Dab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porkystav

Car
S124, Bikes: R 1200 GS, Street Bob, XL250S.
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a DAB/CD/Blutooth/ radio for my S124, any advice as to: is it worth changing to DAB, what brand/make, is it easy to fit, etc?

Thanks in advance, Stav.

porkystav said:
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a DAB/CD/Blutooth/ radio for my S124, any advice as to: is it worth changing to DAB, what brand/make, is it easy to fit, etc?

Thanks in advance, Stav.

No advice on model but dab reception is usually excellent in and around London so fill your boots they sound much better.

My car has it, and I live in London also. It doesn't seem to pick up that many stations or sound any better than FM stations IMO.

I had a BMW with DAB earlier, and that one seemed to pick up more stations..

Hasn't there been a lot of debate around the fact that the DAB codecs give inferior quality over a good FM signal ??

Seems OK in my house but not tried it on the road yet..

I've had both, my last Merc had DAB but this one doesn't and TBH I couldn't tell the difference but there were more stations to choose from on DAB and much easier to find/select stations.

Make sure you have a good DAB signal, I have it in mine and it's rubbish - Don't use it

That is the absolutely terrible implication from Mercedes though, not DAB in general. Not sure if it is the receiver of the aerial, but it is shocking on Mercs.

I have got the Pioneer X3500DAB in the ML and I couldn't be without it now, worth it for 5 live alone for me.

I had one of the active window antennas at first and it was average at best, however swapped for a Kinetic 6003 roof mount aerial and it is absolutely amazing, I have been all over the UK and the only place it has started to burble (sounds like it is underwater) was on a dip on the A702 between the A74(M) and Edinburgh, but never dropped out, on the DAB map it says there is no reception at all on that 40 mile stretch of road so I was very impressed.

So just make sure you get a good aerial.

On the Becker setup on my previous w204 C350 it was excellent and hardly ever lost signal. In my C63 with COMAND it is awful.

I have it with Audio 20 and its excellent- as said above worth it for five live alone.

I have DAB in my 2013 coupe. Never had it before but I love it. I'm in Scotland and I get decent reception nearly everywhere I go!

I have it in my C63 coupe, reception is generally excellent and I live in the New forest. I would not want to be without Absolute 90's!

I have it in my C63 coupe, reception is generally excellent and I live in the New forest. I would not want to be without Absolute 90's!

Had Dab in my Audi A4 and it was marvellous. But, the one in my C Class is rubbish.Very poor reception in North Yorks . Been back to York Mercedes and they cannot improve it and just shrug as if it is acceptable. If Audi can make dab work in an A4 why can't Merc in a C class ?

I have a Blaupunkt Woodstock, a Kinetic "stick on" aerial on the corner of the windscreen, and Planet Rock blasting out where ever I go. The only problem after a couple of years is the plastic suckers losing their grip. I think reception is all down to the quality of aerial being used and instead of using the " on board " aerial perhaps an after market one might improve reception in the short term.=. Having said that ---one would expect Mercedes to have got such a small matter sorted by now, they have had plenty of time and Euros to come up with something that works.

The Woodstock is a nice unit.

I have COMAND with DAB in the new E and it's superb.
I cover Plymouth to Glasgow and very rarely lose the signal.
In fact a few bits of Devon have been the only questionable reception.

Works well for me so don't understand the previous criticisms.
Also regarding quality - it varies with program.
The National DAB like BBC stations then the quality is better than analogue.
In fact most are.
Some smaller regional signals and programming is a little compressed however.
But try BBC2 R2 or similar on DAB and the bass extension seems far better than that of analogue IMO.

Steve

I have it with Audio 20 and its excellent- as said above worth it for five live alone.

Showing my ignorance of MB systems here, but I have the standard Audio 20 in my C220 (exec SE), with no DAB. Can it be upgraded?

Thanks

Malcolm

Showing my ignorance of MB systems here, but I have the standard Audio 20 in my C220 (exec SE), with no DAB. Can it be upgraded?

Thanks

Malcolm

Not sure- it was a factory order with Becker, media interface and 6 CD changer

Hi all

I have just taken delivery of a C250 Sport plus with command and DAB is shocking. It must be something to do with command as I had a loan C180 that didn't have a problem with reception and it didn't have command.

Has anyone got anywhere with MB fixing it? I am guessing not :mad:

I have just bought A Phillips unit for my van, its really good, no CD player, but it will stream music from your phone, has 2 USB ports, an SD slot and an aux in at the front, all in for the radio, the aerial and the DAB box as well at the correct wiring harness for the van came in at £138

Installed it myself in about 45 mins.

Its a standard car radio shape, can now listen to the DAB all the way to work, FM is rubbish near us. Really happy with it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom