Daft question about W/S button

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beaRS

Car
CLK55 AMG (W208) / Lotus Cortina / Mk2 RS2000
OK, This might seem like a daft question, because I'm sure that mose MB owners know the answer to this already.

What does the W/S switch next to the auto shifter on my CLK do. I'm guessing its for switching the shifting program of the auto, but I cannot really feel any difference whether its set on 'W' or in 'S'. What does the W and the S stand for?

If anyone could put me out of my misery it would be appreciated.

It's the 'Winter/Summer' switch.

W pulls away in second gear and changes up a bit earlier. It's supposed to reduce the chance of losing traction on wet or icy roads.

OK, This might seem like a daft question, because I'm sure that mose MB owners know the answer to this already.

What does the W/S switch next to the auto shifter on my CLK do. I'm guessing its for switching the shifting program of the auto, but I cannot really feel any difference whether its set on 'W' or in 'S'. What does the W and the S stand for?

If anyone could put me out of my misery it would be appreciated.

If you did a search this has been discussed many times.

W = Winter or Economy setting - sometimes marked C

This starts the car in Second Gear and changes up Earlier. Useful for snow and other similar conditions to reduce wheel-spin.

S = Summer or Sports setting

This is normal gear changes and is where you should leave it in my opinion. It changes up Later and at higher revs than W/C

Edit - You beat me to it Stratman.:D

If you can't notice the difference, it may not be working! Seems that a 'sticky' switch is a fairly common happening - do a search in the forum and see what you find.

Thanks all.

I'll take it out of 'W' and leave it in 'S' now.

If I can't feel a difference, I'll have to get that switch seen to.

To test it put it in S then pull the stick back to 1 and it should change down a gear.
You should feel it change when you fick the switch in either N or D selections.

It takes 10 minutes to sort the switch out. Let us know if you are going to do it yourself as there is a thread on this by me.

HERE

Last edited:
Also if you are on an incline, the car will roll back in S, but will hold in W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom