Daimler Chief Removed after Racist Rant in China

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly Prince Phillip' doppelganger?

"I have been in China one year already; the first thing I learned here is: All you Chinese are *******s."

Actually, such aggressive/arrogant activities do little to dispel the stereotypical view of Germans...which is a shame. Bet Tim has met loads of Germans who don't conform to that. (I have never been to Germany, but the one German I worked with was a charming chap, who laughed louder than the rest of us when I put my beach towel on his chair with a little Union flag on it while he was out to lunch.)

Unfortunately for Herr Gaertner he will have crossed a local high ranking party member many of whom also like to stay in the Westernised expat district of Shunyi. Shunyi District: Guide to Living Here | Beijing Abode
He was evidently involved with some "bystanders" who intervened in the dispute. Bystanders---- party goons more like!
Here is another example of "bystanders" in action when the BBC tried to interview an independant local by-election candidate recently.
Faced with a similar situation it's no wonder he said All you Chinese are *******s."

The chilling face of a totalitarian state in action.
China elections: Independent candidates fight for the ballot - BBC News

lisa110rry said:
Actually, such aggressive/arrogant activities do little to dispel the stereotypical view of Germans...which is a shame. Bet Tim has met loads of Germans who don't conform to that. (I have never been to Germany, but the one German I worked with was a charming chap, who laughed louder than the rest of us when I put my beach towel on his chair with a little Union flag on it while he was out to lunch.)
Same good and bad wherever you go! I feel people mirror their surroundings. Where I lived in the country people tended to be a bit more laid back. I think we are probably closer as a nation in terms of national pride to the Germans than one would think. I think we have a bigger capacity for variables though and not just right, wrong, black or white or at least accept our own weaknesses and failings. A colleague of mine worked and lived in China and was very shocked how badly they treated each other. Perhaps this and the fact that if you had some of your vehicles blatantly copied after spending millions on R&D not to mention the I.P that goes with it, by a country that seems above international law in any way or form and where patents are violated you could understand maybe his outburst. China has put a lot of western companies in a position where they cannot compete as their people work for a 'bowl of rice' a day and Germany didn't get left out. If I was Herr Gaertner maybe I would feel the same. Sadly the powers that be have already flogged off all the family silver in terms of scrap metal so we're already knackered. Yours bitterly disappointed etc.

Last edited:
The fact that some Chinese people treat their own people badly is no justification for his comments! The fact that some Chinese companies have dubious working practices in regard to international IP infringement again has no bearing!

Rant at the individual not the whole race, not every Chinese person is guilty and to excuse his rant only encourages his racist attitude :dk: The far right are making their presence known around the world and no doubt he now feels secure in making such an outburst!!:(

Chinese, Muslim, Christians and every other race or creed has their bad eggs. No society, regardless of its spirit, is crime free. For every decent citizen there will be one who has deceit in mind.

One thing that I have always been told is that those who seek power are the very people who should be denied power. Wars are fought and lives are lost due to a lust for more power.

Power also has one other negative attribute, and that is those in power think that they can say and do things with impunity, and that the population should respect their outlandish actions.

As Noel Coward (or was it Arthur C. Clarke) once said, a poor mad is rude while a rich man is outspoken.

Pathewolf said:
The fact that some Chinese people treat their own people badly is no justification for his comments! The fact that some Chinese companies have dubious working practices in regard to international IP infringement again has no bearing! Rant at the individual not the whole race, not every Chinese person is guilty and to excuse his rant only encourages his racist attitude :dk: The far right are making their presence known around the world and no doubt he now feels secure in making such an outburst!!:(

At the top of my post I said there are good and bad wherever you go. My wife and children are German born and are not bad people. Same for the Chinese as a race. I was merely trying to say perhaps he had a rant because of XY OR Z. You could be insinuating all Germans are far right!
Furthermore I was trying to put into context how the Chinese have affected our own businesses driven by market forces and how annoying it is when people spend years developing ideas and their engineering brilliance gets stolen in an instant.

It should also be pointed out that the offensive language was reported in the Communist Party's paper the People's Daily. It was also reported on Chinese Social Media- don't however make the mistake of thinking Facebook or Twitter or Plurk - they are all banned - more likely to be the state monitored politically " sound" Sina Weibo . :crazy:

Possibly Prince Phillip' doppelganger?

"I have been in China one year already; the first thing I learned here is: All you Chinese are *******s."

Actually , I think this guy took a leaf out of HRH's book of dodgy quotes -

"The EU's Digital Economy Commissioner Guenther Oettinger has formally apologised for making derogatory remarks about Chinese officials.
"I would like to apologise for any remark that was not as respectful as it should have been," he said on Thursday.
In a speech to German business leaders he had spoken of Chinese officials having "hair combed... with black shoe polish" and called them "slitty-eyed"."

20161017030521963.jpg

The guy has German white supremacist written all over him. Is it just me but doesn't he just look like the kinda guy you would expect to kick off over a parking space in Tesco's.:rolleyes:

At the top of my post I said there are good and bad wherever you go. My wife and children are German born and are not bad people. Same for the Chinese as a race. I was merely trying to say perhaps he had a rant because of XY OR Z. You could be insinuating all Germans are far right!
Furthermore I was trying to put into context how the Chinese have affected our own businesses driven by market forces and how annoying it is when people spend years developing ideas and their engineering brilliance gets stolen in an instant.

Agreed he made have had a rant because of XY or Z but that does not excuse his racism and I was not insinuating that all Germans have far right sympathies!

The guy works for a multinational company he should no better! I have no love for China and their appalling human rights record and detest their bully boy tactics and fraudulent activity!

But that is not justification for his actions and we should not be defending racist attitudes just because he earns loads of money and works for Mercedes :wallbash:

Agreed he made have had a rant because of XY or Z but that does not excuse his racism and I was not insinuating that all Germans have far right sympathies!

The guy works for a multinational company he should no better! I have no love for China and their appalling human rights record and detest their bully boy tactics and fraudulent activity!

But that is not justification for his actions and we should not be defending racist attitudes just because he earns loads of money and works for Mercedes :wallbash:

I was being ironic when I described him as a white supremacist. I very much doubt he was being racist but commenting on the nature of their society rather than their ethnic origins. He was in a similar position in South Korea and nothing happened. I think we may have been given a very one sided picture of the incident

Everything these days is a "cist". We will soon reach a point where nobody speaks about anything for fear of being branded a "cist" of some form.

Does calling Chinese people Chinese *******s make you a racist? I would say it makes you somebody who has lost your temper, perhaps with very good justification. We just do not know. Were I to be called (and I have been) A Scottish *******? does that make my accuser a racist?

Sad times.

brucemillar said:
Everything these days is a "cist". We will soon reach a point where nobody speaks about anything for fear of being branded a "cist" of some form. Does calling Chinese people Chinese *******s make you a racist? I would say it makes you somebody who has lost your temper, perhaps with very good justification. We just do not know. Were I to be called (and I have been) A Scottish *******? does that make my accuser a racist? Sad times.

A point well made Bruce, whatever happened to freedom of speech.

If the quote is correct he said that All Chinese are Ba~@###@ which is clearly not the same as saying Chinese Ba@##@~#!

Racism is a very emotive subject, and we are being brainwashed in to refraining from using certain words.

Such words as...

Chinky, Jock, Paddy, Limey, Froggy, Brummie, Yid, Eye Tie, Erics, Daygo, Taffys, Geordies and Yanks are all frowned upon, regardless of their context or emotion.

The fact is we have nicknames for many things. Our Mercs are Mercs. BMWs are Beemers. Even I have several nicknames at work. We have to accept that as humans, we shorten and change things because of our perspective, and not all of it is done maliciously.

Racism is a very emotive subject, and we are being brainwashed in to refraining from using certain words.

Such words as...

Chinky, Jock, Paddy, Limey, Froggy, Brummie, Yid, Eye Tie, Erics, Daygo, Taffys, Geordies and Yanks are all frowned upon, regardless of their context or emotion.

The fact is we have nicknames for many things. Our Mercs are Mercs. BMWs are Beemers. Even I have several nicknames at work. We have to accept that as humans, we shorten and change things because of our perspective, and not all of it is done maliciously.

It is also a known fact that we react (in temper) to what is in front of us. That does not us make us "cists". It just makes us human.

The term racist, is is now liberally applied as an insult all on it's own. People know, that by using the word as an attack, it will lead to trouble for the accused. Calling somebody angry, does not get the same reaction, as calling them racist. In a nation that is populated by Chinese people, it would seem hardly surprising, that when caught in a heated exchange with Chinese people, that somebody would refer to them as Chinese? By adding an expletive word before or after the word Chinese, in temper, does, not to me, signify being a racist?

My comment regarding HRH Prince Philip' "Slitty Eyed" quote highlights what we face. HRH was not called a racist for that or his "Indian Fuse Box" or "Ghoulash" quotes. These were seen as eccentric or humour. Presumably as it would not be PC to have a Racist HRH?

Last edited:
Does calling Chinese people Chinese *******s make you a racist? I would say it makes you somebody who has lost your temper, perhaps with very good justification. We just do not know. Were I to be called (and I have been) A Scottish *******? does that make my accuser a racist?

Sad times.

It makes the accuser xenophobic.

The suggestion is that they are acting the way they are due to their ethnicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom