Dahboard and climate control lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRBC43AMG

MB Enthusiast
Car
2013 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 1999 C43 AMG saloon "Grandma" (sold), Ultima Sports Can-Am (sold)
My 98' W202 C240T no longer has operating lights in the dashboard nor climate control panel. Both operate together I assume. The instruments work fine. I have checked the fuses but can't find anything blown.
Any pointers?

Dash illumination lamps have a hard life and don't actually last that long.

If you can get the controls/panel out, check there's 12V (ish) on the bulbs and proceed accordingly.

If you have a dimmer, it might be more easily accessible. Measure the output side to see if the volts go up and down with dimmer movement. If it does, the problem is almost certainly blown bulbs.

They may not be push-in types, but wired-in. It doesn't matter, both types are available very cheaply on Ebay.

both types are available very cheaply on Ebay.

Can you show me link it?
g.png

Can all the dash and climate control bulbs blow all at the same time? Bizarre indeed. I have never had to change a cluster bulb since owning the vehicle. One or two instrument bulbs yes, not the others.

ahok19,

Sorry, ebay is blocked here, but search for something like "dashboard lamps" or "Instrument lamps" or "12v 40mA lamps"...you get the idea.

The last time I bought some they were 99p for 10!

At that price, it's worth buying a few different types, so you don't have to take the dash apart twice.

Every secondhand car I've bought, without exception, has had some dashboard/instruamnt lamps not working. Generally, thay fail in such a way that the illumination level just gets dimmer or uneven, so not often noticed until the last on fails.

If you ever get a bulb failure in the cigar lighter of a W164, I'd have a stiff drink waiting for you when you finish that particular job!

Assuming you actually finish it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom