updated.

Aerial booster wont make a difference as DAB+ broadcast on same frequencies as DAB. Its probably software. Headhurts, do you fancy a trip to Lightwater to see us at Comand (Europe) Ltd ?

Cheers
Richard

Aerial booster wont make a difference as DAB+ broadcast on same frequencies as DAB. Its probably software. Headhurts, do you fancy a trip to Lightwater to see us at Comand (Europe) Ltd ?

Cheers
Richard
Hi Richard, that’s no problem as I did when you fitted my camera, is my issue fixable?

Robin

Thanks Richard. Seems the Software update I had not only improved my DAB reception but gave me DAB+.

Hi , my car is keep year 2016 and from new the service reception in the West Midlands was awlful.

I drove into Hampshire and DAB radio reception was excellent with a multitude of available stations.

Never looked back even in the West Midlands !

Same issue here. 2016 s212 with dab but no dab+. Given dab+ is more common in Europe than the dated dab standard we have mostly stuck to here, I'm a bit surprised. Reading some of the replies above sounds like it may be a software issue?

Reading some of the replies above sounds like it may be a software issue?
I suspect it is a software matter. Angie's 2015 SLK55 has an NTG4.7 head unit and happily receives DAB+ stations.

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking. Will get it looked at when I get the command firmware update done for carplay. All the decent stations locally are on dab+ so it was a disappointment finding it not working but hopefully an easy fix.

My car was looked at and after checking I was receiving DAB+ channels but could not pick up TalkRADIO plus a couple of other stations, the car has DAB+ but misses a couple of stations.

The car does not display which are DAB and which are DAB+ it just shows a radio station it seems there is an issue in just a few stations which are missing.

Robin

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking. Will get it looked at when I get the command firmware update done for carplay. All the decent stations locally are on dab+ so it was a disappointment finding it not working but hopefully an easy fix.
Realised I never came back and updated that post. After the software was updated it picks up DAB+ stations just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom